OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Someone else already answered, but red shirting (you're on the team, but injured for instance and can't play....or they bench you a year so that someone else graduates or leaves the program in the mean time and you have a prominent role when they leave). One of the players on USC (South Carolina) basketball team technically had a 6th year of eligibility since she was injured 2 years (she opted to graduate and move on because of her knees...she was working on a graduate degree)

Whitney Love and her 5th year is different because Cheer isn't a NCAA sport, I believe. You can be a grad student and cheer 5 or 6 years if you can handle it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can only compete for cheer up to 5 years. I don't believe there is a limit for sideline though.
Some people will extend their undergrad degree by taking classes that they don't necessarily need so they can continue to play their sport for all years of eligibility. And yes, the 5th year can be done in grad school. (or 6th+ depending on number of years red-shirted)

You can only compete for cheer up to 5 years. I don't believe there is a limit for sideline though.
Some people will extend their undergrad degree by taking classes that they don't necessarily need so they can continue to play their sport for all years of eligibility. And yes, the 5th year can be done in grad school. (or 6th+ depending on number of years red-shirted)

I thought it was 4 years? Didn't Varsity make that rule mostly because people were cheering college and competing for years? I know that rule came out shortly after Memphis won with some guys that had cheered with Kentucky and Morehead. Disclaimer that wasn't the reason for the rule, just made it clearly obvious.

I thought it was 4 years? Didn't Varsity make that rule mostly because people were cheering college and competing for years? I know that rule came out shortly after Memphis won with some guys that had cheered with Kentucky and Morehead. Disclaimer that wasn't the reason for the rule, just made it clearly obvious.
I'm fairly certain it is 5 years. But yea, that's when it came out.

Thanks all, makes sense

But another question then; if they are red shirted for 1/2 years do their studies stop too? If not, have they surely not completed their studies and wont be enrolled at the respective university canymore?

or will they just pick up a couple extra classes like mentioned before?

Thanks all, makes sense

But another question then; if they are red shirted for 1/2 years do their studies stop too? If not, have they surely not completed their studies and wont be enrolled at the respective university canymore?

or will they just pick up a couple extra classes like mentioned before?
They are still in school when they are red shirted. They are still technically a part of the team, so they must be enrolled at the university. They just don't play/compete.
It's not always even an injury that leads to a red shirt year. Sometimes a freshman will get red shirted if the coaches think they will be a bigger asset to the team in future years, allowing them an extra year to develop, and be able to play their 5th year.
But this is all different from cheer, as cheer is not an NCAA sport and does not follow the same rules.

They are still in school when they are red shirted. They are still technically a part of the team, so they must be enrolled at the university. They just don't play/compete.
It's not always even an injury that leads to a red shirt year. Sometimes a freshman will get red shirted if the coaches think they will be a bigger asset to the team in future years, allowing them an extra year to develop, and be able to play their 5th year.
But this is all different from cheer, as cheer is not an NCAA sport and does not follow the same rules.

That's what I'm meaning; how are they still enrolled for that later 5th year if their degree course only takes 4? Do they all have to take an extra class to keep their enrolment at the university during that 5th year?

(I might just be confusing myself here)

That's what I'm meaning; how are they still enrolled for that later 5th year if their degree course only takes 4? Do they all have to take an extra class to keep their enrolment at the university during that 5th year?

Yes, either that or start grad school.

It's also really common for athletes to take a lighter course load during the competitive season. They have to make that up somewhere and that's often during a 5th year.

A lot of talk on the gymternet these past two days about USAG deciding against purchasing the Karolyi's ranch:
USA Gymnastics won't buy famed Karolyi ranch after all

"Unexpected financial expenditures" they say... we all know the real reason why, and I believe this is a step in the right direction.

The question now is, where will the WAG have their camps? Olympic Training Centre came to mind since the men already train there... but the men also live there. The women only gather for a week or so and that's not enough time to acclimatise to the altitude.

This also affects trampoline and rhythmic gymnastics since both of these disciplines have been using the ranch too. If they're thinking of building a whole new facility, then they'll have no choice but to extend their contract with the Karolyi's ranch until it's completed.

Also, at many US colleges four year degrees are taking students ( not just athletes) five years. I would think it's almost as common now for a bachelors to take five years as it is to take the traditional four.

Also, at many US colleges four year degrees are taking students ( not just athletes) five years. I would think it's almost as common now for a bachelors to take five years as it is to take the traditional four.

I had no idea that was that common. I feel like I knew a good amount more people that graduated in 3 or 3.5 years than 5, except those getting bachelors/masters in 5. It has been a few years though.

I had no idea that was that common. I feel like I knew a good amount more people that graduated in 3 or 3.5 years than 5, except those getting bachelors/masters in 5. It has been a few years though.

It could even just be my area of the country? I see a lot of the business and communications type majors still finish in four years but many of the education, nursing/ health care and engineering kids seem to take 4.5-5.

The only people I knew that took over 4 years to graduate (that were in a Pharmacy program) weren't livin' right in college. (Failing. Dropping. Partying). And then I know some people at tiny colleges that could only take a certain class a certain semester and that messed them up

What I've seen with a lot of athletes is that if they have a 5th year of eligibility they work on a second bachelors or their masters. Some of them transfer with their 1 year of eligibility (if they have it) after they've actually graduated to work on their master's and will be able to play immediately (no RS transfer year). Carolina always gets a couple of bball players this way

For NCAA sports, you can apply for a sixth year (in any sport) if you've already used your redshirt and had a season ending injury in a separate season. You would have had to compete in less than a certain percent of meets (or games) in the injury season. Usually less than like 10% or so, basically so little that you were considered a non-factor on the team that year, but still lost a season of eligibility for it. They are sometimes called medical hardships.

They are considered on a case by case bases only after applying to the NCAA, and definitely not always granted.

As far as school goes, the rules differ. She may be taking grad school classes or may not have to be enrolled full time.

Back