OT 2016 Rio Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Yes! I was talking with a friend the other day about where could the games go last minute. London was our vote. They're set up for it, and I imagine the athletes would prefer the switch!

And as far as I know countries have taken their name out of the running but I don't know if a country has ever been chosen and then backed out.

Athens in 1996

EDIT: Wait maybe I'm wrong...my parents own Athens 1996 stuff from their honeymoon so I assumed they had received the bid.

I was checking out LA's 2024 proposal and it seems amazingly sustainable ( la24.org if you're interested.) They'd only have to build at most one structure since theyd be using already existing arena/facilities/stadiums/etc. And they said that they have already invested in the largest mass transit project in the nation that would be complete by 2024. If it rivals NYC's metro system it'll be awesome and efficient enough to move people around without adding too much extra traffic to the area since it's already so busy. (And then after LA has a magnificent mass transit system which I'm all for bc mass transit is awesome.)

The olympics promotes sustainability as something they value a lot but the past few get haven't been sustainable at all. I'm sure LA peeps don't want it there but I'm kind of hoping LA gets the bid for 2024 because their plan seems great and I'd be so excited to see how it works out for them. Maybe itd push the olympics to chose cities that already have the structures to use for the games so the building of new structures that are only going to be used for 2ish weeks and then be abandoned is kept to an absolute minimum.

Did they get to do the US proposal when Boston backed out? I was probably one of the few people in the are who wanted Boston to get 2024, I think that would have been really cool?

I was thrilled when Boston didn't get selected. Our transit system and highways can't handle the traffic pattern on a normal day - I can't imagine what it would have been like if the Olympics were here.

True, but it would have only been for a few weeks (and our transit system handles traffic fine except during the winter - I took it every day to work for years). I guess I'm fortunate that I can work remotely, so I could put my place on Airbnb (I'm right on a train line!) and disappear for those two weeks. It really probably is better for the city to not have it, but I'm still bummed about it.

I like that idea of rotating the Olympics instead of this constant doing those bids... I think this is most convenient and economically wiser. Maybe break the world up by the 7 continents and presently every continent have hosted the Olympics in the last 50 years, except Africa...So select Africa next and build the infrastructure, maybe in 2 or 3 cities in Africa and afterward, maintain those infrastructures and flip a coin when selecting a site...
PS:
Olympics have been held in Mexico City, Rome, Paris-- hmm, I was wondering, have the Olympics ever been held in Spain and/or Portugal?

Would rotating work if you have 7 or 8 cities in the rotation? That's 30 years between hosting - you're going to be able to reuse structures maybe once.

Last edited:
Did they get to do the US proposal when Boston backed out? I was probably one of the few people in the are who wanted Boston to get 2024, I think that would have been really cool?

Would rotating work if you have 7 or 8 cities in the rotation? That's 30 years between hosting - you're going to be able to reuse structures maybe once.

I think that's what had happened. I think boston beat out LA, San Francisco, and DC for the US cities. When Boston backed out, they pursued it with LA.

I don't have a dog in this fight so to speak as I'm not from the area and don't plan on being here when it would've come through but in theory it seemed cool and I was kind of hoping for it to [emoji14] (I would've LOVED seeing that opening ceremony!!). I know they were thinking of using the surrounding areas (like the DCU Center in worcester) for the events and that kinda seemed like it would be difficult to get people to all the places they had to be outside of boston unless they amped up their mass transit system in the outside areas.

I'm in boston right now for the fourth and the city can certainly handle transporting an influx of people as far as the Ts are concerned. I've ridden the worcester framingham commuter rail in multiple times and is NEVER on time lol. Not sure how theyd handle the olympics.

The rotating sites every few years idea sounds great if the structures are being used on the off years. Otherwise you'd have to spend an incredible amount of money on maintaining it while it's not being used and that seems like a waste of money.

I would love to have the Olympics in LA. The athletes could stay at UCLA in the dorms and there are a lot of facilities there that would be usable. Sure, the traffic sucks but LA is used to accommodating a lot of people at once.

It confuses me on how things for this Olympics and the last Winter Olympics, or any for that matter, can be behind and not ready with the venues and such when they have know for years prior that that city will be hosting the games.

It confuses me on how things for this Olympics and the last Winter Olympics, or any for that matter, can be behind and not ready with the venues and such when they have know for years prior that that city will be hosting the games.

Athens was the same way. I still remember the SNL skits about it...vaguely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back