All-Star Amazing Level 2 Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Wow first time I ever read thru an entire thread. Coming from a small gym I have mixed opinions. I definitely think what they did is unfair, I think of it it from the standpoint of a lvl 2 team that worked really hard all season, went undefeated all season, and is excitedly anticipating their first nca win only to find out they will be losing to a stacked team. Stacked=majority of athletes cheering on higher level teams. Yes they r all competing the same skills but everyday in my gym we warm up handsprings all levels, there is a HUGE difference between my level 2 handsprings and my open 5 handsprings. Everytime I watch the 5's warm baskets I'm thinking, wow I wish my 2's straight rides looked liked that. So there is definitely an advantage. From a small gym perspective- by the time I pull all my jump to backs I don't have enough standing tucks to make a level 4 team. So I can either cross my 9 youngest 5's to j4 or I can cross 11 standing tucks to j2 ( no lvl 3 team). So when ppl see our j4 and say they win bcuz it's the whole lvl 5 team they have no idea why we made the decision we did. until there is a concrete rule put in place gyms reserve the right to use their own judgement to decide how teams are filled. The only thing about the rockstar situation that bothers me is that they went to cheersport. If ur whole purpose was to "experience" nca than why would u also compete at cheersport, that title should have been left for full year teams as some have literally worked all yr to win cheersport not 12 prac.

Disclaimer: I do not have an opinion on this topic, nor do I have a team involved. Just playing devils advocate by trying to create the most relevant analogy I can think of off the top of my head:

Mark Ingram, Cam Newton, and Robert Griffin III (all heisman candidates) played NCAA Football... They could've attended a Junior College. Ultimately, it's their decision and their families decision what team they want to play for. It's really not up to the fans or the schools where these players go to school, no matter how talented they are.

So they're the best running backs and quarterbacks in the nation coming out of high school. Should the NCAA force them to go to a Division 1 university such as Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma State or LSU... Or should the players be able to decide for themselves if they want to go to LSU or Western Arizona Community College?

We all assume that an athlete will want to compete on a team that is appropriate for their skill level, but there are cases where kids want to cheer with their friends on the level 2 team rather than be on the level 4. Similarly, there are cases where very talented college athletes go to community collegee or start at a smaller school. In this case, your analogy works. However, we wouldn't allow these athletes to play for both the community college and the D1 school, would we?

I don't have a dog in this fight. I can see the merits in both sides, and I have been hesitant to post on this subject as a result. My small gym would not have a senior team if it weren't for crossovers. There are 10 athletes on our senior 3, and 5 of them are on our junior 2. They are probably the strongest athletes on the J2- heck, 3 of them can throw layouts and standing tucks. Is it unfair that they compete J2? Maybe, but they are junior aged and they want to compete with their friends on the level 2 and still be challenged with working on the S3.

The other thing that I want to point out, and I think someone else already mentioned it, is that the Rockstar J2 was definitely a beatable team. Their jumps and tumbling were obviously flawless, and the choreography was good. However, did anyone else thing the routine felt slow? I could definitely see where they only had a handful of practices to prepare.

Let's face it we have all had to take a higher level athlete once or twice to fill a team (unless ur a huge gym who can actually fill a team) but being on the smaller side of the spectrum it is almost impossible to fill our teams w/o crossovers. 95% of the time it's with athletes a level higher who are willing 2 do 2 teams. However to take a team filled w/ level 2-5 athletes and make a lvl. 2 team is a little ridiculous. I can't speak for other ppl but when I think of a 1/2 yr. team I think of pop Warner kids, or kids that decided to late in the season they wanna cheer not fielding a team from kids within the gym.

Realistically there is no way to stop this from happening but it would be nice to know ppl are not stacking teams just to win. It's hard explaining to ur kids u got beat by level 5 athletes on a lvl 2 team. There is a difference between needing a fill in or a few kids to fill a couple spots and completely stacking a team, and personally I think it's stupid. Make your younger lower lvl kids strive to be better! How can u do that of ur just gonna put higher levels on the team. It takes away from the true lvl. 2 athletes.

does anyone have any videos of ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, jaw on the floor, creative, level 2 teams? i coach 2 level 2 teams and i would like to see how my girls and compare to some of the best in the country!!

Have a look at our level 2 category at CheerZoo.com. You can also do a search for "level 2" and pull up all of our level 2 vids at once.

ok Ive been stewing on this all day long...would you guys be as upset if this was the original team that was made at the beginning of the season? like if Rockstar lost a lot of business and didnt have enough to make killers and other teams? and this team was the result of that?

Good question, but I think it would still bother me that they did not at minimum go level 3. Coming from a small gym, I know the difficulty the coaches have had some years trying to put together teams while juggling the age limits and skill levels, but it has always seemed to me that our gym pushes the athletes to strive higher than what the initial team makeup might indicate would be the "safer" level in terms of competitiveness.

ok Ive been stewing on this all day long...would you guys be as upset if this was the original team that was made at the beginning of the season? like if Rockstar lost a lot of business and didnt have enough to make killers and other teams? and this team was the result of that?

If the athletes were still combination of levels 2, 3, 4, and even a level 5 athlete thrown in then I would still be upset that they didn't at the minimum go level 3. The few level 2 athletes could easily be worked into a level 3 routine with all the other athletes having level 3 skills. I see absolutely NO reason for a level 5 worlds athlete to be on a junior 2 team for the "opportunity" to compete in Dallas. If she is still junior age right now she has plenty of other chances to compete at Dallas.

I just have to say, I coached a Level 3 team last year that had about 10 practices, that was combined of kids from our Jr3 team and 4.2 team. We're a small gym, and we did the best we could to give our older athletes the chance to throw their tumbling, since we couldn't put together 2 senior teams at tryouts. Needless to say, we went to UCA and got 2nd of 12. I see both sides of this argument 100%, but to say they couldn't have gone Level 3 is a bit silly to me.

At least Rock Star has competed quite a bit before going to NCA (I think he said 3 comps) the other team just competed this last weekend at a Spirit Cheer competition and it was the only time they have competed all season. Basically getting that one comp in before they go to Dallas. Their final score was higher then some level 3 teams!
I am completely behind small gyms using crossovers to help create at least close to full teams, but when the MAJORITY of your team is 3, 4, or 5? All your doing is teaching the kids that winning at any cost is acceptable and fair play is a joke.

Back