All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NOTHING is worse than little girl syndrome. Where a teeny tiny flyer does not lock out and flails her body everywhere and shows no control because she's small and knows her bases will hold her up. I even struggled with it with a senior on the high school team I coach. And then the problem arises where you can really take them out of the air, because they are too small to base. But sometimes it seems like the smallest girls in the air are the least tight.

It an issue I think with allstar cheer. Some of these girls are super talented and hold their own on a senior team, they just happen to be small. Many gyms don't have junior 5s to place them on, so they move up to seniors.

I agree with it being easy. I was always a strong backspot, so my coaches would usually put me with a bigger or newer flyer. Some of the less talented bases got put under the little girls. Why? Because it's not hard to keep them in the air. Girls would be thrilled when they got assigned to a "fetus" group because they knew it was less work for them.

that right there, is coaches settling. im gonna use my self as a prime example. im a good 4' 11", 90lbs soaking wet. what did i do? base. wanna know why? because i sucked at flying. and you know what, i did it. and i did it well, and with flyers that were not fetuses. why? because my coach taught me proper technique. with good technique, i could have put the guys in the air...
and what do i do now? fly, on a coed team.. not because im little, not because they can throw me around like a rag doll and i can stay up there regardless, because i have wonderful body control, because i know what it's like to be both in the air and underneath.

king, do you think changing the worlds age would help colleges? i think it's smart, but will it help the whole progression onto the next thing?
and you said they are "stuck in 1999" lol, how do you think that can be fixed? especially if they are shoooting down allstars and anything to do with them left and right....

the fact of the matter is college needs allstar MORE than allstar needs college. college cheer, as I have said many times, is dying. it is not overall healthy. the fact that open teams are starting to spring up everywhere is a sign that it is filling a need that colleges cant. do i think colleges will do what is necessary to fix what needs to be fixed? no. too proud. a few will (GT, OSU, HPU) but most are too above allstar.

can you imagine a college football coach looking 'down' on high school football? so much he wouldnt go out to recruit the best players? how long would they last as a major university college coach?

you are right. while allstars is changing for the better, college is changing for the worst. if you think about it, alot of these big injuries you see happen in college... and colleges are becoming more strict with what you can do rather that more innovated, limiting any possibility for growth, and chasing talented athletes to the dark side. aka allstars :D hahaha
i know i want to do an open team... i can use more of my skills, and have more room to grow. i know alot of my tumbling for instance is wasted as a college cheerleader. allstars honestly can do more than college cheerleaders, hence the reason college cheer is dying...

I find it amusing that the people most against fetus flyers are the same people glorifying the teams that use fetus flyers.

Do you think TG, and CALI are using "normal" sized flyers?

Something to think about:
Number of high school football players: 300,000
Number of college football players: 17,400 (5.8%)

Low estimate of JUST allstar cheerleaders: 125,000
Following the same number there should be: 6,000 competitive college cheerleaders. If filled perfectly that would mean 300 competitive college cheer teams. How many competed NCA or UCA last year?

College teams that hate all-star cheerleaders hate them, not because they're not skilled, but because they don't know how to cheer. Like at games. And because they sometimes go in with the attitude that they were on an awesome level 5 team and thus they know everything there is to know about cheerleading and don't want to be taught to do something differently.

You think high school cheerleaders don't have this attitude. I know they do, some act like they walk on water because they cheer in high school. Honestly all types of girls try out for college cheer including people who didn't cheer at all in high school but ex gymnasts and dancers who have no experience in cheer but decided to cheer later in college. It's not that hard to teach someone to cheer at a game, especially if your judged on cheer/sideline skills at the tryout.

On a side note I think on the West Coast we have more than enough pint size flyers in the air.

It's sad to see that some people don't look at these athletes as a part of a team. SIZE? what about SKILLS? But I consider CHEER as a SPORT and SPORT shouldn't have anything to do with looks. Well, I take that back, CHEER does have a lot to do with looks.

unfortunately, size is the way of the sporting world. Football players are recruited based off of size first and skill second. In the football world there is a magical difference between 5'11 and 6'0.

allstar has matured a lot faster and is a lot more established now that college cheer. Why? we compete a heck of a lot more. the sport has evolved faster, uses more people, and most of the new ideas now come from allstar.

So much high school and college choreography comes from all stars. I can't tell you how many times schools in both college and high school take many things from all star.

You think high school cheerleaders don't have this attitude. I know they do, some act like they walk on water because they cheer in high school. Honestly all types of girls try out for college cheer including people who didn't cheer at all in high school but ex gymnasts and dancers who have no experience in cheer but decided to cheer later in college. It's not that hard to teach someone to cheer at a game, especially if your judged on cheer/sideline skills at the tryout.

On a side note I think on the West Coast we have more than enough pint size flyers in the air.

hah, so I wasnt the only one who noticed?

it is kinda like GT using college kids on a club team or CEA's crossovers. They are legally using the system to their advantage as much as possible. Not liking it isn't gonna change it. It isn't a moral thing. If no one is a fan of how people are using the rules legally then they need to be changed. But I don't think we can get mad because someone is exploiting the rules.

i got a heads up warning that you would come unglued about this....

like i said, no where did we say they weren't good enough to be on the team. or bashed their talent. i also stated that they all didn't look bad. but it is all personal preference for what we like to see, and if i think itty bitty girls in the air, that are barely staying in the air, looks bad, then i'm going to think that. it's an opinion. we all have them, and sure, you can get angry about it, but it's not going to change the fact that i think it looks bad.
PEACE AND HAPPY CHEERING.

What about the gyms that maybe dont have as many kids as lets say CEA or Top Gun or Cali? My gym has around 60 girls in it. My senior 3 team has tiny flyers but I didnt have the resources to have bigger flyers. Was my team suppose to be horrible so I can teach some big girls who were always bases to fly? This means I wouldnt be able to have 360's or tick tocks or anything. Not to mention how much better my peanuts have gotten because they knew they had to step up not only their stunting but their tumbling to hang with the big girls. I have one girl who is in 6th grade (12 years old next month) who looks like a 5 year old. Its just how she is. People can stare but its not going to make a difference. I feel like sometimes people forget how different smaller gyms are then bigger gyms.

Excellent post. Exactly what I was thinking. To be honest, this entire thread is rather offensive. If I was the parent of a 13 year old girl who just happened to be very small for her age, I think I would be offended by her being reguarded as a "fetus". These girls work just as hard than everyone else on their teams. Should they be punished because they are small???

For those of you making all the noise... what would you have these talented flyers do who are 13 but just happen to be very small for their age? Should they base? Seriously? Should they stand the on the floor and pretend to base just because they're small? Oh yeah, there's the answer, let's take talented girls and put them as back spots because their just too small. Let's throw up some 15 year old who's bigger but less talented in the air simply because they're bigger.

What a joke. I'm sorry, but all of you need to stop hating. Should we add in a height requirement now for Level 5 Senior flyers who are of age? Give me a break... what's next... are we going to start hating on kids on the special needs teams who don't seem quite mentally challenged enough?????

You're born how you're born. I enjoy watching AWESOME FLYERS do AWESOME STUNTS, reguardless of their size, so long as they are of age for that level. But then again, I love the sport... and what's more, I LOVE WATCHING TALENT. So as far as I'm concerned, if you've got the talent, and you qualify in age, BRING IT!!! I will be watching AND CHEERING FOR YOU regardless of what team you are on and how tall you are... because I love watching TALENT! That's all I'm going to say about this sad disgusting thread.

What about the gyms that maybe dont have as many kids as lets say CEA or Top Gun or Cali? My gym has around 60 girls in it. My senior 3 team has tiny flyers but I didnt have the resources to have bigger flyers. Was my team suppose to be horrible so I can teach some big girls who were always bases to fly? This means I wouldnt be able to have 360's or tick tocks or anything. Not to mention how much better my peanuts have gotten because they knew they had to step up not only their stunting but their tumbling to hang with the big girls. I have one girl who is in 6th grade (12 years old next month) who looks like a 5 year old. Its just how she is. People can stare but its not going to make a difference. I feel like sometimes people forget how different smaller gyms are then bigger gyms.

that is why every division is an open division EXCEPT worlds divisions. the idea being that if you are really competitive and want to go to worlds and win it will be the elite top athletes.

i got a heads up warning that you would come unglued about this....

like i said, no where did we say they weren't good enough to be on the team. or bashed their talent. i also stated that they all didn't look bad. but it is all personal preference for what we like to see, and if i think itty bitty girls in the air, that are barely staying in the air, looks bad, then i'm going to think that. it's an opinion. we all have them, and sure, you can get angry about it, but it's not going to change the fact that i think it looks bad.
PEACE AND HAPPY CHEERING.

You're certainly entitled to think what you want. Just like you, I am stating my opinion. We'll agree to disagree. Like I said, I like watching talented people work out their talents. I don't see it as looking bad at all.

Right I agree. And we do have a senior 5 with normal size flyers lol I am just saying sometimes you just do what you gotta do.

Back