High School 2016-2017 Hs Competition Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Are videos coming out of west virginia yet? The lack of mats scare me but the teams are so good that I don't get scared that anyone will be dropped (knocking on wood)

Aw thank you! She's a senior this year and I have had her since 7th grade - amazing flyer/jumper!! Also a very very sweet and ambitious girl. She is going to school in FL for marine biology :)

This is going to sound super creepy but I think she may be my cousins girlfriends sister... if that makes any sense :oops:

This is Spaulding Cheer - Everything hit in warmups. Nuff Said :/
Any constructive criticism is welcome! We have states on Sunday

<iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen>

To me it just looks like a lot of nerves and an off day. Run the routine as many times as possible this week, so that they are comfortable and confident with the counts. There was a lot of timing issues and looking at their neighbor to see what count they were on. It just looked like an early in the season routine that needs more runs.

One thing I notice (and it may just be me and the way I was always taught) is that they rush the front of the floor most of the routine. Work on keeping things in the middle of the floor (jumps, 1st stunt, 2nd stunt, cheer.) They do good keeping it in the middle at times, and then inch each other up at others.

As for pyramid, I see why the judge gave that feedback as there are some slow moments. I wouldn't necessarily speed it up, until they are hitting more consistent overall. Cleaning it and selling it will help hide the slower moments, and then later in the season you can add more elements and speed it up.

Easy pyramid fixes for states this weekend:
  1. Clean the transition to it... The suspended rolls transitioning from tumbling are landing in cradles sloppy and then being set out like it doesn't matter. They should try just as hard on this catch, set out, clean and move as they do on a full up or switch up. Remind them that it is important too!
  2. After the center top girl is popped back up to prep from the flip. I would make all flyers clean sharp on 1 and the outside groups turn to the front super sharp on 1.
  3. I would move the counts back for the girl tumbling across the front. Since you do have a little dead time after the center top girl flips, I would push the tumbler back so it happens during the down time in the preps before the hitches. She comes from out of frame, but it looks like she currently hurdles on 7 while the center top is backwards. I would make her hurdle on the same 1 that the flyers clean and the bases turn. So you see a tight clean/turn and then you watch the tumbler up front before the dip to hitch and the judges don't notice those few dead counts. Control where the judges eyes are and also where they aren't!
  4. Your hitches are struggling to connect because of the way the groups are turning. The pyramid is nice and tight for the flip and then when the groups turn to the front, they move out. Make sure the outside base (furthest from the middle) focuses on not moving out, just pivoting in place, and that the inside base focuses on being back to back with the center group bases. Also remind them that just because they have so many counts before the next thing, it doesn't mean they turn that entire time. Instead of taking a bunch of baby steps, they get 1 step and 1 count to turn sharp and get there.
  5. Have the outside groups dip on 5 to press up to hit a clean platform on 7. Pull hitches & high V's on 1, hold 3 so we actually see them and give them time to hit/connect. Focus on hitting the exact count, to stress speed. It will help!
  6. All 3 flyers do something different on the squish down from paper dolls. Make sure they know where their arms are going to be.
In the future, a tick tock would be an easy add and could take up some of the down time, but I would focus on adding AFTER they're confident and hitting the entire routine. Good luck this weekend!

To me it just looks like a lot of nerves and an off day. Run the routine as many times as possible this week, so that they are comfortable and confident with the counts. There was a lot of timing issues and looking at their neighbor to see what count they were on. It just looked like an early in the season routine that needs more runs.

One thing I notice (and it may just be me and the way I was always taught) is that they rush the front of the floor most of the routine. Work on keeping things in the middle of the floor (jumps, 1st stunt, 2nd stunt, cheer.) They do good keeping it in the middle at times, and then inch each other up at others.

As for pyramid, I see why the judge gave that feedback as there are some slow moments. I wouldn't necessarily speed it up, until they are hitting more consistent overall. Cleaning it and selling it will help hide the slower moments, and then later in the season you can add more elements and speed it up.

Easy pyramid fixes for states this weekend:
  1. Clean the transition to it... The suspended rolls transitioning from tumbling are landing in cradles sloppy and then being set out like it doesn't matter. They should try just as hard on this catch, set out, clean and move as they do on a full up or switch up. Remind them that it is important too!
  2. After the center top girl is popped back up to prep from the flip. I would make all flyers clean sharp on 1 and the outside groups turn to the front super sharp on 1.
  3. I would move the counts back for the girl tumbling across the front. Since you do have a little dead time after the center top girl flips, I would push the tumbler back so it happens during the down time in the preps before the hitches. She comes from out of frame, but it looks like she currently hurdles on 7 while the center top is backwards. I would make her hurdle on the same 1 that the flyers clean and the bases turn. So you see a tight clean/turn and then you watch the tumbler up front before the dip to hitch and the judges don't notice those few dead counts. Control where the judges eyes are and also where they aren't!
  4. Your hitches are struggling to connect because of the way the groups are turning. The pyramid is nice and tight for the flip and then when the groups turn to the front, they move out. Make sure the outside base (furthest from the middle) focuses on not moving out, just pivoting in place, and that the inside base focuses on being back to back with the center group bases. Also remind them that just because they have so many counts before the next thing, it doesn't mean they turn that entire time. Instead of taking a bunch of baby steps, they get 1 step and 1 count to turn sharp and get there.
  5. Have the outside groups dip on 5 to press up to hit a clean platform on 7. Pull hitches & high V's on 1, hold 3 so we actually see them and give them time to hit/connect. Focus on hitting the exact count, to stress speed. It will help!
  6. All 3 flyers do something different on the squish down from paper dolls. Make sure they know where their arms are going to be.
In the future, a tick tock would be an easy add and could take up some of the down time, but I would focus on adding AFTER they're confident and hitting the entire routine. Good luck this weekend!
I just printed this out and will be taking it to practice Saturday !! llololol thank you:) Some of the things you mentioned we fixed this week like hugging the front of the mat and the suspended rolls being caught more secure but everything else we will give it a wack !

I just printed this out and will be taking it to practice Saturday !! llololol thank you:) Some of the things you mentioned we fixed this week like hugging the front of the mat and the suspended rolls being caught more secure but everything else we will give it a wack !
Hope some of it helps/works for you! Good luck at states! You'll have to share with us how they do.

Hope some of it helps/works for you! Good luck at states! You'll have to share with us how they do.

I will ! Our first stunt with those two full ups I proposed to have them do full up to half and then immediately dip to a full and the other coach wasn't having it. We have very low tumbling scores that will stay the same so I am trying to up our points in other areas and I want their overall impression and perfection of routine to boost up but I guess full out after full out for 3 hours is more important than fixing our routine and providing them a positive experience by actually hitting a routine. Sunday is going to be interesting.

Here is my team from our league competition this past Thursday! We have Regionals on Sunday the 13th and we are looking to qualify for the State Championship for the first time in school history! Any constructive criticism would be great! What I plan to work on so far is:

1) Voice - cheer is killing us - plan to have them run laps while saying the cheer to build the endurance a bit (I know its only a week, but better than nothing!)
2) Dance is killing us - any tips on keeping motions sharp?! Its the usual case of working on it separately and looking sharp and clean; and then when its in the routine it kind of starts to blend/get messy.

P.s. Sorry about the screaming - my assistant coach gets a bit into it!

Hello friends! My cheer babies competed today and all things considered, did amazing. We had a girl get a concussion last Friday and an ankle sprain last Wednesday, so they were taken out at the last second, as well as a girl get a shoulder tweak (who squats in the back most of the routine because it was so last second). We aren't in a state that is big on cheerleading, so this routine was good enough to get the girls 3rd place in the intermediate division. Honestly though I would love some feedback from fresh eyes. I know we need to work on:

1. Voices being louder
2. Not speeding up the cheer/motions in the routine because of nerves
3. Sharpening up tumbling (we only have three mats to practice on so we've never actually thrown tumbling full out)
4. Tightening up flyers and giving them some more motions

I would love to hear more (nice) input on what I should tell them! The main thing the judges said was to not look so nervous (which was understandable, given it's many of their first competitions ever, that they looked like deer in headlights), make the cheer flow better, and have flyers project confidence. We have 4 practices before our next competition so we won't have too much time to work, but I'd still love to hear any suggestions. The only thing we unfortunately can't work on is spacing because our school does not value cheer even a little bit and literally kicks us out of facilities all the time :/

Some WV teams, I know how much everyone loves watching these haha

VA 6A State Champs, so in love with this team every year

2nd

5A Champs (vid says 6A, but its not)

Back