All-Star After The 2013 Worlds, Trends I Would Like To See Die Fast....ok Go!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok, i'll bite at this..... my opinion.... Rays. I'm a huge fan of their program, and as a relatively new gym owner, I can only dream that my teams grow into having HALF as much technique as they have program-wide. Just to use Orange as an example- they won and they deserved to. They were clean and skilled, and in terms of technique they are way above the rest. BUT I don't get excited about their routine.... It feels very "traditional" and UCA-ish, while I feel that allstar in general has gone in the opposite direction- performance at the expense of solid technique. We talk about the fiercest dancers and the teams that "give us life"... I don't know that any of the rays teams do that for me, but I love watching them because of the excellent technique that is demonstrated across all levels. They are ultimately successful because technique and execution is-and should be- rewarded more than entertainment value.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

you took the words right out of my mouth... i like that the rays program has the impeccable technique, and cleanness. but their routines "look" basic, no flair to em, etc. if they could figure out a way to have the excitement of F5, but yet still have the technique that they always do, they'd be virtually untouchable.

I'd love the concept that somehow Level 1-4 athletes don't work as hard or deserve as much as Level 5 athletes to fade away.

I've been biting my tongue in the Summit threads. But really, who can honestly believe that having an event like The Summit will prevent kids from pushing to Worlds level skills? You may have a few that won't, but those kids weren't going to be the type to push for a standing full to start with.

I know this is more for the Summit Thread but....

I couldn't agree more. I own a small gym in one of the few places left in the nation that isn't covered in cheerleading gyms (our closest competitor is over 2 hours away). Since the area has never had all star we have a Senior 1 and a Senior 3 this year. This kids are working so hard, and putting in the time, since they didn't have the opportunity to before. I doubt more then 2-3 of them will ever see a level 4 team, let alone level 5. Summit is great for us because it gives them pride in what they do and really expands our sport beyond the glass ceiling L5 presents. Don't get me wrong, I love worlds, L5 and all that; its just not feasible for every athlete, team and gym. Getting my kids to Summit will hopefully give them a hunger to achieve L5.

1. Spectators who love the team currently competing so much that they just have to stand to cheer them on, sometimes marking the routine with the team. Honey, even if you gave birth to the team, you can sit and watch and cheer while they perform and stand and cheer before and after the music. The people behind you want to see that team too!
  2. Downstairs bathrooms and concessions at the Milkhouse closed so that no one can shimmy themselves into the “special viewing area” without going outside three teams before the team you want to support comes on.
  3. Hearing “there is no saving seats, no cheer bags can be left in seats” followed by “check out the 2013 Worlds clothing at the concession area.”
  4. Feeling like I could count how many people in the venue cheered for the international teams competing. Come’on y’all! If you live in the U.S, you are hosting these teams. Show them some courtesy.
  5. Having to text a friend who is watching the live feed at home to find out who won the division I just watched compete --- because awards are held somewhere else.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with this one a little bit. Do I think the VIP seating was too large, yes. Do I think the VIP section is for those that shelled out the 25k per team (paid bids) that are there to support their clients, absolutely. There should be a happy medium I agree but I'm not gonna take anything away from the EP's that helped pay the way (or help pay the way) for teams to compete. JMO.

Ummmm, I thought we paid that $25k per paid bid team when we paid admission and our athlete's registration fees at the EP's competition.

Ummmm, I thought we paid that $25k per paid bid team when we paid admission and our athlete's registration fees at the EP's competition.
You didn't. When you were doing that you were paying for a service to attend that event.

That's like saying bc you paid to go watch a movie you should have access to Tom Cruises car bc you paid for it.

You didn't. When you were doing that you were paying for a service to attend that event.

That's like saying bc you paid to go watch a movie you should have access to Tom Cruises car bc you paid for it.

Spending $25,000 on a paid bid is the cost of doing business. Just like marketing and advertising costs. Without the offer of a paid bid, that bid competition would not have the additional money that these level 5 teams bring, including the money that these Worlds gyms bring with their lower level teams. I don't feel that the VIP section should take space away from the parent section. Without these paying parents, these "VIPs" wouldn't have a business. And trust me, we as parents spend a lot more than $25k over the course of 5+ years of all-star fees and associates costs.

Good analogy!

That's what is so wonderful about having this board; hearing perspectives of people outside of your own little group.

I hate to say this but the VIP section is all too common in all big business now a days. Think of all the companies that send people on these crazy trips and conferences to represent them and because they paid money they expect the highest of special treatment.

I like to see it as without other people paying for your services, your company would fall apart. There's gotta be a happy medium somewhere. Parents pay lots and lots and lots and lots of money for their child to compete to earn these bids from these VIP people and companies. That money partially funds those bids whether people want to admit it or not. Parents deserve to see the service they're paying for aka be closer to the floor and not be made into herded around like cattle.

At festivals I've been to, the VIP seating is down the sides of the stage, but directly in front is for anyone; could something like that work for cheer?

Sorry, but I dislike your analogy. I think a better analogy would be to say that we're paying for good seats at a concert to visit our fav artist or a sporting event like the Superbowl, NCAA championship, etc., but somehow when we get there someone's in our seats and won't move bc they belong to the higher ups of the NFL, siblings of said artist, athlete, etc.

No, they get their own special seats but it's not right in front of the action (with the exception of people who are required like coaches, photographers, athletes, stagehands- although they actually are literally on stage, etc.) Those VIP's usually get seats in places like the boxes, actually being on stage somewhere hidden, or in special seating with seats that are NOT sold, but are def not front row, floor, and other high profile places designated for fans and/or people purchasing tickets for an event. Are those concerts still providing us a service? Sure. Do they deserve half of the seat on the floor for VIP's? No

Just my 2 cents

p.s. @yojaehs
I hope in no way does my post come across as rude and/or snarky, bc that was not my intention. I just differ in my opinion.

Back