OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
It seems USA women always end on floor. They did in the Olympus and so far for qualifications, team finals and AA. Is there a reason for this or just a coincidence??
I believe, and someone feel free to correct me on this, that the order of events is Vault, Bars, Beam, Floor. So, the highest scoring team (individual) will do the events in that order. The second tier of teams (individuals) will start on bars and so on.

I believe, and someone feel free to correct me on this, that the order of events is Vault, Bars, Beam, Floor. So, the highest scoring team (individual) will do the events in that order. The second tier of teams (individuals) will start on bars and so on.

So how does that get decided on for the qualifying round? Because since the teams have competed yet so they don't have scores. Just based on start values?

So how does that get decided on for the qualifying round? Because since the teams have competed yet so they don't have scores. Just based on start values?
For the Olympics, they're already seeded. So right now, teams 1-8 are the teams that made it into finals at Worlds. Teams 9-16 will be decided at the Olympic Test Event.

^^
And obviously after qualifications it's scores. @NJ Coach is right: it's Vault Bars Beam Floor. Men's events (as I've noticed by watching this Worlds) is a bit different.

The ONLY time I've ever noticed someone change a routine is (ex Aly Raisman at Olympics) if something is inconsistent they'll take it out OR if they need the points they might add something in. For qualifying in London, she had the front layout connection to her first pass, team final she didn't (it was shaky and they didn't need it on floor) and she nailed it back in for event finals/AA.

I do think Gabby could match Simone at full form. I will say I missed Mustafina's general sassy snark-face and her serious eye makeup game.

^^
And obviously after qualifications it's scores. @NJ Coach is right: it's Vault Bars Beam Floor. Men's events (as I've noticed by watching this Worlds) is a bit different.
Men's events are Floor, pommel, rings, vault, parallel bars, horizontal bar...

and with that, my useless info is done for the day ;)

happy for Larissa but sad for Shang, I thought she looked great today. :(
Shang's weakness is vault, she looked so good on bars and solid on beam. However, the big step she took on floor along with a weak vault costed her. The Chinese just look too light to get a strong spring off the spring board on vault...

Congratulations to Biles on being the first ever woman in the history of artistic gymnastics to win three consecutive individual all-around titles!! She's now tied with Khorkina for number of individual all-around titles.

Other than attending UCLA, has Biles announced any other post-Olympic plans? Also, in the U.S., once you've turned "professional" does that mean you can never go back "amateur" status for NCAA?

Shang's weakness is vault, she looked so good on bars and solid on beam. However, the big step she took on floor along with a weak vault costed her. The Chinese just look too light to get a strong spring off the spring board on vault...

Congratulations to Biles on being the first ever woman in the history of artistic gymnastics to win three consecutive individual all-around titles!! She's now tied with Khorkina for number of individual all-around titles.

Other than attending UCLA, has Biles announced any other post-Olympic plans? Also, in the U.S., once you've turned "professional" does that mean you can never go back "amateur" status for NCAA?
Correct, when you turn professional you can no longer compete for NCAA.

So does that mean Biles is planning on retirement after Rio?

No, she could still compete and keep slaying everyone's face. She'll only be 21--she's got plenty of years left, if that's what she wants.

She could always go to a college and not do gymnastics there--heaven knows she's made enough money.

I want to say it's a random order for qualifying. For example, the US women started on floor for qualifying. But you still continue in the same order, so they went floor, vault, bars, beam. Then they qualified into the top spot, so they earned the vault, bars, beam, floor rotation order.

No, she could still compete and keep slaying everyone's face. She'll only be 21--she's got plenty of years left, if that's what she wants.

She could always go to a college and not do gymnastics there--heaven knows she's made enough money.
Or be an "student adviser/coach" type situation. That's what Jordyn Weiber does at UCLA. She turned pro so she was unable to compete, but she still works out with and helps coach the UCLA girls. Michael Phelps did the same thing for swimming at Michigan.

I think I've heard Tim Daggatt say while announcing in the past that Simone has told him that she will retire after Rio and give the younger girls their shot to shine. I guess we'll see.

Or be an "student adviser/coach" type situation. That's what Jordyn Weiber does at UCLA. She turned pro so she was unable to compete, but she still works out with and helps coach the UCLA girls. Michael Phelps did the same thing for swimming at Michigan.
I think I've heard Tim Daggatt say while announcing in the past that Simone has told him that she will retire after Rio and give the younger girls their shot to shine. I guess we'll see.
@FlexyTumblerMom answered my question. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant I knew she didn't have to retire from professional gymnastics, but I was wondering whether she has made the decision to do so. Mostly since UCLA is in, well... California. Attending school there would mean no more training with her coach and gym who's based in Texas, right? Or is the gym and coach she train with located in California too? I lose track of who trains where...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back