OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Gabby just doesn't look like she enjoying gymnastics at all right now. Her floor was blah, and she didn't even remotely try and stay on the beam on her L turn. Is going to the Olympics even what she wants at this point or is she feeling pressured and pushed into doing it?
Martha has said her mind hasn't changed so I think Martha still is planning on taking her if she hits tomorrow. When I think long and hard about it the team should be Biles, Hernandez, Raisman, Kocian and Locklear if they want the highest score possible Locklear can bring much more than Skinner mathematically even if she isn't an AA. I think they should consider skipping having 4 vaults in prelims and just have 3 they'll all count but unless Kocian does her DTY there is no sense putting her up. They will get a much higher bars score and have the potential to win 2 UB medals with 2 athletes who could both win gold. If they did this I think it would look along the lines of:

VT: Hernandez, Raisman, Biles
UB: (Biles) Hernandez, Locklear, Kocian
BB: (Kocian) Raisman, Hernandez, Biles
FX: (Kocian) Hernandez, Raisman, Biles

The only thing with this would be Raisman couldn't do AA in prelims unless they do what they did to Nichols last year at worlds to Hernandez where they put Raisman in for AA for prelims then Hernandez in for AA for TF's. But Martha really wants to take Gabby so I think she's going right now.

i would say that ragan or gabby could possibly make it over mykayla based off certain scores on certain apparatuses, but i cant see marta passing on madison due to her having the highest bars score. And i want to say aly, simone and lauren basically have already claimed three of the spots. So it basically leaves one spot open in my mind.

After watching cheer for so many years, I feel the floor routines are missing some sound effects. ;)

When I watched Ragan's choreo on floor, I felt like I watching an episode of toddlers and tiaras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfect way to describe it

And when the announcers kept saying how "adorable " routine was before she performed it

Then in the beginning when she leans over and kind of pops her bottom up to sound effects.

....Adorable to who? The people on To Catch Predator?

All I saw was an age inappropriate routine. Like it is an (almost) 16 year old doing "innocent" moves that aren't really

I felt the same way about it how I feel about Ariana Granda tbh

And her overall maturity is just off. Listening to her speak and then listening to Laurie Hernandez...world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am #TeamLaurie and absolutely think she should be a member of the Olympic team... but unpopular opinion time: I think she was grossly overscored last night. Looking at all of the girls who competed DTY, she has the highest score but I'd say hers was the least well-executed of the bunch. I also think her floor score seemed inflated.
I think either way she's top 3 AA for the US ( at least as long as Gabby is looking like Eeyore out there), but I do not think she will score that high internationally. They're potentially setting us up for another Jordyn Weiber-esque upset when she doesn't qualify for AA at the games because her scores will be back down to where they're supposed to be.

Also speaking of Laurie, I know she was out for two months prior to Classics so she's really just coming back from injury (and coming back beautifully, if I do say so myself), but I really wish she would have upgraded a pass or two in her floor routine.

Ragan's floor routine is what you normally see on very very young and small level 7's - like 8-9 year olds who just can't handle mature choreography yet so they give them cutesy/non-artistic moves. It really annoys me to watch that knowing she's 15 (almost 16).

Of course, the average TV viewer who doesn't know much about gymnastics, or children/teens in activities in general, probably won't see it that way and be amazed at how good she is for being so much younger than the other girls (when she really isn't!).

I am #TeamLaurie and absolutely think she should be a member of the Olympic team... but unpopular opinion time: I think she was grossly overscored last night. Looking at all of the girls who competed DTY, she has the highest score but I'd say hers was the least well-executed of the bunch. I also think her floor score seemed inflated.
I think either way she's top 3 AA for the US ( at least as long as Gabby is looking like Eeyore out there), but I do not think she will score that high internationally. They're potentially setting us up for another Jordyn Weiber-esque upset when she doesn't qualify for AA at the games because her scores will be back down to where they're supposed to be.

Also speaking of Laurie, I know she was out for two months prior to Classics so she's really just coming back from injury (and coming back beautifully, if I do say so myself), but I really wish she would have upgraded a pass or two in her floor routine.

I agree about Laurie's scores. I was like whhhhaat. Trials scoring tends to be like this. Seems to favor the hype around the girls. Those are well regarded as being "clean" gymnasts get better scores.

But Gabby just looks distracted. I'm not sure who's she's in it for. I wished she would have taken aly's approach about meeting her own expectations. She always refers to "proving the haters wrong" or "proving that she's doing it for the right reason" she's doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. She should be doing gymnastics for herself and I think she's lost that . I hope she cab get it together. Marta still has her on her team as of now

i love gabby and everyone knows she is good, but i think if she doesnt have a MUCH better day 2, and marta still chooses her i can see that peeving some athletes and other coaches. I get they are choosing girls who they think will be the right fit for the olympics, but i see that as sending the wrong message to every other girl fighting for a spot.
i dont think gabby should get a free pass to bomb all over the place and still get a spot on the team.
did marta ever say anything after day one about gabby.

I just went back and really looked Gabby's scores. Without the mistake on beam and performing better on the floor....yeah she's going to be on the team.

She just didn't have a stand out high score on any one event like Other gymnasts

i love gabby and everyone knows she is good, but i think if she doesnt have a MUCH better day 2, and marta still chooses her i can see that peeving some athletes and other coaches. I get they are choosing girls who they think will be the right fit for the olympics, but i see that as sending the wrong message to every other girl fighting for a spot.
i dont think gabby should get a free pass to bomb all over the place and still get a spot on the team.
did marta ever say anything after day one about gabby.

Yes Martha basically said she's still taking her after that performance. I think if she makes it she needs to go to the ranch and live there till they leave for Rio. Also this would ensure she's really training since she hasn't been the past 2 weeks.

Madison at Worlds in 2015:
635819041952826586-GTY-495152038-77178290.JPG

Madison at P&Gs two weeks ago:
2hehwu1.jpg

She does not look significantly thinner.

ETA: Heck, while we're at it, here she is in 2014.
100814-US-gymnats-JW-PI.vadapt.980.high.11.jpg

For the most part I hate a wolf turn on the beam. I think they're hideous (Simone's included....especially Simone's actually). The arms flying all over just makes my skin crawl
It's the most "weebles wobble but they won't fall down" thing in the world for me

Anyway. This post is hilarious
When Wolf Turns Go Bad | The Balance Beam Situation

YES! Why are they all doing them? I don't understand how in the world they could score well. Instead of saying "oh wow, look how many times they're spinning" I find myself thinking "oh is she gonna make it, ew thats ugly, oh no that was a close one."

Back