All-Star Base Or Flyer...?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It sounds like she (like many kids her age) is hitting puberty.

As of right now, learning to base is a must.

You want her to be versatile.

You have coached. You know what happens to kids who are unable to fly anymore but don't really know how to base.

This.

@MzLyn you said yourself she is "JLo thick" - if she's only 11, my guess is that her coaches can see that she isn't going to be able to fly forever. Sooner or later she's going to have to be a base. Might as well learn now, while she's still eligible for juniors.

As others have said, please don't encourage this in your daughter. Whoever said it's toxic is dead on. And if she's hearing it from you at home, believe me, she's embodying it at practice.

To be perfectly blunt, it's not up to you what she does. I'm confused as to what you're asking. Are you asking if you should demand that she fly because you're not comfortable with her basing because of her upper body strength? If that's the question, then a thousand times NO.

If you're just asking what to do, then you have 2 options: either pull her from cheer or figure out ways to build her upper body strength (one of which is basing... She'll get stronger very quickly if she puts in the work at practice - but if you're genuinely concerned, there are plenty of ways to build upper body strength)

Oh. Your third option is drop her off at practice, go to Starbucks, and let the coaches do their job.

I think I'm more worried about her dropping someone to be honest lol...
You've received good advice already. Given what you posted in your first post, I don't think her dropping someone is your main concern. You want her to fly.
Sometimes I think the transition from flyer to base is harder on the parent than the athlete. If her tumbling is level 2, then basing level 2 stunts is the best place to learn and it sounds like your CP will be placed on an appropriate division and level team if she is chosen to base. If she can cross to fly on a senior team for another year or two during the transition, then that is a perfect combination. Whatever her coaches choose for her, I hope she has a great season!

Trust me, I understand everything that you are feeling;I have been there myself. The only thing that you are really in control of right now, is that you can give your cp tools to help strengthen her uppper body. That is what she need to focus on right now. The other stuff is beyond your control.

It is hard to go from coaching your kid to letting someone else do it, but you have to. Step back and let the coaches coach...for your cp's sanity and your own.

I can not wait until CP is old enough for this to be my new 'normal' at practices....LOL
I'll tell you like I tell the moms at the studio where I work:

If your child is old enough to be at practice, he/she is old enough for you to leave.

I think most parents would be surprised at how much better their kids do when they're not there. (for the older ones it's just, "Oh thank God her judgmental @$$ is gone!" and for the little ones it's, "Oh... Mommy isn't out there. So I guess there's no point in my looking and running out there every 32 seconds!")

Disclaimer - I don't know how old your cp is. But unless she's 2 or younger, I stand by this.

Is it totally wrong that I don't want my CP to be a base?? She's always been a flyer...

Maybe I'm jumping the gun but my fear is she will place on a Junior Team instead of a Senior Team or she will place on both because she was given the option to crossover but would it be bad if she was basing on one and flying on the other or if in worse case scenario she only made it only on a Junior Team and only bases...

I just don't feel comfortable with her as a base....

As the mom of a CP who flew her first year and has been a backspot since, I do understand how scary it can be to watch them learn something new. (And your CP was in the air WAY longer than mine was, so I do understand how you may be feeling right now!)

With that said, the above quoted text is the root of all of your internal conflict... when you remove all of the excuses and attempted justifications, the bottom line is that you don't want your CP to do anything but be a flyer. If you trusted the coaches when they had her up in the air, then would it not be reasonable to also trust them when they put her under a stunt? Everyone has to learn new skills at some point - your CP had to learn how to fly on day one, right? So, why would learning to base be any different? Step back and let the coaches do the job you trusted them to do before they pulled your CP out of the air. :kiss:

I'll tell you like I tell the moms at the studio where I work:

If your child is old enough to be at practice, he/she is old enough for you to leave.

I think most parents would be surprised at how much better their kids do when they're not there. (for the older ones it's just, "Oh thank God her judgmental @$$ is gone!" and for the little ones it's, "Oh... Mommy isn't out there. So I guess there's no point in my looking and running out there every 32 seconds!")

Disclaimer - I don't know how old your cp is. But unless she's 2 or younger, I stand by this.

For me it's a time thing. Her practices here are more days a week but less time; with the time of day and rush hour traffic, if I left I could very well not get back in time.

For me it's a time thing. Her practices here are more days a week but less time; with the time of day and rush hour traffic, if I left I could very well not get back in time.
I get it, but you know you don't have to go home. I live well over an hour away. I just don't want to sit there - I'd literally rather sit in the car and read a book.

This year I plan on finding a gym, or at least a place to run/walk or something. The gym seems to be in the middle of nowhere, so it looks like Starbucks is out. I'm legit thinking of taking an online class or something, just to do something with the time besides sit there and watch/stress/listen to other moms stress.

I get it, but you know you don't have to go home. I live well over an hour away. I just don't want to sit there - I'd literally rather sit in the car and read a book.

This year I plan on finding a gym, or at least a place to run/walk or something. The gym seems to be in the middle of nowhere, so it looks like Starbucks is out. I'm legit thinking of taking an online class or something, just to do something with the time besides sit there and watch/stress/listen to other moms stress.
This x1000! Anything is better (for both parent and child) than staying in the gym during practices.

Oh I know. A lot of the time I'm reading a textbook or in my car with her little sister. The area the gym is in isn't completely removed from civilization but it's also not close to anything either. A Starbucks run, for example, would be an hour minimum round trip.

Oh I know. A lot of the time I'm reading a textbook or in my car with her little sister. The area the gym is in isn't completely removed from civilization but it's also not close to anything either. A Starbucks run, for example, would be an hour minimum round trip.

Isn't that, like, illegal to have a Starbuck's that far away? :D

Back