All-Star Anyone Else Notice Alot Of 12 Year Old Flyers On The Floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just because someone looks small and young doesn't not necessarily mean they are young.
Our oldest flyer is our smallest flyer and our 2nd youngest on our sr team is a beast backspot. so you never really know, unless you actually know the ages of the specific kids you're talking about

If we were limited to only 14 to 18 for Sr, our Sr team would only have 9 kids. The other 11 are all 12-14. We're not a worlds team but I'm sure there are worlds teams out there that would be in the same situation

What really drives me crazy is those "she-man" backspots on youth teams that clearly look like they belong on a senior team! You know, those oversized girls who single-handedly hold up stunts all by themselves? We really need to set a rule that makes sure tall beast girls that are young aren't allowed to be on youth teams anymore because it looks funny.

(hoping you all sense my sarcasm here....)

What about the gyms that maybe dont have as many kids as lets say CEA or Top Gun or Cali? My gym has around 60 girls in it. My senior 3 team has tiny flyers but I didnt have the resources to have bigger flyers. Was my team suppose to be horrible so I can teach some big girls who were always bases to fly? This means I wouldnt be able to have 360's or tick tocks or anything. Not to mention how much better my peanuts have gotten because they knew they had to step up not only their stunting but their tumbling to hang with the big girls. I have one girl who is in 6th grade (12 years old next month) who looks like a 5 year old. Its just how she is. People can stare but its not going to make a difference. I feel like sometimes people forget how different smaller gyms are then bigger gyms.

I'm gonna shimmy this just for using the word "peanuts" instead of "fetuses"!

I think it really takes away from the true athleticism of the athletes when they're lifting girls that probably weigh as much as their arm. If there is a tiny flyer in the air, I sure as heck hope that the smallest bases are under her. It looks borderline ridiculous when you have big bases under the "peanuts", especially if one or more of the bases is a boy.

I have yet to see a "peanut" in the air that has the air awareness and body control of a more physically matured flyer. If the stunt looked the same when done with a tiny flyer, that might be more "okay" to me visually. But I would say about 99% of the time, it does not.

For the record...the actual age of the athlete means nothing to me as long as they're competing legally.

So then why limit worlds to 12 year olds and up? We have some wonderful 9 year olds on our Youth 5 that I am sure we could do some absolutely crazy stuff with?
I do wonder the same thing. I'm thinking it may have to do with mental and physical maturity of the athletes. Of course everyone is different, and therefore it is difficult to put a number to the limit of age. Maybe they are doing the best they can for the good of the athletes health and safety. I would like to believe that. :)

What really drives me crazy is those "she-man" backspots on youth teams that clearly look like they belong on a senior team! You know, those oversized girls who single-handedly hold up stunts all by themselves? We really need to set a rule that makes sure tall beast girls that are young aren't allowed to be on youth teams anymore because it looks funny.

(hoping you all sense my sarcasm here....)
Beasts and fetuses. Get em both outta here.

Normal sized cheerleaders only please. Deductions for any seniors under 5 feet and over 5'9.

Just an FYI, the more restrictive you make the divisions, the more you put big gyms at a competitive advantage. You could make a "15-16 year old blondes with birthdays in September" division and Stingrays, Cheer Athletics, etc could still probably come up with a team. The team wouldnt be as strong as it was before the division changed, but their advantage over small/medium gyms would get bigger.

If you narrow the age ranges, it makes all gyms have tougher time fielding teams, but it disproportionally hurts the smaller programs.

Just an FYI, the more restrictive you make the divisions, the more you put big gyms at a competitive advantage. You could make a "15-16 year old blondes with birthdays in September" division and Stingrays, Cheer Athletics, etc could still probably come up with a team. The team wouldnt be as strong as it was before the division changed, but their advantage over small/medium gyms would get bigger.

If you narrow the age ranges, it makes all gyms have tougher time fielding teams, but it disproportionally hurts the smaller programs.

6 one way, half a dozen the other. If this is the new reality, then we will just have to adjust.

I think it really takes away from the true athleticism of the athletes when they're lifting girls that probably weigh as much as their arm. If there is a tiny flyer in the air, I sure as heck hope that the smallest bases are under her. It looks borderline ridiculous when you have big bases under the "peanuts", especially if one or more of the bases is a boy.

I have yet to see a "peanut" in the air that has the air awareness and body control of a more physically matured flyer. If the stunt looked the same when done with a tiny flyer, that might be more "okay" to me visually. But I would say about 99% of the time, it does not.

For the record...the actual age of the athlete means nothing to me as long as they're competing legally.

Hannah, you;ve always been better with words than me :)

and bluecat, i understand we want this sport to grow, and i'm all for it. but i feel like if the age is changed, it will actually end up making the teams in level 5 worlds divisions more competitive. Just my opinion though.

I really hope one day the rules are you must be on the team your age falls into. Like no 10yr olds on junior teams no 12 yr olds on seniors teams ect.. if your a junior age compete junior age , and only 16 and up on senior teams. (wishfull thinking I guess)

Back