High School 2014/2015 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In Virginia schools are broken into conferences 2-6 based off of school size. They can have up to twenty members with as many males as they wish. There is no size of team or "division" break down. Those conferences are then broken into two regions per conference (north and south). Teams compete first at a small conference competition (usually 6ish teams). The top four from conferences move on to regionals. Regionals is normally 8-12 teams. Then the top six from that region compete a second time same day and top four teams move on to states. States is eight teams per regions (North and South). Top four scores from round one move on to round two and then they crown a state campion in each conference. This kind of levels the playing field in the state for the most part.

They're all so great but I don't get it. I know someone already told me signs aren't necessary, but these teams all seem like allstar. When I watched teams in PA at States last year, they were nothing like this. All had signs and there wasn't this kind of talent - not at all.

Yes, as others have said, it varies a lot.

The talent in school teams in the DC/MD/VA area is crazy. A lot of those kids also cheer all star at places like MD Twisters/Fame/etc.

I know Burlington NJ is near Spirit Explosion and Great Theapia choreographs them. Love her coaching.

Yes she does. Theapia is a friend of mine.
I know Theapia as well, and I have been with the Burlington Twp Program as a parent and coach for the last 16 years. So unless your are talking about 16 years ago, the answer is NO! I have had three daughters that cheer(ed) for Burlington Twp. My two older ones are now in college and my baby is currently on Varsity.....My oldest cheered her senior HS year (1/2) season with SE because the college she was going to does NCA and I wanted her to have that AS experience before tryouts......

I know Theapia as well, and I have been with the Burlington Twp Program as a parent and coach for the last 16 years. So unless your are talking about 16 years ago, the answer is NO! I have had three daughters that cheer(ed) for Burlington Twp. My two older ones are now in college and my baby is currently on Varsity.....My oldest cheered her senior HS year (1/2) season with SE because the college she was going to does NCA and I wanted her to have that AS experience before tryouts......

We're all right. I asked her. She does the dance and the choreography clean up in January.

School cheer is very different state to state. I can only speak about Virginia since that's where I cheered, but crowd leading with signs is not as important as difficulty here. The cheer is very long, about 1.5 min, but it's not any different than the music portion in terms of skills being thrown. Its a sport here, nationals isn't an option, so there is a different focus. It is very much all star style with a cheer, and I personally liked it that way.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I completely disagree. I coach hs and all star. We focus on difficulty at school but crowd leading and supporting the school is the primary focus. I notice the schools who do well at nationals aren't as good at their game/crowd leading. I like the traditional style cheer/music with school cheer.

I completely disagree. I coach hs and all star. We focus on difficulty at school but crowd leading and supporting the school is the primary focus. I notice the schools who do well at nationals aren't as good at their game/crowd leading. I like the traditional style cheer/music with school cheer.
I was talking exclusively about the competition squad which is what the previous poster was asking about, their main focus is competing. Obviously the game day squad's main focus is supporting the school and crowd leading. Like I said it varies state to state, but here crowd leading is not a big part of the scoresheet for competitions, so we don't focus on it. We aren't allowed to go to nationals as I mentioned. I'm not sure if you've watched NCA or UCA nationals, but the top UCA schools have some of the best crowd leading I've ever seen.

There's a video posted of one of the state champs on the first page, crowd leading is there, but it's not as big as what you see with big UCA schools. The cheer portion of the routine is very long, so it's usually more of a story.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Last edited:
Back