All-Star A Growing Issue... I.e. Crossovers On Worlds Teams (for Bid Obtaining Purposes)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think there is a current policy about that.

The issue isn't that 25% of your team gets hurt the week of Worlds. The issue is more for teams who get their bids in November and then are "locked in" with their rosters for several months until Worlds. People quit or can't pay, people get injured, etc. Teams change over that period of time - especially in International.

Is that an exception to the norm? I believe most worlds team due to injury/non payment may fluctuate 2 -5 athletes depending on the team size throughout the course of the season. Any more than that seems to be more a rarity than a norm.

First, let me open this post by saying this is merely for discussion. I'm bringing this to the Fierce Boards for open discussion, because this "problem" is one that I've discussed with several friends, and we're seeing both the negatives as well as the positives to the situation.

Let me also preface by saying that I didn't realize what type of huge impact this issue has/is causing.

Many teams that should / will be top contenders at the Cheerleading Worlds are effectively bid-less for one reason or another. Interestingly, some teams that rely greatly on their crossovers from other top contending teams are gaining bids. (primarily seeing this in the Medium Coed / Medium Senior division)

Scenario:
Team A has a set roster.
Team B has a roster filled with very talented athletes that are effectively making Team B strong enough to contend for these Paid and Partial Paid Bids.

Team A is without a Bid (while still remaining a strong and solid roster) while Team B has utilized Crossovers to obtain the bid - when in reality the roster is going to be strikingly different - inhibiting Team B's success at Worlds because the talented athletes are back with their primary teams.

So we have...
Team A, a potential Worlds Contender with a solid roster without a Paid Bid or in some cases unable to attend Worlds because of the lack of a Paid Bid.

Team B, attending Worlds on a Paid bid - but now without there crossover athletes that filled the roster with the talent used to gain the Bid and making them contenders.

I understand the use of crossovers in lower levels, and particularly for Small programs.

But does anyone else see a problem with teams using Crossovers to Obtain Bids that they will not be using to participate at the Cheerleading Worlds?

Just to be clear, are Team A and B from the same gym, or is Team A from one gym and Team B from a different gym?

Is that an exception to the norm? I believe most worlds team due to injury/non payment may fluctuate 2 -5 athletes depending on the team size throughout the course of the season. Any more than that seems to be more a rarity than a norm.

I agree here. While I would ideally like to see a max of 3 alternates for small teams, I think 4 alternates for small teams is plenty. That is one replacement for every five kids. Seems even a little ridiculous being that high. I do not think large however should exceed 6 alternates. Anymore than six seems excessive.

Team A from one program
Team B from another program

Team A from one program
Team B from another program

How does that even happen? I thought you could only compete with one gym. blah blah blah, waivers, blah blah... I thought you question was regarding two teams from the same gym, with Team A being essentially the flagship team and team B being the "second string" for their level 5 program, but utilizing crossovers from team A, and then dumping the crossovers once they get their bid and replacing them with level 1-4 athletes from their gym "For the experience!" and essentially not taking the team that "earned" the bid.

How does that even happen? I thought you could only compete with one gym. blah blah blah, waivers, blah blah... I thought you question was regarding two teams from the same gym, with Team A being essentially the flagship team and team B being the "second string" for their level 5 program, but utilizing crossovers from team A, and then dumping the crossovers once they get their bid and replacing them with level 1-4 athletes from their gym "For the experience!" and essentially not taking the team that "earned" the bid.

I don't think they were talking about crossovers between A and B but that B beats A for the paid bid even though B has a bunch of crossovers from other teams at gym B that already has a bid and will therefore need to be replaced.

Happens all the time in Canada. Folks "collect" bids in hopes of fielding multiple teams at Worlds. Stack their teams with great kids who do multiple routines in one day (as we only have one bid event in my area), get their 3 bids and then have to drastically change their rosters for Worlds. Injuries and financial issues I get and of course we have to have a way to replace these kids, but that isn't what you are talking about. Its crossovers at the qualifying event that is the issue. I think, if you can't have crossovers at Worlds, you shouldn't have crossovers at your qualifying event.

Well our Worlds team is staying home......we have watched athletes win multiple bids for Worlds on different teams knowing they can only compete on one team, and the second team that they won the bid with be replaced by an alternate. I just hope the EP become savvy to this new practice and enjoy watching the bids go to alternates having lower skills. World bid athletes should be on one and one world team roster period, no excuses especially from HUGE gyms with over 2oo athletes shame on you, you know what you are doing!!!!

Happens all the time in Canada. Folks "collect" bids in hopes of fielding multiple teams at Worlds. Stack their teams with great kids who do multiple routines in one day (as we only have one bid event in my area), get their 3 bids and then have to drastically change their rosters for Worlds. Injuries and financial issues I get and of course we have to have a way to replace these kids, but that isn't what you are talking about. Its crossovers at the qualifying event that is the issue. I think, if you can't have crossovers at Worlds, you shouldn't have crossovers at your qualifying event.

Eliminating crossovers at the qualifying event doesn't work in the case where a gym only sends some of their teams to a bid competition. (Most US gyms are attending multiple bid events.)

The highest courage is to dare to be yourself in the face of adversity... choosing right over wrong, ethics over convenience and truth over popularity. These are the choices that measure your life. Travel the path of integrity without looking back for there is never a wrong time to do what is right." -Unknown

why is everyone assuming the replacement athletes
Well our Worlds team is staying home......we have watched athletes win multiple bids for Worlds on different teams knowing they can only compete on one team, and the second team that they won the bid with be replaced by an alternate. I just hope the EP become savvy to this new practice and enjoy watching the bids go to alternates having lower skills. World bid athletes should be on one and one world team roster period, no excuses especially from HUGE gyms with over 2oo athletes shame on you, you know what you are doing!!!!

Why do you assume the alternates will have lower skills???

I didnt assume they werent! I have no idea why they wouldnt be used but I just dont assume things that I dont have actual facts about! thats all

Back