OT 2016 Rio Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Still bitter Chicago was selected. Still remember watching the selection from my desk as work and feeling devastated

Not at all worried about Zika, but since I was in college I planned to attend the 2016 Olympics....once Rio was announced I scratched that.

Hopefully life choices (aka starting a family ) won't keep me from Tokyo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember the plans discussed when NYC tried to get selected as a date. As cool as it would have been, it seemed like a logistical nightmare and financial disaster for the city.

I remember the plans discussed when NYC tried to get selected as a date. As cool as it would have been, it seemed like a logistical nightmare and financial disaster for the city.
I was checking out LA's 2024 proposal and it seems amazingly sustainable ( la24.org if you're interested.) They'd only have to build at most one structure since theyd be using already existing arena/facilities/stadiums/etc. And they said that they have already invested in the largest mass transit project in the nation that would be complete by 2024. If it rivals NYC's metro system it'll be awesome and efficient enough to move people around without adding too much extra traffic to the area since it's already so busy. (And then after LA has a magnificent mass transit system which I'm all for bc mass transit is awesome.)

The olympics promotes sustainability as something they value a lot but the past few get haven't been sustainable at all. I'm sure LA peeps don't want it there but I'm kind of hoping LA gets the bid for 2024 because their plan seems great and I'd be so excited to see how it works out for them. Maybe itd push the olympics to chose cities that already have the structures to use for the games so the building of new structures that are only going to be used for 2ish weeks and then be abandoned is kept to an absolute minimum.

I think it's a logistical nightmare and financial disaster for most cities. I still remember then Athens struggle and the venues not being complete until the very last moment

I've often wondered why not just repeat Olympic locations over and over. It seems like some cities either absorb the construction and it becomes part of the city (Atlanta) or it sits vacant and empty like Beijing.
What abandoned Olympic venues look like today [Photos] - Business Insider

I think it's a logistical nightmare and financial disaster for most cities. I still remember then Athens struggle and the venues not being complete until the very last moment

I've often wondered why not just repeat Olympic locations over and over. It seems like some cities either absorb the construction and it becomes part of the city (Atlanta) or it sits vacant and empty like Beijing.
What abandoned Olympic venues look like today [Photos] - Business Insider

I KNOW!!! It just seems like such a waste of time, money and resources to build a stadium that will be used for 2 weeks. Yeah some cities reuse them for youth sports and such, but for the cities who don't what was the point in building it then? (except for the Olympics)

As for why they don't repeat, I always thought it was to share around the advantages (or disadvantages tbh) between the countries. I too think it would make a lot more sense to cycle the locations. Have 3 countries per continent and just rotate around those.

I KNOW!!! It just seems like such a waste of time, money and resources to build a stadium that will be used for 2 weeks. Yeah some cities reuse them for youth sports and such, but for the cities who don't what was the point in building it then? (except for the Olympics)

As for why they don't repeat, I always thought it was to share around the advantages (or disadvantages tbh) between the countries. I too think it would make a lot more sense to cycle the locations. Have 3 countries per continent and just rotate around those.

Welp. Once Rio happens I think we would have in theory be ready for rotations

Based on my memory

We have LA and Atlanta

London
Barcelona
Athena
Sydney
Beijing
Seoul?

I mean if we'd (they'd) planned for a rotation it could have worked out nicely

I would love to see an African Country host though. I for sure would attend. Isn't South Africa in the bid presently?

Welp. Once Rio happens I think we would have in theory be ready for rotations

Based on my memory

We have LA and Atlanta

London
Barcelona
Athena
Sydney
Beijing
Seoul?

I mean if we'd (they'd) planned for a rotation it could have worked out nicely

I would love to see an African Country host though. I for sure would attend. Isn't South Africa in the bid presently?

No, South Africa had a bid in for 2018 Winter Games but lost to South Korea. I don't think Africa has ever hosted the Games but I'd love one - I'd love to see their opening ceremony. And this looks like it'll be the first and possibly last time for South America.

I'd throw Vancouver/Salt Lake City/Lake Placid into the mix as the North American Winter Games site. All of those seemed successful and/or have hosted it multiple times.

No, South Africa had a bid in for 2018 Winter Games but lost to South Korea. I don't think Africa has ever hosted the Games but I'd love one - I'd love to see their opening ceremony. And this looks like it'll be the first and possibly last time for South America.

I'd throw Vancouver/Salt Lake City/Lake Placid into the mix as the North American Winter Games site. All of those seemed successful and/or have hosted it multiple times.

Right now SA is in the 2028 bid process. Kenya and Morocco too.

Africa would be great

looks like kayaking and rowing olympians will be paddling through poo and urine and sailors will have to ride the winds that carry the scent of poo and urine in order to propel themselves to victory...

I was thrilled when Boston didn't get selected. Our transit system and highways can't handle the traffic pattern on a normal day - I can't imagine what it would have been like if the Olympics were here.

I'd leave Vancouver as a last minute option, due to the whole having to truck and fly in snow. I'm pretty sure all the facilities are still being used in some form, so that's a plus. I'm not sure what came of the skeleton and luge tracks, though. That was definitely a mess.

Vancouver might have better luck as a summer Olympics site.

I loved Vancouver 2010 it was definetly my favorite Winter Olympics I've attended. The weather was unusually warm that February if anything I'd move the Olympjcs back to December or January to ensure more snow. I go skiing every Christmas break in Whistler as we own a condo in Whistler and it's always been my families favorite resort to ski in. The Whistler village is just fabulously set up and it made it extra special. I'm really glad I'm not going to Rio I would of had to of gone alone this time around and it just looks like a disaster. I'll be Eugene starting tomorrow not sure if I'm going to make any of the track trials or not. My mom's home field was Hayward field growing up so she's competed there many times so it would be fun to go back for her. We're visiting my grandmother so we're going to play it by ear if she feels up to going as she isn't in the best of health. We might sneak off one day but we will have to see. I've been to track trials twice but I'm not going to Rio this summer so it would be nice to see.

I like that idea of rotating the Olympics instead of this constant doing those bids... I think this is most convenient and economically wiser. Maybe break the world up by the 7 continents and presently every continent have hosted the Olympics in the last 50 years, except Africa...So select Africa next and build the infrastructure, maybe in 2 or 3 cities in Africa and afterward, maintain those infrastructures and flip a coin when selecting a site...
PS:
Olympics have been held in Mexico City, Rome, Paris-- hmm, I was wondering, have the Olympics ever been held in Spain and/or Portugal?

I like that idea of rotating the Olympics instead of this constant doing those bids... I think this is most convenient and economically wiser. Maybe break the world up by the 7 continents and presently every continent have hosted the Olympics in the last 50 years, except Africa...So select Africa next and build the infrastructure, maybe in 2 or 3 cities in Africa and afterward, maintain those infrastructures and flip a coin when selecting a site...
PS:
Olympics have been held in Mexico City, Rome, Paris-- hmm, I was wondering, have the Olympics ever been held in Spain and/or Portugal?
Yes, the 1992 games were in Barcelona.

There's only 6 continents unless you count Antarctica, which I don't think will be hosting any games anytime soon lol. And I believe the Olympics only recognizes 5 continents, with North and South America combined as one.

@luv2cheer92 , Yes,yes, you are so correct about Antarctica being the 7th continent... Hey, a Winter Olympics can be held there during the 6 months of the year when it is balmy.., (haha)

Read: Athens.
After Brazil managing to barely get it together for the World Cup 2 years ago, I thought Rio might take some learnings and push on. I hope things get better....

Or they can bring it back here! Loved the city during 2012!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
I agree with you. Brazil is forced to put millions of dollars into facilities, which is millions of dollars that it doesn't have right now. Has a country ever declined to host the games? But, I guess if they really can't get it together, the games could go back to London since the facilities are probably still up.
Yes! I was talking with a friend the other day about where could the games go last minute. London was our vote. They're set up for it, and I imagine the athletes would prefer the switch!

And as far as I know countries have taken their name out of the running but I don't know if a country has ever been chosen and then backed out.

Last edited:
Back