OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Kohei Uchimura looked a little off today... although to be fair his off day is still a pretty good day at the office

Kind of sucks since Laurie did place second in AA with more than a point to spare over Aly at trials... but she's also never competed at Worlds or internationally as a senior elite gymnast. What if she crumbled under pressure? Sure, we haven't seen any signs of that happening yet (and I don't think she will), but I don't blame the coaches for choosing athletes who they trust to get the job done. Also, while I don't want Simone's BB wolf turn disaster to happen again, I do hope Laurie somehow grabs gold (or at leas silver) on BB. She deserves some individual podium time.

also, random unrelated side note - I know the gymnasts don't go to opening ceremonies, but I feel like they should let the alternates go to at least experience such a cool part of the games. I saw tweets from past olympians who were like "oh that looks so cool, I wish I got to do that" and one of them even wore the opening ceremony outfit to that reception they held prior to Trials (I think it was Anna Li but now I'm drawing a blank?) Unless someone fell down the stairs or ingested some of that contaminated Rio water and got deathly ill in the next 6 hours, it's not like the alternates are doing anything else.

Kind of sucks since Laurie did place second in AA with more than a point to spare over Aly at trials... but she's also never competed at Worlds or internationally as a senior elite gymnast. What if she crumbled under pressure? Sure, we haven't seen any signs of that happening yet (and I don't think she will), but I don't blame the coaches for choosing athletes who they trust to get the job done. Also, while I don't want Simone's BB wolf turn disaster to happen again, I do hope Laurie somehow grabs gold (or at leas silver) on BB. She deserves some individual podium time.

also, random unrelated side note - I know the gymnasts don't go to opening ceremonies, but I feel like they should let the alternates go to at least experience such a cool part of the games. I saw tweets from past olympians who were like "oh that looks so cool, I wish I got to do that" and one of them even wore the opening ceremony outfit to that reception they held prior to Trials (I think it was Anna Li but now I'm drawing a blank?) Unless someone fell down the stairs or ingested some of that contaminated Rio water and got deathly ill in the next 6 hours, it's not like the alternates are doing anything else.

Are the alternates headed home today or tomorrow? I saw on Ashton's SC "last day here" "last practice in this gym". But then she mentioned the Hyatt. When is the last time they could sub one of them in for an injury

Eta: I guess this is their last day of training and where they are staying. They're going to stay to watch the competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I was under the impression that alternates weren't allowed to walk in the ceremony, I agree it would be a totally cool thing for them to do. I mean they get the 20 leo's and the goodies, but beyond that, it kinda sucks to be an alternate. So close, yet so far

Are the alternates headed home today or tomorrow? I saw on Ashton's SC "last day here" "last practice in this gym". But then she mentioned the Hyatt. When is the last time they could sub one of them in for an injury

Eta: I guess this is their last day of training and where they are staying. They're going to stay to watch the competition

Once the team steps on the floor for Qualifications, an athlete can no longer be subbed... so if the team practices today and no one gets hurt, the alternates' time in Rio is over.

Warning for anyone not watching live - one of the French gymnasts broke his leg really badly on vault. Don't watch it if you're squeamish.

Guess we're going to fall apart on pommel

USA looking super strong despite mistakes on PH. Devastated and still shaken by the horrific vaulting injury and praying for Samir Ait. Devastated that Max had such a bad run on both vault and high bar and praying he gets its together for all-around as he has so much potential. Although I do believe Ait's vault shook our GB lads. Really impressed by the overall performance from Nile Wilson. Considering its his first Olympics he's truly been our most consistent member of the team, currently standing 2nd in all-around and 2nd for the high bar final. Max qualifying in 1st for PH (so far) and hopefully will qualify for floor and Louis in 2nd for PH. Overall not bad from Team GB but definitely room for improvement.

Last edited:
I feel so bad for Samir Ait Said. How did he not scream when he broke his leg? :jawdrop:

Me too! I didn't see it live but I just saw a recap on TV. They warned that it would be difficult to watch. I still didn't expect such a terrible fall. Last I heard, he fractured his left tibia and fibula (not a big surprise, from the way his leg was bent). I'm still shocked from these images.

Me too! I didn't see it live but I just saw a recap on TV. They warned that it would be difficult to watch. I still didn't expect such a terrible fall. Last I heard, he fractured his left tibia and fibula (not a big surprise, from the way his leg was bent). I'm still shocked from these images.

I made the mistake of looking up the photo on Twitter and it made my stomach drop. These men (and women) work so hard for many years to make it to this level and to see his Olympics come to a screeching halt is heartbreaking.

Successfully managed to not see the broken leg until an entertainment blog site I follow posted it on Instagram. So terrible. Poor him

Back