High School 2016-2017 Hs Competition Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So since handstand/plank inversions that release are allowed to prep level now, could a high school team do a collegiate BHS or cartwheel up to prep? Like Panthers, but to prep level.

This is Spaulding Cheer - Everything hit in warmups. Nuff Said :/
Any constructive criticism is welcome! We have states on Sunday

<iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen>

Edit: Just read the rest of the thread! :p

Last edited:
So since handstand/plank inversions that release are allowed to prep level now, could a high school team do a collegiate BHS or cartwheel up to prep? Like Panthers, but to prep level.

Static inversion from the floor released are limited to a loading position BELOW prep level.

Static inversion from the floor released are limited to a loading position BELOW prep level.

So you can Handstand up but not handspring up?
What if you started from a handstand on the ground? Or if you did a back handspring to prone bounce prep handstand bounce release to prep? Could you cartwheel and pick someone up to the prep inversion position, pause there, and then release to prep?

Sorry I know those are hypotheticals but HS rules are really hard for me to wrap my head around. I always feel like the lines are drawn at weird places.

Where do I find a rule book?

So you can Handstand up but not handspring up?
What if you started from a handstand on the ground? Or if you did a back handspring to prone bounce prep handstand bounce release to prep? Could you cartwheel and pick someone up to the prep inversion position, pause there, and then release to prep?

Sorry I know those are hypotheticals but HS rules are really hard for me to wrap my head around. I always feel like the lines are drawn at weird places.

Where do I find a rule book?

AACCA guidelines (those enforced at UCA nationals and other Varsity competitions) can be found at Cheer Rules – Cheerleading Rules for Coaches

NFHS rules (which are adopted as the guidelines for most state associations) can actually be purchased for $5 from NFHS or on the iBooks app if you have an iPhone.

The discrepancies between the two sets of rules are much fewer and more minute than in the past. Years ago, you'd find things like "tick tocks are legal AACCA and illegal NFHS." Now it's things like "standing tucks holding poms is legal AACCA and illegal NFHS. Probably the biggest difference this year is "an extended show-and-go without a back is legal AACCA and illegal NFHS.

To answer your question, I should clarify. I said "static" inversion, which is really a misnomer. Any inversion that begins on the floor in school cheer can only be released to the floor or a load in position below prep level.

I am not able to follow the description of the stunt in your second question. It may be because I'm up earlier than normal on a day off. I think you're saying the prone from the cradle would be "tossed" to a hand-to-hand position. If that's the case, that is illegal. Release moves cannot land in inversions in high school, unless there is an obscure exception that I am not able to recall at this moment. EDIT: On second reading, maybe you're saying from the prone position, the bases grab hands with the top and kind of "J" her into a handstand position. If someone has contact with her the whole time, legal.

In your last question, if you can find a way to cartwheel and pick someone up to a prep position without releasing them, then released from a prep-level hand to hand to a prep level stunt, that would be legal.

How on earth is Lexington the runner up?
Lexington and Dutch Fork have gone back and forth the past several years! Last year DF took second with a drop and Lexington won. This year was a total toss up to me. I think DF was a little cleaner but I do think Lexington had more difficulty.

In my brain it's more like "How on earth is River Bluff third?!"
It was really close between DF and Lexington, and surprisingly not that close between River Bluff in third. Lexington edged out DF at qualifiers by 1 point so I knew it was going to be a toss up there. What's crazy to me is that all three of those schools are within 15 miles of each other. The midlands area has come on strong recently!

Here's a link to the 5A scores
http://www.schsl.org/2016Brackets/cc5state.pdf

SC high schools have seriously stepped their game up. I'm so glad I cheered when I did, I would never be able to make a team now, lol

AACCA guidelines (those enforced at UCA nationals and other Varsity competitions) can be found at Cheer Rules – Cheerleading Rules for Coaches

NFHS rules (which are adopted as the guidelines for most state associations) can actually be purchased for $5 from NFHS or on the iBooks app if you have an iPhone.

The discrepancies between the two sets of rules are much fewer and more minute than in the past. Years ago, you'd find things like "tick tocks are legal AACCA and illegal NFHS." Now it's things like "standing tucks holding poms is legal AACCA and illegal NFHS. Probably the biggest difference this year is "an extended show-and-go without a back is legal AACCA and illegal NFHS.

To answer your question, I should clarify. I said "static" inversion, which is really a misnomer. Any inversion that begins on the floor in school cheer can only be released to the floor or a load in position below prep level.

I am not able to follow the description of the stunt in your second question. It may be because I'm up earlier than normal on a day off. I think you're saying the prone from the cradle would be "tossed" to a hand-to-hand position. If that's the case, that is illegal. Release moves cannot land in inversions in high school, unless there is an obscure exception that I am not able to recall at this moment. EDIT: On second reading, maybe you're saying from the prone position, the bases grab hands with the top and kind of "J" her into a handstand position. If someone has contact with her the whole time, legal.

In your last question, if you can find a way to cartwheel and pick someone up to a prep position without releasing them, then released from a prep-level hand to hand to a prep level stunt, that would be legal.

Thank you! It all makes a lot more sense to me now. I still think its weird prep inversions to prep level stunts are legal but floor level inversions to prep level stunts are not, but I can follow the train of thought now!

Back