All-Star As The Season Closes Out - Are You Switching Gyms Or Staying?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am not 100% sure, but I wouldn't want to take that chance if I were a current parent/cheerleader..

Agreed! We are definitely looking very carefully. We are visiting 3 gyms besides the one we're at before tryouts. I have a list of questions a mile long. People act like I'm crazy, but at least I won't be stuck trying to get a release in a few months!

Agreed! We are definitely looking very carefully. We are visiting 3 gyms besides the one we're at before tryouts. I have a list of questions a mile long. People act like I'm crazy, but at least I won't be stuck trying to get a release in a few months!
If I were a parent or it were MY cheer career, I WOULD be that crazy. Maybe if people were just as 'crazy', waiver 'issues' wouldn't even occur because they'd be avoided from the get-go.

If I were a parent or it were MY cheer career, I WOULD be that crazy. Maybe if people were just as 'crazy', waiver 'issues' wouldn't even occur because they'd be avoided from the get-go.

It's funny because when I call or email, I always have all these questions. They never seem annoyed at all, but they sure do make it feel like I'm the only one who asks a lot. I think most people just show up, tryout, and go with it. Then December rolls around and they're like "Hey. Wait a minute. THIS isn't what I thought..."

I have never done it for waiver reasons before (since my girls are only Level 2/3, I've never needed to worry about that). But just from a financial perspective it makes sense. I spend more per year on AllStar Cheerleading than any other bill I have besides rent. I can't imagine signing up to spend that much money without knowing exactly how much money, and all the details of what we're getting into. It's funny that people will spend months researching a car, cable vs. satellite, cell phone companies, what computer to buy...but when it comes time to sign up for cheer? They just walk in and sign up.

And I'm a stickler for responsibility. I think you're either in or you're out. (Again, see waiver thread :D)

also some people are just rule followers and some people are not. Happens all the time for other reasons. It's just some peoples nature (mine, just-a-mom, new cheer dad) also come to mind. I find most parents that take the time to post here are more involved in their childrens cheer and probably are cut from the same cloth.

so call me a stickler, but I'm in ;)

I'm not exactly sure if I'm staying or leaving. I have made a list of reasons to stay and reasons to go, but I just can't decide. I've been going to open gyms at some different gyms and I think I've found a new one, but it's pretty expensive, and my mom doesn't know if she can afford it. I would miss all the friends I've made at my gym now, but things have just gone down hill this year. I don't think it would be a happy season next year if I stayed. And I went to open gym at this one gym where they had me throwing fulls the first day he saw my layout, so then I asked my self "why have I been doing privates where I cheer now for almost a year and still not doing fulls?!"

Gosh there is a ton of things to consider that I haven't thought about until reading the entire thread. Do you all feel obligated to stay I guess a loyalty thing?

I'm leaving CEA! Enough is enough! Maddie has been point for way too long, I keep waiting for my "big show" and get shot down everytime. You think being their number one fan, they'd atleast let me run across the mat during a performance, or maybe give me a fist pump while watching in the VIP section.........but NO!!!!!! Thats it. Craptastic Allstars for me!

Maddie's amazing and all, but it's about time somebody came up and said this!!!

I'm leaving CEA! Enough is enough! Maddie has been point for way too long, I keep waiting for my "big show" and get shot down everytime. You think being their number one fan, they'd atleast let me run across the mat during a performance, or maybe give me a fist pump while watching in the VIP section.........but NO!!!!!! Thats it. Craptastic Allstars for me!

Craptastic Allstars Small Senior 5 just got a bid to Worlds.

Gosh there is a ton of things to consider that I haven't thought about until reading the entire thread. Do you all feel obligated to stay I guess a loyalty thing?
I think the people who stay and say it's a place where they're 'home' or 'family' would say they DON'T feel obligated to stay due to loyalty. I think once those feelings are around it might be time to reconsider..many of the people in the previous situation have a team they're happy with, feel their growth as a cheerleader is normal, and the gym is a safe, fun environment. Sometimes, of course, growth occurs faster than a gym can hold and if that's the case and they could do better elsewhere, a family should be excited to see one of their own grow and prosper..I've seen pictures of girls from my old gym who appear to have gone elsewhere and the ties are as strong as ever!

My thoughts exactly. When my daughter decided to leave it was one of the worst things she has ever been through. The entire staff turned their back on her and said bad things about her to anyone who would listen. I had seen they way the gym treated kids who had left before so I know what was coming.
Needless to say it only helped solidify her decision.

It kills me when coaches do this....I coach at a smaller gym, with 2 bigger, well known gyms within a half hour drive. Kids leave every year, sometimes even mid season, and as coaches, we NEVER let an ill word leave our mouths about those athletes for anyone to hear. It would just make us look so bad, I am not sure why any coach thinks it's a smart move to badmouth kids that choose to leave your program....it's not anythingi would ever put my kids in, and all coaches need to realize that!

If you are switching gyms, and you look around at several gyms to find the right fit for your cp and your family: is it appropriate to ask about position on the team? For instance, if you cp has always flown, can you ask if there is a chance they will fly? Not guarantee but give you a chance? Would a gym tell you if they already had established flyers and it was unlikely that your new addition would get time in the air?

We always have new kids joining the team, and we give odur flying spots to the best flyers, new or not. This has been a problem with some of the parents who do not feel that a 'new' girl should get to fly when her daughter is a retiring team member, but when all is said and done, a good coach will do what is best for the team, notout someone in the air for being a veteran team member. Hopefully you will have the same findings at your new gym. Good luck!

Back