All-Star 2015-2016 Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This isn't really directed at you, your post just got me thinking, but I keep seeing people talk about how "innovative" CSP is for making a larger senior elite that she will cut into to Senior Elite and a medium senior. This isn't any different than what Woodlands Elite or Brandon(and other gyms, those are just examples) do with level 5 workout groups that they eventually divide up into different teams. Or even what Black Ops, Wildcats, or TGLC are doing by having more athletes than spots to create the best possible team and then moving the extra athletes to open spots different teams. Not a big deal, I guess I just don't see how forming senior elite this way is any different or more innovative than what other gyms/teams do.

I think it's interesting because they're labeling all of the athletes as Senior Elite-capable rather than a different team. There's obviously an insane amount of talent coming out of that gym and I can't wait to see what they come up with.

This isn't really directed at you, your post just got me thinking, but I keep seeing people talk about how "innovative" CSP is for making a larger senior elite that she will cut into to Senior Elite and a medium senior. This isn't any different than what Woodlands Elite or Brandon(and other gyms, those are just examples) do with level 5 workout groups that they eventually divide up into different teams. Or even what Black Ops, Wildcats, or TGLC are doing by having more athletes than spots to create the best possible team and then moving the extra athletes to open spots different teams. Not a big deal, I guess I just don't see how forming senior elite this way is any different or more innovative than what other gyms/teams do.
No, it's not really different, I agree that other teams also do this also to some extent, but do they keep it the "same" but different team? Where I see the planning here is actually in somehow handling the potential crossover issues. What I also foresee is that she is going to be selective in her event selection. I think that there is something rather purposeful about CEA's team placements this year. I, personally, believe that a statement is being made by this gym as to what direction they would like to see the industry going in. Not sure how it will be received or if there will be a reaction to it, if that makes sense?

Eta: I am also kind of curious as to if the medium team will go to NCA?

Last edited:
@astaley 22, After reading your message I must agree with you about CSP's innovation compared to other teams and only thing that might make it different, if the athletes must tryout for each competitions, like competitive dancers, who compete for a part in each dance routine... I think this will be different and forces the athletes to maintain their skills...Hence, the reason for having too many athletes for 1 team...

Like I said- I think the fees are DRASTICALLY reduced for them because they're not paying for new choreo (and it's probably someone's 2nd team which fees are reduced for anyway). And I can't imagine they'd continue it for a 2nd year if there were massive problems in the gym about it.

If it's as cost-effective as I think it is, it might be a good way for kids who want to feel like the big kids, 'BE' the big kids..AND do a team (or a second team) when they might not be able to afford one (or another). Not gonna lie- every mix that comes on I either do the routine for it in my head or make up my own. Hilarious when that spills out into real life on the subway :D

I'd probably agree with you except it's a senior team. "Feeling like the big kids" does not apply, and I think that's why I'd be semi offended if I were on the team. I am a "big kid" and I want my own routine and choreo, not to live in someone else's shadow all season.

Recreating a team's routine should be a fun summer camp, bonding activity... Not a routine. In my opinion, at least.

I'd probably agree with you except it's a senior team. "Feeling like the big kids" does not apply, and I think that's why I'd be semi offended if I were on the team. I am a "big kid" and I want my own routine and choreo, not to live in someone else's shadow all season.

Recreating a team's routine should be a fun summer camp, bonding activity... Not a routine. In my opinion, at least.
Especially since apparently there are some SSX girls on the team.

@astaley 22, After reading your message I must agree with you about CSP's innovation compared to other teams and only thing that might make it different, if the athletes must tryout for each competitions, like competitive dancers, who compete for a part in each dance routine... I think this will be different and forces the athletes to maintain their skills...Hence, the reason for having too many athletes for 1 team...
That's an interesting point about choosing per competition. Although since the intention seems to be to split into two teams, I wonder how that would work. If you "beat out" a senior elite girl, would that girl take your spot on medium senior? By the end of the summer when they divide up I'm sure it will make more sense to me and others, just right now I don't fully understand it.

If my original comment came off rude, I apologize. I was just wondering if someone could clarify what was different with this scenario than the others I mentioned and some of the points made were helpful!

And if the threads on here are any indication, there seems to be a fairly decent amount of 5 to 3 crossovers (YE and GP, SE and Coed 3, SSX and 3lite, probably more), it just seems very unnecessary. It's part of the reason why I never have and never will be a big CEA fan, though I'm sure they don't care. Until there are rules against it, they will continue to do it, they just might have less teams at the Summit this year.
I would be very curious to know how many teams they would have if they had 0 crossovers, I feel like it would be drastically different than what they have.
After learning a bit more about the teal team assignments - it appears this is a very different team model. Each team appears to practice less and being on 2 or 3 teams seems to equate to being on one team in many gyms based on practice hours. I have to believe the model helps to cross train athletes better and keep the athletes fresh/fun. However I can see the potential bad taste when athletes are crossing several levels on summit competitive teams as opposed to fun teams. Teal friends if I have misstated anything - feel free to correct. And not sure how much this applies to worlds teams however.

I do see the merit in this.

There is a well-known college team (I can't remember which one, maybe OSU or Louisville) in which you tryout and make cheer. That's it. All you know is that you will be cheering. However, you don't know if it is large coed or small coed until the end of summer practices. Then, once you've been placed on one of the teams, you are still technically in a tryout to see if you will be part of the group that will actually take the mat at NCA.

I am also one of those people who don't understand how and why teams are built at CEA. I don't love the idea of tribute teams. It seems weird like you are putting SE on a pedestal in the gym- SE is a great team but should they always be put on a pedestal when there are other amazing teams in the gym? I also don't understand the cross overs being used all the time. Do you have a choice or do you have to be on 2 or more teams? How would you figure out the competition schedule when you have so many crossovers? She said she wanted to keep the cost down but if they are on 2 teams and going to different competitions doesn't that add to the cost or do you keep everyone going to the same competition but then that must be a logistical nightmare with so many people on so many different teams? Ugh I feel like my brain is going to explode

I am also one of those people who don't understand how and why teams are built at CEA. I don't love the idea of tribute teams. It seems weird like you are putting SE on a pedestal in the gym- SE is a great team but should they always be put on a pedestal when there are other amazing teams in the gym? I also don't understand the cross overs being used all the time. Do you have a choice or do you have to be on 2 or more teams? How would you figure out the competition schedule when you have so many crossovers? She said she wanted to keep the cost down but if they are on 2 teams and going to different competitions doesn't that add to the cost or do you keep everyone going to the same competition but then that must be a logistical nightmare with so many people on so many different teams? Ugh I feel like my brain is going to explode

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the kids have to indicate beforehand whether they want to be on 2 or 3 teams, or if they'd only like to do one.

I think @megsmom has a kid on 3 teams this year and can probably speak to how it works.

How competitive do you think routine will really be? CheerSport Sharks Y5 competed the 2014 Great White routine and it wasn't that competitive against the other Y5 teams at summit :(

I would bet it will be competitive. I think they may have been undefeated last season up until The Summit. I know for sure 3lite won CHEERSPORT this year in a stacked division.

Back