All-Star Routine Video Sharing Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 2, 2014
Does your gym have one? When my gym back home got a new owner, she implemented a policy that no routine videos could be shared on any social media until the season was over. I thought this seemed a little ridiculous/paranoid, as this is something I've never seen before and the only real reason for the policy was so the teams' competition couldn't check them out beforehand. And I'm honestly kind of bitter that I'm in college a few hours away and am not able to see my "babies" that I've coached since their Y1 days compete. (I've tried several times to have videos emailed/texted to me, but cheer parents struggle, I guess lol)
I'd be interested to hear why one would do this from an owner's perspective, if we have any on here that do, because it seems to me like it would hurt your business in the long run. Also, as a parent, how would you feel about something like this?

Does your gym have one? When my gym back home got a new owner, she implemented a policy that no routine videos could be shared on any social media until the season was over. I thought this seemed a little ridiculous/paranoid, as this is something I've never seen before and the only real reason for the policy was so the teams' competition couldn't check them out beforehand. And I'm honestly kind of bitter that I'm in college a few hours away and am not able to see my "babies" that I've coached since their Y1 days compete. (I've tried several times to have videos emailed/texted to me, but cheer parents struggle, I guess lol)
I'd be interested to hear why one would do this from an owner's perspective, if we have any on here that do, because it seems to me like it would hurt your business in the long run. Also, as a parent, how would you feel about something like this?

It's definitely not unique to this program. A couple of people on Fierceboard have mentioned that their gyms don't allow video sharing either.

Possible reasons:

Some of it has to do with privacy on some level. Ex: Suzie's Mom took a video and posted it to Instagram, not considering the fact that Sally's mom does not want video of her child posted publicly at all. That video now has a gazillion views and Sally's mom is upset because her child's image is on social media without her permission.

Also, owners want to try to control what is put out there re: their teams. Ex: They'd rather not have their 1TB/2SF/1 PYR SF performance immediately posted to FB two minutes after the kids leave the floor.

See also: Other teams in your division can't really "scope out the competition." When you don't have routines all over Youtube, your competition can't see what they're up against unless they come to comps. In the days before youtube, that was seriously the only way you knew what Awesome Elite just added to their routine.

Last edited:
I don't have the answer to your question of "why," but our gym does have that policy. However, I created a private group in iCloud with iShare and upload the videos (and photos) there with only invited people. It has worked really well. Since it's not public and searchable, this might be a solution for you. The file size doesn't matter like it would if you were trying to email or text it. This may be what your cheer parents are struggling with. BTW, our coaches are included in the group, and I think they also find it helpful. Sometimes we get videos taken by a few different parents showing different angles.

Last edited:

Both CP's gym and DP's dance studio have a no video policy, but it's stricted for the upper level teams and for us it went away once the season started. I will say though, the routine CP did today is not the routine CP did 3 weeks ago and I doubt today's routine will be the routine they do next month. Cheer routines evolve and change so much throughout the season that it would be hard to really 'watch up' on teams now and expect it to be the same a few months from now. It's been super hard for me to keep DP's videos under wrap because well, she's on a SN team so no one is actually out to beat them and she is featured quite a bit in ways that make her LIGHT UP---which is quite abnormal for her---so not being able to show people has killed me on the inside.

Yep. Pretty much every gym in our area has this policy and it is a sound one. Same reason sports teams don't share their game film. Why give the opposition a heads up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both CP's gym and DP's dance studio have a no video policy, but it's stricted for the upper level teams and for us it went away once the season started. I will say though, the routine CP did today is not the routine CP did 3 weeks ago and I doubt today's routine will be the routine they do next month. Cheer routines evolve and change so much throughout the season that it would be hard to really 'watch up' on teams now and expect it to be the same a few months from now. It's been super hard for me to keep DP's videos under wrap because well, she's on a SN team so no one is actually out to beat them and she is featured quite a bit in ways that make her LIGHT UP---which is quite abnormal for her---so not being able to show people has killed me on the inside.
Thing is, watching video now will give any coach worth their salt a good idea of the team's skill level and what to expect as far as progress. They can do that at a competition but having video to dissect makes it easier to pick out a team's weaknesses and gear your routine to be stronger in those areas.

Our gym has this policy....no videos posted until after national season kicks off.

Thing is, watching video now will give any coach worth their salt a good idea of the team's skill level and what to expect as far as progress. They can do that at a competition but having video to dissect makes it easier to pick out a team's weaknesses and gear your routine to be stronger in those areas.

Very true and I can totally see this being a thing for some levels and ages, I just don't think my CP falls into that category at this point so I wouldn't say I shrug my shoulders at it---I haven't posted a thing from summer or anything they were working on...etc, etc, but at this point the season has started and if teams want to track down what we have or haven't done, it's not going to be that difficult regardless. That being said, I only put videos on my private FB page and they're definitely not public.

With allstars the policy has always been no posting of anything routine wise until after it's competed. The routines typically get changed the first day back from competition, so at that point it's an outdated routine video. Posting isn't a big deal.

School team though is a strict no video posting until seasons over rule. It's a different world. No teams post, so putting yours out there is just helping your competitors see what your doing, and you don't get to see them. There is a secret underground video ring that takes place through some coaches, but for the most part getting video of other teams is impossible.

Cp's gym does. No videos posted publicly until after season ends. There used to be vids posted on the parents page until a few parents used them to analyze any mishaps and blame the athlete they felt was at fault (or pass that info along to their cp). Sad but true.

With allstars the policy has always been no posting of anything routine wise until after it's competed. The routines typically get changed the first day back from competition, so at that point it's an outdated routine video. Posting isn't a big deal.

School team though is a strict no video posting until seasons over rule. It's a different world. No teams post, so putting yours out there is just helping your competitors see what your doing, and you don't get to see them. There is a secret underground video ring that takes place through some coaches, but for the most part getting video of other teams is impossible.
I personally could care less if teams have a heads up of what I'm doing... If ya' beat me because you've seen what I've done, modified what you do and did it better (as long as you're not copying Me) It is what it is. I can see why tons of teams have the "No show" policy though. For the most part.. I prefer our kids not splash our entire comp routine all over the Internet...why post a photo of a half baked cake on a cooking site? Cheer seasons Are a never ending process of evolution... This is clear with most High Schools/All Stars.... if not for the simple fact that what we do in regionals/championships is relatively if not completely different from end result. While many teams look to gather what they can in the interim....I once had a coach I really looked up to tell me when we had a rival school show up to our competitions (that they were not competing in)... And video us... "they can watch, study and modify all they want, but the original product always has an edge, and remind yourself...theres a reason why they're watching and if they make changes because of you... You're already a step ahead, just remember to REALLY be a Leap" ;)

Yep. Same policy over here. I know there are parents who have video but they're on the honor system to not share outside of parents.

I have two feelings on the whole thing:
1. If you perform publicly (aka compete OR do a showcase) you need to expect your routine has been filmed and 'out there'.

2. Your routine has been filmed secretly and shared among the cheer nerds secretly. It really has. The few people you coach against that you really dont want to see your routine (your competition) probably already knows what you are doing and has seen your video.

So... just embrace it. Share the videos. Have fun!

Back