OT 2016 Rio Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
this is great but i'm kind of miffed they used the commentary from McKayla's team final vault (the "oh my GOSH") over...not that vault.

also I realize it is 400% pathetic that I'm able to recognize a .5 second piece of commentary.
Well her vault video is easy to watch a milliom times - give or take 1 or 2 - so it makes sense why you'd recognize it [emoji14]

Confirmed that the Russians doped for Sochi and their government helped them. Wonder what this means so close to Rio and if they'll face any repercussions for these games? There's proof their summer athletes doped as well.

Report confirms allegations of widespread Russian doping in several sports

I skim read this article on Saturday

Antidoping Officials Are Expected to Ask That Russia Be Barred From Rio Olympics - NYTimes.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not shocked it was a government doping scheme. Not shocked at all.

This Russia doping ban sounds too much like what happened in the 1980s with East Germany... I really feel bad for the athletes, most of the time these athletes are innocent, but are given special "vitamins" and/or special "drinks" or "tonic" by coaches, trainers, etc....Hopefully, these Russia athletes do not experience lifelong or even fatal health impairments like many of the East Germany athletes, who many retired from the sports and died of strange cancers,etc...

When will we know if Russian is banned?

If Russia is banned they should let the US bring a second women's gymnastics team. Not really sure how they would make this logical but I mean let's dream

The story is coming up on NBC nightly

When will we know if Russian is banned?

If Russia is banned they should let the US bring a second women's gymnastics team. Not really sure how they would make this logical but I mean let's dream

The story is coming up on NBC nightly

I like that dream! Then Maggie could probably go and Amelia Hundley! If this were to happen my guess is Austalia would get to bring a full team since they placed 5th at the test event. But the F.IG. Doesn't think Russia gymnastics should be banned since gymnastics is a sport where doping doesn't happen since their are no benefits. Here's the article from International Gymnast. My dad thinks they should stick it to them hard and ban the whole Russian delegation. I just don't find that fair to the gymnast where doping really isn't an issue.
International Gymnast Magazine Online - FIG Supports Russian Gymnasts at Rio

Just for funsies. If you guys were to send a second US team, who would you put on it? I would do our three alternates (MyKayla, Ragan, Ashton) plus Maggie and Alyssa Baumann if she was healthy, but if not probably Amelia Hundley or Brenna. And I think they would have a solid chance at a medal.

I like that dream! Then Maggie could probably go and Amelia Hundley! If this were to happen my guess is Austalia would get to bring a full team since they placed 5th at the test event. But the F.IG. Doesn't think Russia gymnastics should be banned since gymnastics is a sport where doping doesn't happen since their are no benefits. Here's the article from International Gymnast. My dad thinks they should stick it to them hard and ban the whole Russian delegation. I just don't find that fair to the gymnast where doping really isn't an issue.
International Gymnast Magazine Online - FIG Supports Russian Gymnasts at Rio

I get why some think "it's not fair" to the gymnasts... but the Russian equivalent to the FBI was in on this. The entire government aided in getting the athletes clean urine samples. The ENTIRE country needs to be punished and if that affects some athletes who weren't involved, it's sad for them, but Russia deserves it.

And sidenote - just because the gymnasts are not jacked does not mean they didn't use; the specific cocktail of drugs developed helped in muscle recovery after intense training so they could train without rest. However, I'll reserve judgement on the gymnasts until the investigation is complete.

I get why some think "it's not fair" to the gymnasts... but the Russian equivalent to the FBI was in on this. The entire government aided in getting the athletes clean urine samples. The ENTIRE country needs to be punished and if that affects some athletes who weren't involved, it's sad for them, but Russia deserves it.

And sidetone - just because the gymnasts are not jacked does not mean they didn't use; the specific cocktail of drugs developed helped in muscle recovery after intense training so they could train without rest. However, I'll reserve judgement on the gymnasts until the investigation is complete.
I agree. If it was just a bunch of doping athletes I would just want to ban the offenders. But this was a widespread cover up by the full delegation and its leaders.

Just for funsies. If you guys were to send a second US team, who would you put on it? I would do our three alternates (MyKayla, Ragan, Ashton) plus Maggie and Alyssa Baumann if she was healthy, but if not probably Amelia Hundley or Brenna. And I think they would have a solid chance at a medal.

Ohhh I'll play! Ashton, MyKayla, Maggie, Ragan, and Brenna (Maybe Amelia - but I haven't followed her enough pre-trials to put my faith in her consistency.)

Ashton medaling on bars, Ragan on beam, and MyKayla on vault and/or floor; Maggie and Mykayla for AA (and a potential bronze in AA since only two of USA's A-team are allowed to compete.)

They'd be great.

Ashton
MyKayla
Maggie
Ragan
Brenna

for USA b-team.

Although in my perfect universe Texas has seceded from the US and we can send a team of Simone, Madison, Ragan, Bailie Key and we'll make Maggie an honorary Texan

Ragan
Maggie
Ashton
Kyla Ross (don't care if she retired from Elite or that she isn't on the national team because of that ...)
Amelia Hundley

This team would probably get 3rd of 4th....

Brenna Dowell
Mykayla Skinner
Rachel Gowey are alternates for both teams

Back