OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Simone's mom is Belizean, though, right? Except since, family tree speaking, it's her grandmother she'd be 2nd-3rd generation depending on where grandmother was born. I personally feel as though if you or at the very least your parents were not naturalized citizens of a country, you should not be able to compete for them in the Olympics.

If only women's gymnastics didn't have the youngest athletes. If they were older, they could look for husbands with citizenship elsewhere and we could send our whole "B team" to other countries.

Legally she is Simone's mother.

Simone's mom is Belizean, though, right? Except since, family tree speaking, it's her grandmother she'd be 2nd-3rd generation depending on where grandmother was born. I personally feel as though if you or at the very least your parents were not naturalized citizens of a country, you should not be able to compete for them in the Olympics.

If only women's gymnastics didn't have the youngest athletes. If they were older, they could look for husbands with citizenship elsewhere and we could send our whole "B team" to other countries.

Yes her mom is from Belize. But hypothetically, if Simone were average and Belize had an equally average or slightly more than average gymnast that had trained in Belize all those years, I'd be team that gymnast. I suppose it's because from a fan perspective the Olympics for me are about national pride. Coming together and beating other countries, and nobody has to die to declare a winner. But I suppose for an athlete it's qualify for the games by any means necessary.

I suppose if I'd been a decently average gymnast and not good enough to make the US national and there had been a way to trace my heritage to whatever sub Saharan African country my ancestors were ripped from get citizenship and qualify for the Olympics representing that country, I'd do it.

Annia Hatch competed for Cuba, married an American and got US citizenship and competed for the US after some drama that made her have to wait to compete internationally, so gymnasts have done that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legally she is Simone's mother.

Yes, I know that. But it doesn't magically change her from a 1st generation American to 2nd generation. As far as actual, legal citizenship is concerned, in Belize any child under 18 with a Belizean parent can obtain citizenship, so yes her grandmother legally becoming her mother did change that on paper. But I'm talking about my personal beliefs; I think the games should be about patriotism and being a representative of the country that you love and consider home... not just which country will accept you because you've devoted your life to the sport and "deserve" to make it to the Olympics, when meanwhile you could not care less about the name and flag on your chest or the national anthem that plays when you win.

Thema Williams was supposed to represent Trinidad and Tobago.

Shadiness happened. They pulled her for Marisa D. I. C. K. (is this word censored here?) (split on the beam mount girl) using citizenship based on her mom being Trini. Drama started back in the spring during the test event

Canadian-born gymnast Marisa richard mired in Olympic controversy | Toronto Star

:confused: two articles in and im already confused AF. Im surprised the olympics federation or whatever doesnt have rules when it comes to these kinds of things though. Just because you have a distant long lost aunt born in brazil, doesnt mean you should be allowed to jump ship from where ever and claim citizenship to have a better chance at competing.
i get its the olympics and im sure some of these athletes are willing to jump through whatever hoops they can legally do to get that goal, but i do think they should have rules in place for things like these.

the Belarus thing is sketchy AF, but at least Marisa is actually part Trini unlike Kylie Dickson.

@FlexyTumblerMom Geddart is Thelma's coach. He pulled her from the test event and the Trinidad and Tobago gymnastics federation was like WOAH NO SEND IN MARISA. So they did, Marisa qualified, everyone is angry.

Alaina Kwan as well....competed at Worlds for Belarus. No ties to Belarus. She and Kylie are both from the same gym in Cali and Kylie is going to the Olympics representing Belarus. It's all so ridiculous.

Puerto Rico sends athletes to the Olympics right representing Puerto Rico? And it's a US Territory. Too bad here wasn't a way to send some left over US National team members to represent PR. Ragan-Ashton-Maggie-Amelia and Mykayla. Someone needs to find a way to weasel in this happening in the future. It'd make as much sense as the Belarus stuff

Alaina Kwan as well....competed at Worlds for Belarus. No ties to Belarus. She and Kylie are both from the same gym in Cali and Kylie is going to the Olympics representing Belarus. It's all so ridiculous.

Puerto Rico sends athletes to the Olympics right representing Puerto Rico? And it's a US Territory. Too bad here wasn't a way to send some left over US National team members to represent PR. Ragan-Ashton-Maggie-Amelia and Mykayla. Someone needs to find a way to weasel in this happening in the future. It'd make as much sense as the Belarus stuff

This is why I've been rooting for Texas to secede ;)

Simone-Madison-Ragan-pick two other Texans

Gabby-Ashton-Aly-Laurie-Maggie

This is why I've been rooting for Texas to secede ;)

Simone-Madison-Ragan-pick two other Texans

Gabby-Ashton-Aly-Laurie-Maggie

Uninjured Bailie Key and an uninjured Alyssa Baumann would complete the Texas team.

Unfortunately that would mean a silver for Simone in team because Texas would be JV collectively.

Which is why my JV team should just compete for PR. Or the US Virgin Islands.

Sorry, double post.

Those extra 4 spots now go to an additional 4 AAers from 4 different countries, more diversity I suppose. Romania did qualify two MAG for the Olympics - Dragulescu and Muntean, of course, Dragulescu's berth was based on his podium finish on vault at Worlds last year. It's a real pity Iordache didn't receive an automatic berth for her podium finish in AA, an oversight by F.I.G.

I'm glad they've amended it for the next quad, now that they've realised there are medal-contending AAers who come from countries that can't qualify a team to the Olympics.

Your right there the rules have changed so much a get confused sometimes. I really think taking those 4 spots and giving them to other AAers is silly. Their trying to get as many countries in the door that it's taking away spots from other countries. I wish I could run for FIG president and change some rules.

a heavily spotted TTY from hong un jong

ETA: not sure if she would be able to get this around safely without the boost from her coach. Even if she did, I still think Simone has the advantage because of her execution

She submitted it as if she plans to compete it, but she did the same at Worlds this past year and never threw it. We'll see soon!

Ugh. Anybody else struggling with a 3pm competition time for gymnastics next week.

Aug 8 is my first day of work (I'm now a school librarian) So if this had been any other week I would have gotten to sit around and watch the live stream [emoji30]. I'm hoping the schools like "work 7-2:45!" But I doubt

Ugh. Anybody else struggling with a 3pm competition time for gymnastics next week.

Aug 8 is my first day of work (I'm now a school librarian) So if this had been any other week I would have gotten to sit around and watch the live stream [emoji30]. I'm hoping the schools like "work 7-2:45!" But I doubt

3 PM is when my kids are getting home, going through binders and crud, and getting ready to leave for cheer so I have a feeling the majority of my watching will be from my phone.

The Olympics is pretty much the only reason I'm happy that I haven't found a job yet haha. Even if I found one soon, I don't think I'd be starting that quickly.

Back