All-Star 2013/2014 Team Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Its all fine and well if you look at it that way - its when the teams purposely put certain people on the team instead of others because they are skinny mini flyers who are obviously lighter to lift than a normal sized athletic teen.
I am not saying the girls do not deserve or have the skill to be on Panthers, however I have noticed this on some teams for a while now.

I think people just need a different perspective on it. In acrobatic gymnastics you generally start out as a top (flyer) when you're young and tiny, but you're being based by people that were tops when they were young and tiny too. You go into it knowing that once you grow up you generally have to switch to basing unless you are just naturally short and thin. It's not a bad thing, it's just how it is. You know that eventually you'll be basing too most likely so you're fine with them putting the smallest up because you want that same right once you're a base.

I don't get why there's such a stigma about small flyers in Allstar when they're isn't the same stigma in hs cheer, college cheer, or acro.

What do you expect a 5 foot 12 year old with a double to do? Base a girl 5 years older than her?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think people just need a different perspective on it. In acrobatic gymnastics you generally start out as a top (flyer) when you're young and tiny, but you're being based by people that were tops when they were young and tiny too. You go into it knowing that once you grow up you generally have to switch to basing unless you are just naturally short and thin. It's not a bad thing, it's just how it is. You know that eventually you'll be basing too most likely so you're fine with them putting the smallest up because you want that same right once you're a base.

I don't get why there's such a stigma about small flyers in Allstar when they're isn't the same stigma in hs cheer, college cheer, or acro.

What do you expect a 5 foot 12 year old with a double to do? Base a girl 5 years older than her?

I think this is the way all star cheer is now or is going. This is our third year. CP just turned 11 about two weeks ago. She is a flyer. First year it was M1 and S2. Second year it was Y1 and S2. In our third year at a new gym she is S3. I think she is going to grow. She is a good flyer, tight in the air, fearless, pulls her moves well, stretches. Her tumbling is very solid level 4 and shaky level 5 (but getting better;)).

Where should she be?

I worry that when she is moved out of flying that she will not know what she needs to base on a higher level team. I'm serious!! I honestly think I may need to pay for some privates so she can learn the appropriate techniques for basing the levels she needs.

So when I see that term used to describe a smaller, younger flyer (the f one) It about sends me through the roof. I'm honestly trying to do what is best for my CP!

Can anyone else out there, coaches or parents that have experience with this give me some thoughts, ideas, pointers?

I think this is the way all star cheer is now or is going. This is our third year. CP just turned 11 about two weeks ago. She is a flyer. First year it was M1 and S2. Second year it was Y1 and S2. In our third year at a new gym she is S3. I think she is going to grow. She is a good flyer, tight in the air, fearless, pulls her moves well, stretches. Her tumbling is very solid level 4 and shaky level 5 (but getting better;)).

Where should she be?

I worry that when she is moved out of flying that she will not know what she needs to base on a higher level team. I'm serious!! I honestly think I may need to pay for some privates so she can learn the appropriate techniques for basing the levels she needs.

So when I see that term used to describe a smaller, younger flyer (the f one) It about sends me through the roof. I'm honestly trying to do what is best for my CP!

Can anyone else out there, coaches or parents that have experience with this give me some thoughts, ideas, pointers?
My daughter is a flyer and base on a SS5 this year. Last year she convinced me to let her double roster on a Y3 team as a base and a R5 team to fly. She knew she was getting bigger and eventually wouldn't be able to fly and honestly she really doesn't love the pressure of being the flyer. She told her coaches and they made it happen for her. Now she flys in one stunt and bases all the rest and does awesome! Learning the basics last year really helped and over the summer she learned lvl5 basing. But she is really strong and determined. And she's only 12 I might add

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

well
1. you put a team on the level they should be instead of jumping up a team to a level they aren't ready for..
2. because worlds is worlds...... the most important competition of cheerleading. of course everything leads up to that. we hunt for bids our whole season because of how important worlds is. clearly the whole season is about one event. everything is centered around it...... how could it not all be about worlds. in reality in this industry or any sport worlds or the olympics is the most important competition if you win those you basically win everything, especially the title...... you can be a visas champ in gymnastics but if your an olympic champ who lost visas it wont really matter will it?

I think your giving worlds comp WAYYYYYYY to much importance! In lg sr the exact same teams compete at NCA so whats the diff? just the name! Seriously if "worlds" was held in minnesota with no party at the all star resort do you still think it would be a big deal? I'll give more credit to a team that wins a true two day comp over a one day comp! which is exactly what worlds is in the low teamed divisions ie lg sr lg coed. (all teams qualify for finals) oh and the prestige of winning a bid? yeah thats set up for the eps that are giving bids to draw more teams to their events! seriously what decent lvl 5 team is NOT going to "worlds"

My daughter is a flyer and base on a SS5 this year. Last year she convinced me to let her double roster on a Y3 team as a base and a R5 team to fly. She knew she was getting bigger and eventually wouldn't be able to fly and honestly she really doesn't love the pressure of being the flyer. She told her coaches and they made it happen for her. Now she flys in one stunt and bases all the rest and does awesome! Learning the basics last year really helped and over the summer she learned lvl5 basing. But she is really strong and determined. And she's only 12 I might add

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Sounds like a pretty amazing young lady!!!!

Sounds like a pretty amazing young lady!!!!
She's very driven. She's a great all around cheerleader. She had her full at 8yrs old and has been waiting a long time for this year (to be on a world's team). Last year she said "Mom, I need to learn how to base. I'm going to be tall like you and I'm really don't like flying that much anyways". So anyways, she's the smart one I guess;) If you ever need any advice, not that I'm an expert or anything but I'll try to help.

why would they get called on it?

Because there's a really clear moment of weight bearing from the prep groups making it a level 6 skill? After the full when they kick they stall hard.

When they performed at their showoff a lot of people commented on it and everyone assumed it would stop stallig but it still does.

Because there's a really clear moment of weight bearing from the prep groups making it a level 6 skill? After the full when they kick they stall hard.

When they performed at their showoff a lot of people commented on it and everyone assumed it would stop stallig but it still does.

If a double double didn't get called as a legality, why would this?

Coed Elite had someone compete a double double in their pass this weekend and it was only given a warning.

I would honestly disagree with that. I always thought warnings were only given for "Performance errors". Ie a prep falling in level four so there's only one brace for the inversion.

But even then, that's only happened once on coed elite. SE has competed this skill all year. Obviously the judges probably have a better understanding of the rule than I do but it seems pretty clear that the stop isn't a performance error but a choreographed part of the skill which turns the prep group into a weight bearing mid layer which would make it a level 6 skill.

So comps should give a warning day one and deduct in day two if it's not fixed.

Any judges on her wanna explain it to me better?

Back