All-Star As The Season Closes Out - Are You Switching Gyms Or Staying?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Right now I cheer at Twist-N-Turns , in southern Indiana . I feel like i've grown close to everyone there . But i still don't know if its the RIGHT place for me , and the coaches I need . At TNT the push you too your limit . To where your crying , and running around the building . It's really hard . SO i might switch to GymTyme .
1. Tuition Cost ; By the end of the year my mom has spent $4,000. In monthly fee's , competition fee's , uniform , and hotel costs . And GymTyme would be a couple hundred less than that .
2. Lack of Progression ; At TNT it was the first place i have ever tumbled . And i've gotten to level 4 . In a year. I guess thats good
3. Staff Unprofessionalism ; It's okayyyy
4. CP wants to cheer on Worlds Team ; NEVER
5. Professionally Trained Coaches ; I guess . Where at GT I KNOW
6. Location ; TNT is closer to my house about 5-10 minutes away , while GymTyme is about 20 minutes away .....

Hopefully she'll let me .

I just wanted to say NEVER say NEVER, it may come back to bite you in the butt. You have to do what is best for YOUR family, and as hard as it is in the end that's all that matters.

My thoughts exactly. When my daughter decided to leave it was one of the worst things she has ever been through. The entire staff turned their back on her and said bad things about her to anyone who would listen. I had seen they way the gym treated kids who had left before so I know what was coming.
Needless to say it only helped solidify her decision.

im switching gyms, i didnt really like the last gym i was at, loved the owners but was not to happy at that gym, & disliked a lot of the athletes and how they treated others , my lil sister is switching gyms as well but we arent going to the same program!

What gym do you cheer for? Only asking because I see you live in Drexel HIll (I live in Media) and I don't recognize the uniform in your picture. just curious :)

We switched last year for almost all of the reasons on the list. It was the only program we ever knew and is a mega successful program and people thought we were nuts for leaving. From the second we walked into State's gym and met Jenn and Phil, we immediately knew that was the place for us. The Joe Paterno quote on the wall didn't hurt my belief in destiny either! Unless my daughter quit cheering completely, this is our forever gym. THAT is how great the place is.

My thoughts exactly. When my daughter decided to leave it was one of the worst things she has ever been through. The entire staff turned their back on her and said bad things about her to anyone who would listen. I had seen they way the gym treated kids who had left before so I know what was coming.
Needless to say it only helped solidify her decision.

This is why I have told my cp to not mention our thinking of leaving to ANYONE at the gym. While I think some will be shocked, I know at least one coach will react childishly (a big reason why we are leaving in the first place). The gym gossips will have a field day, and my kid will become invisible to the coaching staff. And if they knew we were looking at SOT it would be even worse.

This is why I have told my cp to not mention our thinking of leaving to ANYONE at the gym. While I think some will be shocked, I know at least one coach will react childishly (a big reason why we are leaving in the first place). The gym gossips will have a field day, and my kid will become invisible to the coaching staff. And if they knew we were looking at SOT it would be even worse.

I've heard this previously from individuals that left our gym. No matter how much sweat, tears, hard work and dedication your cp has put into the organization, it appears that some will react childishly over a decision you deemed better for your child. I know there will probably be some sort of backlash, gossiping simply because that has been happening all season anyway, we were just the last to find out how immature some really are. The one thing I always say is speaking negatively about someone's child should always be off limits and NEVER acceptable under any circumstances by an owner or coaches.

We're fully expecting the same thing. It's been a bit challenging trying to participate in "next year" discussions with current team knowing our decision to leave was made months ago. I hate to deceive, but it's the only shot at CP getting through the rest of the season unscathed.

My cp started cheering in 1st grade. We moved out of state her 4th grade year and there wasn't a gym anywhere near. We then moved back (but to a different city) for 5th grade. Still no gym but she was taking tumling lessons. The closet cheer gym was 50 miles away and I said "there is no way I'm driving 50 miles for cheerleading"!! The lady that gave the tumbling lessons started a squad and my cp joined. She not only did team, but did individuals for the first time that year. That is when I realized how much it really meant to her and how much she truly loved the sport. Being a small town, there is not enough interest so I knew this lady would never get a team above lev 2. So guess what.....yep, I'm driving almost 50 miles!!

Anyway, after having been to 3 different gyms with different coaches and coaching styles I really don't think I will change again. With every change you had to take 1 or 2 steps back to learn the new gyms style/expectations. My cp and I are honored to be where we are (we've watched them since she started cheering) and unless something terrible happens, we won't move again.

Just my personal opinion.

My cp and I are honored to be where we are (we've watched them since she started cheering) and unless something terrible happens, we won't move again.

Side note: Appearently people don't realize it but our gym does have a lev 5 team, they just didn't get their bid this year. They also have a hop hop team that went to worlds last year, but I'm not sure if they got their bid this year. I'm sure our gym will be at worlds again, sometime! Hopefully with my cp!! lol

Back