Basket Help!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 18, 2012
I am point flyer on my cheer team but I'm having trouble with baskets!! It a just regular baskets where they throw your up then catch you lol nothing special. I have done good baskets before but only like 2 times haha, I have been jumping out of them almost every single time. I have been trying my best but I just keep jumping out!! My coach threatened to take me out of the basket part if I can't do it!! I have practice every Wednesday so I need advice ASAP!! What can I do at home to practice not jumping out and how can I keep myself from jumping when we do baskets?!?! Any advice will be appreciated!! :)

I don't really think there's a way you can practice this at home...but it's probably not all you. Whenever I see flyers go forward for any type of stunt, I watch to see if the backspot is pushing her forward at all, especially with baskets. Maybe see if your backspot can throw from under the basket, not from your bottom..this always makes baskets go higher too!

Thanks for the advice!! I'm gonna tell my coach that!! All the backspots are required to hold your bottom in a basket. All the backspots do it but that's kinda what I thought it was. I'm gonna ask my coach if she can change it to where the backspots can hold under the basket. :)

I agree, throwing from the bottom will help give it a little more power and let you control it more. I think it'd be really easy to push forward if they were holding your bottom. Maybe you could show your coach a video of some other teams doing it? Here's a video of Kentucky along with some of the best baskets! You can see them at about 1:40.

that's a good idea. as a former backspot, i've done baskets both ways and i definitely prefer going underneath the basket. i'm able to provide the bases with more support, and it also creates much better timing/flow between everyone.

Back