All-Star Background Checks And References

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

FYI, only gyms applying for USASF Certification are required to do background checks but any gym can become a member.

Add to the topic...
Should the USASF deny membership to any gym employing a person (gym owner or staff) that has certain convictions in their past and if so what type of conviction is too bad? Obviously sex offenders are a big no-no but should drug dealers, child endangerment, armed robbery etc... be included in the no-no list?

Should gyms without background checks even be allowed to attend a USASF sanctioned event?

OMG, have been having this conversation with others lately and even just posted it on the Cheer Parents forum. Had no idea you just posted it. Have coached pop-warner, baseball and hockey and all 3 required background checks, so why not all-star.

This was the other thought that I had as well but didn't post it in my original response. When I coached my daughter's rec team, I had a background check run, had to take an online youth sports coaches' certification test, and had to attend a stunting safety/technique class (taught at what is now my daughter's allstar gym). Why is all this required for other youth sports and for rec cheerleading, which oftentimes have a much more limited budget, but not all allstar gyms require it?

ShallowPoms said:
I wish that was something done over here because I know a gym where the owners husband is a convicted sex offender and is constantly at the gym and i was just shocked

What?!! If he's a convicted sex offender he would be thrown in jail for going within a certain distance of any school, gym, etc.

Unbelievable. I couldn't nor wouldn't work or bring my kids to a gym with a known sex offender.

Hence the need for background checks for all owners and staff for a program to even be a member of the USASF.

Hence the need for background checks for all owners and staff for a program to even be a member of the USASF.
Exactly. It's scary enough knowing there are UNKNOWN predators all around us. I'm very thankful my gym
owner requires thorough background checks.

Was there a more recent (maybe last year) similar situation?

The Rick Despain episode is the only one of which I am aware that is public and the person is still involved with a gym.

I know there have been multiple arrests for some kind of sexual misconduct over the years.

ACEDAD said:
The Rick Despain episode is the only one of which I am aware that is public and the person is still involved with a gym.

I know there have been multiple arrests for some kind of sexual misconduct over the years.

HOW is he allowed to continue in this business??????

HOW is he allowed to continue in this business??????

I don't claim to understand the law. I've spoken with Virginia State police and others have spoken with lawyers and we're told that based on the charges and his plea agreement, he's not violating any laws.

Okay, he is the one I am thinking of. Thanks for the the reminder.

I know there are numerous injustices occurring on a regular basis in our legal system. It makes me really distrustful of the powers that be. I hate feeling helpless to do anything about it. I appreciate your efforts @ACEDAD

I don't think helpless is exactly accurate but we definitely have obstacles.

We need to strongly encourage gyms and EPs to get behind the athlete mandatory registration. We need to strongly encourage gyms to complete the USASF gym certification. We need to strongly encourage parents to get educated (the Parent Action Committee is actively involved in this). We need to strongly encourage the USASF to take a stand and implement the best child protection that any association can have and the law will allow.

We can't do everything, but we can do something.

I don't claim to understand the law. I've spoken with Virginia State police and others have spoken with lawyers and we're told that based on the charges and his plea agreement, he's not violating any laws.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But from a cursory reading of the Virginia law sexual battery is a misdemeanor that doesn't come with an automatic child protection order - even for crimes that involve a minor.

Back