All-Star A Growing Issue... I.e. Crossovers On Worlds Teams (for Bid Obtaining Purposes)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We pay for high school sports and clubs as well but not the ice time.

I can only speak from my experience participating in the hockey programs when my boys were younger I have gone through releases and even a "hearing " in front of the governing body as my son was a witness to poor sportsmanship.

I am not saying the system is perfect. Just throwing it out there to think about.

First - I don't agree with filling rosters after a position is secured, or "sand-bagging", or many of the other questionable rostering practices. That being said, I think you have to be very careful when making the argument that "no other sport" allows crossovers the way the cheerleading industry does.

Cheerleading is NOT any other sport.

Many other sports have multiple games and tournaments to determine an approximate ranking in relation to the other teams. The "best" team in a league is usually determined by competition between all teams in the league, perhaps with a few championship rounds between the top teams in the league. Team A usually plays Team B several times throughout the season before it is determined which team is "better" than the other.

Results from competitions in other sports are generally absolute (yes, there are exceptions, but...). There is a final score, or a winning time, or something that is easily compared to other competitions or other teams or other athletes.

Many other sports have a much smaller continuum of skills required - you expect a 9-year-old soccer player to pass the ball, but you don't expect a 19-year-old to take the ball down the field while walking on his hands. (I know this is absurd, but compare it to the difference between stepping up 18 inches to stand on someone's thigh and stepping up over 6 feet to stand on someone's extended hands and contorting your body).

Other sports aren't judged on whether a majority of the team can perform a particular skill. (Hypothetically) If they can score goals while only 50% of their players know how to skate on ice, nobody takes away their points.

I know there are safety reasons, practicality issues, etc. that make the cheerleading industry so different and unique and I'm not criticizing that. I just want to point out that we can't compare everything that happens in cheerleading to things that happen in other sports.

Simple answer: $$$$
:) And they who control the dollars own the power, right? What's missing here seems to be a way for the programs to unite and take their dollars where they are used the way you want them to be.

I was serious about using boycotts to achieve your goals. You all complain that there are a million and one Mom and Pop competitions giving out bids. I don't have any doubt that if the biggest programs banded together and sent out a jointly formulated email at the beginning of the season stating that you will not attend any competition that doesn't use your Universal Scoresheet ("see attached"), they will take notice. And if they think you are bluffing, don't cave....take your teams to the local competitions for your bids. I would bet they would be very happy to host you and to use your scoresheet and would treat you like the premier customers that you are.

To make cheerleading a legitimate sport, this is what needs to be done.
Totally agree. Although you may be able to compete on JV and varsity, it is not the same as what cheer does. This would be awful the first year or so, and then it would be the norm and we would think it's silly someone used to compete on level 4 and level 1 in the same season. I think it's the only viable answer in regards to cheating/sandbagging and many of the other issues we have in the sport.

Here is my beef with it. How large is their actual roster from that competition. I know this specific team didn't really have any other senior 5s there. So 7 of the 10 replacements would have to be from a level 4 team or junior 5.

I wish rosters were public information too.

Here is my beef with it. How large is their actual roster from that competition. I know this specific team didn't really have any other senior 5s there. So 7 of the 10 replacements would have to be from a level 4 team or junior 5.

I wish rosters were public information too.
I am all for a gym letting some of their jr 5 and l4 athletes get a shot at the worlds experience, that said, they should earn their own bid.

I am all for a gym letting some of their jr 5 and l4 athletes get a shot at the worlds experience, that said, they should earn their own bid.
I believe that is what will happen with Epic? They have had their bid for quite some time now though. Just curious why those athletes havent been competing with them and still has 8 super seniors on it?

(As a side note, i don't believe that this is the team that everyone is referring to)

I know in soccer or maybe the league I played for, once you play travel you cannot go back down and play for rec/house league. Maybe thats what we need something like this. Even if it only pertains to level crossovers, once on a level 5 team you cannot be on a 1-4 team.

The consensus is that this is a viable topic and growing problem, so suggestions to remedy and/or prevent this from happening? Okay, go...

After hearing about the gyms in question doing this, I'm very disappointed in them. SHAME ON YOU!

Anyway, rules need to be changed. Subs/Alts at Worlds being at 10 is just ridiculous. Change the Worlds rule and the crossovers at bid competitions would have no choice but to end.

Back