All-Star 2016 Summit Crossover Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't get the WC advancing to finals thing...so they aren't "good enough" to get an at large or paid bid but yet they can advance to finals over teams who did earn at large or paid bids? That doesn't make much sense to me. I thought WC was supposed to be similar to prelims.

Wow. I didn't attend the 2015 Summit but I heard about a lot of the sandbagging there and it was super disheartening. Also glad that the wildcard bid system is a bit less tough. Hopefully I can attend this year!
ETA: Although I'm glad that the WC bid system changed I do agree that it's not right to go directly to finals; that kind of eliminates the point of the wildcard bid...

Wow. I didn't attend the 2015 Summit but I heard about a lot of the sandbagging there and it was super disheartening. Also glad that the wildcard bid system is a bit less tough. Hopefully I can attend this year!
This rule doesn't stop sandbagging. It only stipulates how many times you can cross AT summit and dictates the level changes.

Because not everyone creates teams the same way. Like I said, I have no issue with the rules, but why are we waiting until May 20th to release them? Why couldn't this have been released before most gyms had tryouts and placed teams?

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about putting a team together so I'll ask, what would it have changed if this rule had been announced January 1st?

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about putting a team together so I'll ask, what would it have changed if this rule had been announced January 1st?
I'll give an example from last year. I had a girl on my S3 team. Has all her level 3 tumbling, great backspot etc. Right before the start of the season, we removed a backspot from R5. My S3 kid, even though she doesn't possess level 5 tumbling skills, is a great backspot, and as it turns out, was the perfect fit for this team. She crosses throughout the season.

So, let's say this year, same girl wants to cross. She did a great job on R5, so we decided she can cross to both 3 and R5 again. Now she can't. Is it a big deal, no but wouldn't you like to make that decision before you send out placements? And what about the gyms that don't offer a team at every level? The gyms that don't want to go D2 and go to the "other" summit. I just hate when announcements that could have an impact on teams aren't released until after placements and tryouts have already happened.

I'll give an example from last year. I had a girl on my S3 team. Has all her level 3 tumbling, great backspot etc. Right before the start of the season, we removed a backspot from R5. My S3 kid, even though she doesn't possess level 5 tumbling skills, is a great backspot, and as it turns out, was the perfect fit for this team. She crosses throughout the season.

So, let's say this year, same girl wants to cross. She did a great job on R5, so we decided she can cross to both 3 and R5 again. Now she can't. Is it a big deal, no but wouldn't you like to make that decision before you send out placements? And what about the gyms that don't offer a team at every level? The gyms that don't want to go D2 and go to the "other" summit. I just hate when announcements that could have an impact on teams aren't released until after placements and tryouts have already happened.

I get your frustration. And I'm sure some teams will have to re-work their crossovers but it's so early in the season, it seems just one more of many adjustments that do and will occur over the summer months. But again, I get what you're saying.

:)

I don't get the WC advancing to finals thing...so they aren't "good enough" to get an at large or paid bid but yet they can advance to finals over teams who did earn at large or paid bids? That doesn't make much sense to me. I thought WC was supposed to be similar to prelims.

I agree with you on this one. Winning WC day should only allow you to move to semis. It SHOULD be harder for WC to get to finals. Your a WC! I don't get why they changed this unless it's designed to get more gyms to want to compete at WC events...

I agree with you on this one. Winning WC day should only allow you to move to semis. It SHOULD be harder for WC to get to finals. Your a WC! I don't get why they changed this unless it's designed to get more gyms to want to compete at WC events...

YES!

In no other activity does a Wild Card earn you a trip to finals.

Ex: If a Wild Card spot in the NFL playoffs earned you a guaranteed Super Bowl spot, the world would implode.

Exactly, and now there are 3 WCs at every WC event. They still aren't eligible for At Larges either. I don't think anyone should get directly to Finals. The Summit is hard and that's the way it should be. I can't tell you how many WC teams in my area got bids because NO ONE else at the event was accepting them. Now, there were plenty of amazing WC teams, and quite a few had a lot of success that weekend, but I don't think that means they should go straight to finals. You accepted a WC with full knowledge it was going to take 3 routines to win.

I get your frustration. And I'm sure some teams will have to re-work their crossovers but it's so early in the season, it seems just one more of many adjustments that do and will occur over the summer months. But again, I get what you're saying.

:)
It is, and that's why it's not a huge deal, but I'd hate to be the one to tell a kid their off the team;) That, and it annoys me that this happens all the time. Just wait till the USASF decides to finally announce their rule changes...then I'll really go nuts:p

This is one of the issues I have. The limits to crossovers doesn't bother me at all. But, it's May 20th. Teams are already practicing. Why do these things ALWAYS get released after teams have been formed. This should've been told to us months ago. I've been hearing rumors that the USASF has rule changes they haven't announced yet either. Can't imagine why coaches would want to know if the skills they are choreographing are legal or not :rolleyes:

The only other issue I have is the WC winner advancing directly to finals. I don't think any team should advance directly to finals. WC teams know if they want to win, they're looking at 3 routines. If you can't do 3 routines on 3 successive days in May, I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe it's USASF's way of saying try-outs should be held later?

I am super impressed! These rules are definitely a step in the right direction. But I can see this being a huge problem for some gyms.

Back