Age Grid... Should The Age To Be On A Senior Level 5 Team Change To 13?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Tbh, I think it should be based solely on individual cases... For example, my daughter is 12 and turned that age in Sept., but she was placed on a youth team, but she is too mature and have trouble fitting in on this team...I say all of these things to simply say, if a child is normally around children older like my daughter, at home all of her close friends tend to be in an older group (13 -15)... So I say, that an athlete can be 12 and be a very mature and fit in well with Senior age athletes. This decision should be based on the individual and not a calendar...

How can it depend on the individual child? It is either 13 or not. Personally I would like to see it at 14 and I would like to see that birthday cut off backed up to May 31 where it used to be. Pushing these little girls onto Worlds teams with the big kids with big kids issues is a huge issue. Why not let them be innocent as long as possible.

Tbh, I think it should be based solely on individual cases... For example, my daughter is 12 and turned that age in Sept., but she was placed on a youth team, but she is too mature and have trouble fitting in on this team...I say all of these things to simply say, if a child is normally around children older like my daughter, at home all of her close friends tend to be in an older group (13 -15)... So I say, that an athlete can be 12 and be a very mature and fit in well with Senior age athletes. This decision should be based on the individual and not a calendar...
There needs to be something definitive in place. It absolutely cannot be based on an individual child; someone will always feel they have a "valid" reason for why their child is the exception.

That being said, I do feel that many 12 year olds have absolutely no problem once on a Worlds team. But I would base that on skill, maturity level and overall ability to handle pressure, not on physical stature.

Your child's level of "innocence" doesn't really hinge on his/her teammates. As the parent, you have more influence than you think on what inappropriate information your kids come in contact with.

That and I'm telling you, junior kids are far less likely to "watch their mouths" around younger teammates.

It's more about coachability and maturity in THAT sense than it is about being "mature" enough to deal with older kids.

Ex: If you turn on the waterworks at the first sign of a stern critique from a coach, you're not ready. Forget how mature you are in relation to high school kids. Are you coachable enough to handle the feedback that comes with being on a team with older kids? EX: The critique you get as a Y3 flyer is likely totally different from that of a Senior 5. Can you take thar correction without crying/becoming completely unable to perform the rest of practice?

Other example: I've had kids be unprepared for the difference in coaching styles and feedback between middle and high school. You may hang with high school kids yet not be ready to take on high school level practices.

I believe the age should be 15 through 19 (after Aug 31st) for Sr. lv.5 teams for worlds divisions. This would eliminate the majority of sm. all girl and coed teams just throwing teams together, going to a Worlds bid competition in Dec. that no one is at and getting an at large bid that doesn't belong there in the first place. I also think with the addition of the new Junior 5 restricted div. next year, this could lead to eventual return of the much deserved Junior 5 teams to return to worlds, even if it means competing as Intl. teams (3 per country advance to finals) as before. These were some of the greatest routines ever watched at worlds for their time. They could make their age 11 or 12 through 14 for the worlds only division. Considering they allow Jr. dance at worlds.

Thoughts?

Back