All-Star Routine Video Sharing Policy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

its like some of these coaches are afraid of a little competition. if i was an owner, id be uploading the vids myself to strike fear in the eyes of my opponents. haha

It was the flyer's mom who needed to convince everyone that Suzie was not the reason the stunt didn't hit. Can you guess whose cp was one of the bases?

This is why parents can't have nice things.

These types of parents are the reasons that practices get closed, video at practice becomes prohibited, etc.

Then they'll be the first to complain when not allowed to watch/video/etc. and they have to wait for showcase.

I have two feelings on the whole thing:
1. If you perform publicly (aka compete OR do a showcase) you need to expect your routine has been filmed and 'out there'.

2. Your routine has been filmed secretly and shared among the cheer nerds secretly. It really has. The few people you coach against that you really dont want to see your routine (your competition) probably already knows what you are doing and has seen your video.

So... just embrace it. Share the videos. Have fun!
100% true. And not just your routine. Music, uni...everything. I've seen videos, heard music etc long before some of these teams compete. It's just the nature of our sport.
As far as our policy, once we compete, it's fair game. We ask nothing be put out until our first competition, but after that...go to town.

We have that policy and I don't see it changing anytime soon. As a smaller lesser known gym one of the few competitive advantages that we have is not having our routines everywhere so they can be analyzed by the competition. I will tell you that this has helped us tremendously several times including at some major events. To hear people, athletes and coaches cussing and trying to figure out where were from and how the heck they didn't know about us (translation what skills we were actually competing) has given us countless laughs over the years. While we may post tumbling videos and occasional stunt videos (nothing in a current year routine) we are the definite different that does not do a lot of marketing except by word of mouth and competition results. We have ways for the parents to see their team's routines. After our end of year banquet they can post publicly.

While local competitors may film us locally or try to get former athletes to dish on what is going on in a current year, we are generally respectful of each other. They don't post anything publicly though if they do somehow get it. They also know we are quick to refer members to their gyms as well so they like to keep that path open.

Another aspect I have seen the using of videos for is recruiting athletes away from gyms. This was a major issue for my first cheer gym I worked for and why they didn't post videos. While I don't think it is as bad now as it was then, I understand this point because I personally experienced it.

I personally could care less if teams have a heads up of what I'm doing... If ya' beat me because you've seen what I've done, modified what you do and did it better (as long as you're not copying Me) It is what it is. I can see why tons of teams have the "No show" policy though. For the most part.. I prefer our kids not splash our entire comp routine all over the Internet...why post a photo of a half baked cake on a cooking site? Cheer seasons Are a never ending process of evolution... This is clear with most High Schools/All Stars.... if not for the simple fact that what we do in regionals/championships is relatively if not completely different from end result. While many teams look to gather what they can in the interim....I once had a coach I really looked up to tell me when we had a rival school show up to our competitions (that they were not competing in)... And video us... "they can watch, study and modify all they want, but the original product always has an edge, and remind yourself...theres a reason why they're watching and if they make changes because of you... You're already a step ahead, just remember to REALLY be a Leap" ;)
My first year coaching, I put videos up almost daily. It was so the girls and the parents could see the progress, but we started getting a lot of views. I came from the allstar world and didn't see the big deal about why schools were so secretive. I stopped posting as much when we did show up to another team doing exactly what we posted online a month or so earlier. It was a local, county only performance. We went first and obviously did it better since we had made it up and practiced it longer. It was very much a Sparky Polastri moment. At the end of the day it didn't matter too much, and we weren't the ones that looked bad. It was an eye opener though for me though about who is watching the videos. I've also gotten a lot of comments and messages on those videos that are just plain creepy. Now days I will upload unlisted until the season is over and I make all comments approval only.

Thanks everyone for the enlightening responses :) I definitely didn't know this was that common, or that there were actually good reasons for it. I guess I prefer to live in my bubble where everyone is good and nobody is malicious, lol. I'm still not sure if it is a policy I'd care to implement were I an owner, but I like the gyms that have some sort of middle ground where they can post it in a private group only.
Oh, and the more I think about it, I have known one guy who drove 3 hours to a team's comp the week before they competed with his team so he could scope them out. I thought that was just an isolated incident bc he's shady and insane... And if that team/coach found out about it, I certainly hope they were flattered!
But yeah, thanks again!

Cheer film isn't quite the same as game film for football or basketball. We aren't heads up playing offense and defense so any competitive intel is related solely to the team members performing, for everyone else it is just a skills display. Having my team watch another team's routine will at the most get them fired up to perform well, but it will not give me any leverage with the skills I already have put on my mat.

We know that other people are going to videotape but we don't allow our athletes or parents to post videos publicly of our teams and it's really hard to find video's of other WA gym's on youtube until the end of the season. I'm pretty sure that almost every big gym in Washington has this same policy.

its like some of these coaches are afraid of a little competition. if i was an owner, id be uploading the vids myself to strike fear in the eyes of my opponents. haha

You could totally have a lot of fun with this......If I were a coach or gym owner, I think would put up videos labeled as my teams' current year routines but really be of cats playing with lasers or something just to mess with people.

This is why I don't have nice things and would never be an owner........that and I am poor and out of shape.

Back