All-Star 2014 Summit Bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@pebbles49 out of curiosity, why did you rate my post as gossip? lol
Hey Mclovin I think that was a mistake... I meant to rate this like and/or a shimmy... Thanks for pointing this out so I can go back and change it... Unfortunately, I am blind as 2 bats and sometimes without my old lady glasses cannot see exactly what I am doing:oops:... My apology, I liked what you said!:cheering:

Hey Mclovin I think that was a mistake... I meant to rate this like and/or a shimmy... Thanks for pointing this out so I can go back and change it... Unfortunately, I am blind as 2 bats and sometimes without my old lady glasses cannot see exactly what I am doing:oops:... My apology, I liked what you said!:cheering:

lol! Ok. I went back and re-read what I posted and couldn't figure out what I said that was offensive. ha

Does anybody find the Summit bid process to be a little bit flaky? I'm not talking so much about when a team wins or gets high point or posts a really high score and gets the bid. I'm talking about some of these producers that don't list a bid declaration and/or never post final scores. So nobody ever has any idea how the bids truly got selected. At one recent comp in Texas (not NCA ) there were something like 21 bids given out. Strangely, they ended up getting split almost perfectly between Small, Medium and Large gyms. Call me crazy but typically these groups are split for a reason. The producer does not publish any final scores so there is no way to know how or why some of those bids were awarded, just speculation. Even this past weekend at NCA for non Worlds level 5 there were supposed to be 2 pd and 7 at large. Only 6 of the at large got awarded. Clearly some were passed on since some of the winning teams already had paid or at large bids but it does not appear that they passed down based on percentage of perfection scores across the level. It appears to be more motivated by division than score. So, lets say you were in a division with places 1-3 being separated by tenths of a point and scoring at the high end of the scoresheet, one or both of those 2 and 3 placed teams could get passed over despite outscoring most of the other bid winners. It seems to me if you have available bids, setup that rematch :) If coaches make competition selections with an eye towards trying to get summit bids and then there is no consistency or transparency in how they are awarded, then won't the competition end up being some small percentage of really good teams and then a hodgepodge of less than stellar teams that were awarded simply to fill out the divisions? I hope not, but over time that just might be what happens. If it does there will never be the prestige to the event that they are wanting to develop and I think that would be tragic. Summit is an awesome experience and should be the pinnacle of competition for the athletes, but going and spending the money to go, only to find out you were not even in the ballpark to compete with the top teams is quite the let down. Disney does take a little of the sting away.

Not that this will clear anything up. But this is the Summit declaration to a competition we are going to this weekend...

National Champions and 2nd place teams in qualifying Summit divisions are eligible for paid and
at large bids.
Teams placing below 2nd place in qualifying Summit divisions may be considered for at large
bids only.
Bids will be awarded at the discretion of the tournament director taking into account the
following criteria: Percentage of perfection score (which puts all levels on the same scale), Raw
Score, and Sportsmanship.
If a team has previously been awarded an
at large bid they are eligible to earn a paid bid. If a
team has previously earned a paid bid they are not eligible to earn any additional bids.

Last edited:
Not that this will clear anything up. But this is the Summit declaration to a competition we are going to this weekend... I translate this to read..... we can give the Summit bid to anyone we want to.

National Champions and 2nd place teams in qualifying Summit divisions are eligible for paid and
at large bids.
Teams placing below 2nd place in qualifying Summit divisions may be considered for at large
bids only.
Bids will be awarded at the discretion of the tournament director taking into account the
following criteria: Percentage of perfection score (which puts all levels on the same scale), Raw
Score, and Sportsmanship.
If a team has previously been awarded an
at large bid they are eligible to earn a paid bid. If a
team has previously earned a paid bid they are not eligible to earn any additional bids.

This seems like a pretty well worded declaration as it covers a majority of the possible outcomes then gives a catch all. Where my confusion comes in is when there is no declaration at all and then no final scores are posted. Also confusing is my NCA example where there appears to be an unawarded bid in level 5 and at least on bid provided to non winning team with scores that are lower than other teams within the level ( not division ). I think my point is that from a business perspective I would think offering summit bids is a way to increase attendance. But, if it gets to the point where teams show up and score really well but bids end up going to non winning teams with lesser perfection scores to fill out some other agenda it's going to backfire at some point. Already many large big name gyms won't go unless the bid is paid. That means that with so few paid bids the quality will dilute at some point. Make no mistake I do not want to see that happen but when bids end up going to less qualified teams I fear the fallout for the gym owners when they attend, get smoked and then have to explain to the parents why. There are great teams out there from all kinds and sizes of gyms the key is to make it worth peoples effort to win the bid and ensure that teams that arrive for the most part can compete within a reasonable range. Example, last year my cp went to summit, on day two we hit and were still in last place by 4 full points. We made the best of it and had fun but truth be told we did not belong there. Obviously, I am smarter now and would dig into comparing raw scores within the division to see how we stack up before committing thousands on dollars to the trip. If we just want a trip to Disney to compete we can just schedule UCA in advance which already has some prestige and people can plan all season for the expenses. Time will tell I suppose. I think that worlds bids work better since the process is well defined and there are less divisions and levels to consider.

It's crazy that getting a bid to worlds is so much easier than getting a bid to the summit! I think it's because so many gyms are only going for that paid bid! We just returned from NCA with our national champion title but no bid to the summit (which was fine) then yesterday we received an email saying we got an at large bid (probably a hand me down) & that we need to accept or deny by Friday. Now, there are only 3 teams currently in our division (Large 4.2) probably all on at large bids so at the moment we are unsure if we will be attending. It's a huge financial obligation & IF we were to go tryouts would be pushed a week back along with other things...

That's my rant for now!

It's crazy that getting a bid to worlds is so much easier than getting a bid to the summit! I think it's because so many gyms are only going for that paid bid but let's be honest some gyms circle yes for an at large or a paid bid just so they can get the banner then later they deny the at large but still keep the banner! We just returned from NCA with our national champion title but no bid to the summit (which was fine) then yesterday we received an email saying we got an at large bid (probably a hand me down) & that we need to accept or deny by Friday. Now, there are only 3 teams currently in our division (Large 4.2) probably all on at large bids so at the moment we are unsure if we will be attending. It's a huge financial obligation & IF we were to go tryouts would be pushed a week back along with other things...

That's my rant for now!
Although we know we probably won't go on at large we definitely didn't mark it just to get a summit banner. In fact it was just a packet that we got. We don't need a qualifier banner when we have a real one from the last one that we actually went to.

If a gym is only marking at large just to get a banner to not accept it that's pretty lame. Lol

Eta: @k.woow congrats on your title and at large summit bid! I would be happy with our 3 at larges but it's this defeating feeling because there is always some reason we fall just short of the paid because the declarations are different everywhere we go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although we know we probably won't go on at large we definitely didn't mark it just to get a summit banner. In fact it was just a packet that we got. We don't need a qualifier banner when we have a real one from the last one that we actually went to.

If a gym is only marking at large just to get a banner to not accept it that's pretty lame. Lol

Eta: @k.woow congrats on your title and at large summit bid! I would be happy with our 3 at larges but it's this defeating feeling because there is always some reason we fall just short of the paid because the declarations are different everywhere we go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! It was our 2nd year attending NCA & the division had some amazing programs/teams!

It's crazy that getting a bid to worlds is so much easier than getting a bid to the summit! I think it's because so many gyms are only going for that paid bid! We just returned from NCA with our national champion title but no bid to the summit (which was fine) then yesterday we received an email saying we got an at large bid (probably a hand me down) & that we need to accept or deny by Friday. Now, there are only 3 teams currently in our division (Large 4.2) probably all on at large bids so at the moment we are unsure if we will be attending. It's a huge financial obligation & IF we were to go tryouts would be pushed a week back along with other things...

That's my rant for now!

What team are you on?! I'm also on a lrg 4.2 hoping for summit.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That's my rant for now!
I know ECE large 4.2 has a paid, because I was at the award ceremony it was awarded in.

The California All Stars will only take teams to The Summit who earn a paid bid
Paid bid or not, it is still expensive when you're having to travel from the West Coast. Especially if you've attended NCA and/or UCA one month prior. Not to mention the other four or five weekends away at competitions. Due to the restrictions imposed on teams by virtue of distance I don't even consider the Summit to be an accurate measure of the best teams around (and I won't even begin a rant about the rules inviting stacking). I think they should level the playing field by removing the financial component so that all teams with Paid Bids have equal opportunity to attend. Although unreasonable to imagine all travel costs be paid like Worlds, they could at least attempt to offset travel costs for teams far away to encourage participation. I for one know that even with a Paid Bid California All Stars doesn't always attend the Summit.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back