College Back Tuck Baskets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 10, 2010
HELP!! I've never done college/level 6 baskets let alone level 5 baskets and my coach wants me to do a back tuck basket for NCA Nationals in April. Any tips?

Not a flyer, so I can't really help with the technical aspect of it, but I've backed them a lot, with girls doing them for the first time. You have to trust the people underneath you, because they will catch you no matter what! And once you get the first few out of the way you'll be able to do them no problem. Good luck! I'm sure you'll get it in no time!
@Ashley @ShoWStoppeR @BuegeSmalls << Pretty sure these people have thrown tuck baskets so they can probably help you a lot more than I can!

Trust is key. I used to do them fine and the one of the boys under me said he wasn't going to catch me so I no longer do tucks.

Once the first one is out of the way it's not scary anymore. Really make sure you ride your basket high.

My coach tried to get me back into doing them by saying "it's just like a tick on the ground"....no...not quite the same tbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trust is key. I used to do them fine and the one of the boys under me said he wasn't going to catch me so I no longer do tucks.

Once the first one is out of the way it's not scary anymore. Really make sure you ride your basket high.

My coach tried to get me back into doing them by saying "it's just like a tick on the ground"....no...not quite the same tbing

That's so messed up. Even as a joke, no base should ever say that to a flyer.
@TinyBlondie15 (once again, speaking as someone only ever underneath them) it's really important to just go for it and not bail. Out of all the flyers I've been underneath, only one bailed and she had the tendency to kinda not give it 100% (because of being scared - not laziness!) All the others that have gone for it made it their first times! (Only 2 had standing tucks on the ground) And it's such an exciting thing for everyone when flyers do their first tuck basket! I'm even excited for you. Let us know when you get it!

@Ems thanks! I've been known to bail because of being scared but if I just go for it and make it around the first time I probably won't freak too much anymore

@GForce Thanks! I've never done a tuck on the ground so I wouldn't know.. My coach was saying stuff like, shins to forehead

Have you done a spotted tuck on the ground or maybe on a tramp? I hope i´m just missunderstanding your post, because there is more to a good and safe back tuck basket than shins to forehead. What is your highest basket skill you have done before?

A back tuck basket is not the hardest skill on earth. But if you want to progress to more difficult baskets after that (like x-out or layout baskets), your back tuck basket technique should be really good, and i find it easier to teach it right from the beginning than to fix bad habbits (like throwing your head back or not riding up) later.

@GForce Thanks! I've never done a tuck on the ground so I wouldn't know.. My coach was saying stuff like, shins to forehead

I've never done a ruck on the ground. Tuck baskets are easy - I think they're easier than toe touches. Just pull your knees to your chest, don't reach down for your knees. You'll flip very easily! The first one is scary!

One of the first ones I've ever done I bailed on and came down almost upside down, so make sure you commit to it!

The first one is the scariest one, but as long as you really go for it and commit to it you'll be fine. Tuck baskets are easier (for me personally) than kick fulls/doubles and body position baskets. And the "shins to the forehead" phrase is similar to the "shins to the back wall" phrase I've heard used for rewinds.

You'll do great! Let us how know it goes :)

I agree that tuck baskets are pretty easy, and you definitely don't need a tuck on the ground to do it. But I think you should at least experience the motion of a tuck before trying it in a basket. Do you have access to a trampoline? Can you have someone spot you (heavily, if necessary) on the ground first?

Have you done a spotted tuck on the ground or maybe on a tramp? I hope i´m just missunderstanding your post, because there is more to a good and safe back tuck basket than shins to forehead. What is your highest basket skill you have done before?

A back tuck basket is not the hardest skill on earth. But if you want to progress to more difficult baskets after that (like x-out or layout baskets), your back tuck basket technique should be really good, and i find it easier to teach it right from the beginning than to fix bad habbits (like throwing your head back or not riding up) later.
My highest basket skill is a toe touch..
I agree that tuck baskets are pretty easy, and you definitely don't need a tuck on the ground to do it. But I think you should at least experience the motion of a tuck before trying it in a basket. Do you have access to a trampoline? Can you have someone spot you (heavily, if necessary) on the ground first?
I don't have access to a trampoline.. We're only at the gymnastics gym maybe once a month and I don't have a car.. Not sure when I have to do them by but probably tomorrow..

My highest basket skill is a toe touch..

I don't have access to a trampoline.. We're only at the gymnastics gym maybe once a month and I don't have a car.. Not sure when I have to do them by but probably tomorrow..
Does your coach have any sort of progression plan for you? It sounds to me like she is rushing you through skills.

Maybe working ball-ups would help?

Does your coach have any sort of progression plan for you? It sounds to me like she is rushing you through skills.

Maybe working ball-ups would help?
Nope... She just wants me to go right to back tuck baskets.. She's rushed me with a lot of things and I've gotten them (such as a half-up to lib on regular and opposite legs and 2-2-1 pyramids)

Nope... She just wants me to go right to back tuck baskets.. She's rushed me with a lot of things and I've gotten them (such as a half-up to lib on regular and opposite legs and 2-2-1 pyramids)
That's scary... I'm worried for you, don't let her push you too hard!

Didn't think this would be a problem at the college level, shouldn't it be obvious how potentially dangerous inverted baskets and 2.5 high pyramids are.

Back