All-Star 2016-2017 Cheer Music

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Can gym owners make their own mixes with songs? If the issue is paying for a remix, that could be avoided if the gym owners mix their own music. The people that mix music could avoid trouble by offering "consulting fees" for the gym owners which would aide them in creating the mixes, therefore not "paying" for a remix but rather paying for a service.

But maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.
It doesn't matter who does the mixing. You need to buy the licensing and the rights to it.

Can gym owners make their own mixes with songs? If the issue is paying for a remix, that could be avoided if the gym owners mix their own music. The people that mix music could avoid trouble by offering "consulting fees" for the gym owners which would aide them in creating the mixes, therefore not "paying" for a remix but rather paying for a service.

But maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

Sadly, that is not a solution that works in this case. The artists (and everyone who worked on the songs who gets royalties - including the lyricists, producers, and labels) want protect their product from others using it for profit. Some others are worried about people taking their creations and changing it without their consent (which is what happens when we mix music or add effects to it). There are fees that are supposed to be payed every time a song is played in public and that includes in a tumble at a gym or on a stage during a comp) or even in a doctor's office. When we buy a song, in theory, we are agreeing to listen to it for our enjoyment and to not make money off of it.

I have to admit that the cover thing confuses me in regard to cheer music. I know that if a band performs or records another artists's song, that they need to pay to use it. I really don't understand the loophole of how/why USASF is saying that using a cover will be allowed in some cases. If someone can explain that, I am all ears!

It doesn't matter who does the mixing. You need to buy the licensing and the rights to it.

When I was in high school in the dinosaur ages, our music could only be mixed with certain songs I think produced through BMI because of copy right issues. Do you know What happened to that agreement?

How do DJs who mix music in clubs and parties get around this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was in high school in the dinosaur ages, our music could only be mixed with certain songs I think produced through BMI because of copy right issues. Do you know What happened to that agreement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is just an uneducated guess, but it's probably because the mixed music they make is not "packaged" and sold as a product. I've always though of it like the act of mixing is not illegal but mixing something and then selling it as your own is the crime.

I'm guessing that your high school only had a BMI license and was therefore forced to play songs that are on the BMI lists. In order to play music in public (games/competitions/practices) teams, gyms, and competitions (or the DJs that MC them) are supposed to have a license from BMI and ASCAP to allow public play of those songs. And that has always been the case.

It has never explicitly allowed "mixing" of that music, but cheerleaders just did it anyway, because it also wasn't explicitly DIS-allowed either.

This is just an uneducated guess, but it's probably because the mixed music they make is not "packaged" and sold as a product. I've always though of it like the act of mixing is not illegal but mixing something and then selling it as your own is the crime.

And the competitions and venues are profiting off of it being played because competitions generate $$$

I expected a who,e thread on this when I woke up this morning! Thoughts?

It's a miss for me. I have big expectations now for the choreo.

As for the track, someone described it as flat, and that's the best way to put it. There isn't enough depth. I think some bass beats behind it, with some layered voices and instruments would go along way. It just needs more.

Back