All-Star A Night With The Popes.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok... the "for the 2012-2013 season" part in bold threw me for a loop, I thought they typical put that when it was a clarification... just now putting 2 and 2 together that you had bolded it :oops: Oh boy, guess I shouldn't have skipped the coffee today... sorry!

Just so it's clear...I found the 2011-2012 rules :)

CROSSOVERS
An individual will not be permitted to crossover from one program to another within the same event (Exception: An athlete from one
gym may crossover to one additional gym’s Level 6 team provided (s)he meets the age requirement.
For the 2011-12 season, an all-star cheerleader is limited to crossing over to 2 (two) additional cheer teams from their gym per
competition. Therefore, an athlete may compete on one team and crossover to two more teams from the same gym during the
competition.
An event producer may choose to be more restrictive than the rules above for crossovers limiting the number of teams an athlete may
crossover to further; however an event producer may not be less restrictive than this.
Crossover limitations above do not include athletes that crossover from cheer to dance.

It was the same rule last year. I just couldn't find last years rules on their website.
I googled 'Rules/Age Grids' and while it gave me stuff about this year and the upcoming rules cycle, it also gives you a link to last year's stuff and this year's as well.

I can appreciate the spirit of the rule: prevent sandbagging. I don't, however, think this rule is the way to go about it. It does NOTHING to prevent sandbagging whatsoever: An athlete can still compete on two teams, one of which is level 4 and one which is level 2. A whole TEAM can do that, as there is nothing in the rules that prevents them dropping. Meanwhile if a kid or two wants to cross-compete on a couple same-level teams, that's god-awful.

If you're THAT worried about safety and the longevity of these athletes bodies, this cycle I urge you to put for potential rules about progressions and safety requirements for Warm-up conditions, credentialing, etc. Focus on something major that affects the MAJORITY, as opposed to a couple kids cross-competing on their same level.

Oh trust me...I think CS should be given an even greater punishment than CEA did...I do not place blame solely on CEA. I blame CSP for even thinking about putting an athlete on 4 teams...but I blame CS for shoving it under a rug and telling them it was okay. IT IS NOT OKAY TO BEND THE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!! Both parties equally to blame.
I agree with it all. I have been just trying to understand the need for any child to be on 4 teams.

I agree with it all. I have been just trying to understand the need for any child to be on 4 teams.
I doubt it's necessarily a need. It's probably a want- although I'm remembering someone post about how an athlete got hurt and they needed a fill-in. Which is why they wanted to exhibition in the first place? Why that athlete? Maybe they knew the routine the best?

To our surprise and happiness Courtney presented this to Cheersport who said go ahead since the fourth team is only exibition ( on a side note in the Youth Restricted division the team threw about 19 double fulls ) it was really a tune up for Dallas . Also they were not penalized for throwing all the doubles because again the upfront agreement was exibition anyway . So she was listed on all four rosters not trying to hide anything . This is a long one so I will stop here and answer anything I can in a seperate post.

(I shortened it to just the part I was talking about).

OK I went and ate breakfast while I debated "fanning" this particular flame as Mamarazzi put it. But I'm either all in or all out...so here goes.

So now I've seen that this Youth RESTRICTED team did, in fact, receive jackets and the National Champion title - so no, they weren't "exhibition" in the definition of "not competing". So now we are left with yet another question...(not that it matters since they were alone in the division, this is simply a matter of ethics I suppose). According to your post, the Youth Restricted 5 team was not penalized for throwing illegal tumbling in their routine. So not only is Cheersport bending rules in registration for CEA, but also in scoring???

(I shortened it to just the part I was talking about).

OK I went and ate breakfast while I debated "fanning" this particular flame as Mamarazzi put it. But I'm either all in or all out...so here goes.

So now I've seen that this Youth RESTRICTED team did, in fact, receive jackets and the National Champion title - so no, they weren't "exhibition" in the definition of "not competing". So now we are left with yet another question...(not that it matters since they were alone in the division, this is simply a matter of ethics I suppose). According to your post, the Youth Restricted 5 team was not penalized for throwing illegal tumbling in their routine. So not only is Cheersport bending rules in registration for CEA, but also in scoring???
This just gets more and more interesting. And disturbing. While I'm not happy that this happened, I am happy that it happened with a prominent well-known gym because it is really bringing forth discussion AND dissection of the rules under a microscope which probably would not had happened if it was a no-name gym.

Can we all keep in mind that there is a difference between "cheating" and "breaking a rule". Obviously intent is critical. If the intent was to cheat, would the girls name have actually been on all 4 rosters?

Just like self-defense, manslaughter and murder are different in penalties even though the result is the same.

At this point, CEA has been penalized but the pitchfork crew really should be upset with USASF and the penalty if they don't feel there were enough lashes.

I'm vaguely reminded of that video of that Mini team who went level 3 for one competition because they had NO competitors. Those who had tucks threw them, they did a couple harder skills not in their level..

Our minis went level 5 a couple years ago, since they were alone in the division. This brought that to mind, too.
And they did receive medals or whatever for "winning" their division. It wasn't a national title and a jacket on the line, so does that make a difference?

Can we all keep in mind that there is a difference between "cheating" and "breaking a rule". Obviously intent is critical. If the intent was to cheat, would the girls name have actually been on all 4 rosters?

Just like self-defense, manslaughter and murder are different in penalties even though the result is the same.

At this point, CEA has been penalized but the pitchfork crew really should be upset with USASF and the penalty if they don't feel there were enough lashes.
^This <3

There IS a difference between cheating and breaking a rule, I agree. But is there a difference in the ethics behind either? No. Do I think CEA should be banned from worlds for having an athlete compete on 4 teams? No. Do I think all 4 of those teams should have to give their jackets and trophies back? Yes. Do I think CS should be punished as well? ABSOLUTELY! No matter how it's worded, what was done was wrong, by all parties involved. CSP should never have asked that girl to compete on the 4th team KNOWING the rules say no and CS should never have told her to go ahead acting as though they are above the rules themselves...

No. Because there IS no context of what an exhibition actually is in the first place...holy tomatoes I've just figured this whole issue out!

No. I googled it just to be sure I wasn't off my rocker.
Wiki
An exhibition game (also known as an exhibition match, exhibition, demonstration, demo, exhibit or friendly) is a sporting event in which there is no competitive value of any significant kind to any competitor (such as tournament or season rankings, or prize money) regardless of the outcome of the competition.
Dictionary.Com
an unofficial game played under regular game conditions between professional teams, usually as a part of preseason training or as a fund-raising event.

Just because USASF doesn't define it in the rules does not mean the definition is up for interpretation.

Back