High School 2017-18 High School New Uniforms/ Trends

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our Summer/Fall costs here at a HS in Illinois are as follows:
$350 NCA 3 day camp/sleepover
$ 50 NCA stunt camp 1 day (they receive a team tshirt for this as well)
$ 60 Summer tumble
$155 Camp pack (3 t's, 3 shorts, 1/4 zip sweatshirt, backpack)
$ 15 Poms
($30 Megaphones for the guys)
$75-$99 Nfinity shoes only if you need them
$100 Athletic fee to the school
In Fall, there is another tumbling fee due and it's roughly $70 for that season.

No uniform cost nor rental fee except for the shell for JV teams which runs about $30. Sideline uniforms seem to be used for a minimum of 4 years, usually longer and comp season uniforms for Varsity seem to be on a 3 year cycle. Warm ups, and rain ponchos are provided to the athletes for use and need to be returned at the end of every season.

I wonder why tumbling fees seem to vary so much from program to program. Why are some people's fees so high/low?

Ours are $750/kid for 10 months. 1 month = 4 practices at the gym for tumbling.
18.75 per practice, not bad.

That is about what I was paying for tumbling classes at the local gymnastics center a few years ago. Now its 24.25 a class, or $99 a month, year round.

That is about what I was paying for tumbling classes at the local gymnastics center a few years ago. Now its 24.25 a class, or $99 a month, year round.

First I admit to only reading a few of these posts, but I'm floored by some of these costs.

Ours in Western KY:

Uca commuter camp $150
Warm ups, etc (first year only) $260
Tumbling $35/month
Occasional randomness, MAYBE $50/year

Then the cost for nationals.

What the heck is an athletic fee to the school?

First I admit to only reading a few of these posts, but I'm floored by some of these costs.

Ours in Western KY:

Uca commuter camp $150
Warm ups, etc (first year only) $260
Tumbling $35/month
Occasional randomness, MAYBE $50/year

Then the cost for nationals.

What the heck is an athletic fee to the school?
A fee you pay for participating in a sport. Standard for all athletes.

The whole idea of unifrom rental, ect just blows my mind because it isn't a thing around here. Everyone pay s for all their own stuff. Most sports are the same, with players buying their own equipment. The exception being some team's jerseys and football helmets because they must be certified. Everyone pays a fee to play sports.
Total cost for Varsity cheer at my school this year was right at $2100 for new girls. It included
3 uniforms (3 shells, 3 skirts, 2 liners, 2 bloomers)
warmup
2 sets of poms
megaphone
shoes
socks, ribbons, ect
3 night 4 day summer camp
6 summer tumbling sessions

JV is not tumbling and has one less uniform so it was closer to $1600
Uniforms rotate on a 3 year cycle, so a second year JV girl will already have 1 of the 2 uniforms and a second year varsity 2 of the 3 so returning costs aren't as high.
This is pretty standard for the 7 high schools in our district, and for the surrounding districts. I don't know of any high school in the area where cheer costs less than $1000. CP's middle school was $860 this year, and they do a home camp.

I don't know why they need so many uniforms but its what everyone around here does. Middle schools always have 2. Most JV teams have 3, varsity 3 or 4. Our sponsor cut JV back to 2 last year and there was an uproar about it.

When I coached CP in elementary school it cost us right at $100 to outfit them with shell, skirt, bloomers, shoes, socks, bow, and poms via GTM.

I coach at an "everyone pays for their own items" school.

I keep costs low by doubling camp wear as practice wear and not requiring a ton of extras (ex: no, they do not NEED a $30 homecoming game bow.)

They also have one uniform. Not two.

I also keep their warm up the same so that you can use it multiple seasons. I also do not require a new pair of shoes if your previous season shoes are still intact.

Last year we were able to come in around $1750.

I really envy KY cheer programs. You guys have what looks to me like an ideal situation. Nationals, fundraising, sufficient summer practices, etc. Are schools required to provide mats for cheer?

If so, I am unaware of the rule. We do not have a full floor at our school. Our two biggest "cheer rivals" do. We have four mats. It's not ideal, but we have an all star gym where we practice with full floor, and I've gotten pretty creative with the limited space in our practice area. We have an archaic wedge that we use.

If so, I am unaware of the rule. We do not have a full floor at our school. Our two biggest "cheer rivals" do. We have four mats. It's not ideal, but we have an all star gym where we practice with full floor, and I've gotten pretty creative with the limited space in our practice area. We have an archaic wedge that we use.

We only have 4 mats as well. I am not looking forward to nationals season, I have literally never cheered without an entire floor and don't know how you can make 4 mats cover enough to do a full out legally.

We only have 4 mats as well. I am not looking forward to nationals season, I have literally never cheered without an entire floor and don't know how you can make 4 mats cover enough to do a full out legally.
imagine if someone continued to tumble off the mat and into the bleachers....

We borrowed the wrestling team's mats and taped off where a full floor would be for us. Maybe talk to them?

If you have access to a full floor, say weekly...

Get some extra Velcro strips and strip your four mats across the seams. That will give you 7 panels in a line-panel format.

Run your routine "full out minus tumbling," just knowing there will be formations that need work on the days you have full floor.

Place a heavy emphasis every day on controlling the controllables.

You can't control the number of mats you have, but you can control if:

The kids understand that you're practicing on "seven panels" when in fact there are 9.

The kids understand the necessity of conditioning that is above and beyond the norm.

The kids focus on what we have versus what we have not.

Back