All-Star Best Excuses To Miss Practice...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I am sure everyone has heard the:
1) I have a lot of homework or I need to finish a project that is due tomorrow excuse.
2) I sent you an e-mail that wasn't going to be at practice. Too bad you sent the email an hour after practice started, but when we call your cell phone was turned off....how convenient..lol

^^^^THIS^^^^ SOML.

If it's something you go to the ER for all the time. I go almost once a month for migraine treatments, because I need them through an IV (I'm pretty bad@$$, but even i can't give myself an IV). I don't know in advance or anything, but I've been enough times that I know when they're done I'll go home, sleep, and be good as new the next day. I believe asthma treatments are the same way.

Like I said, maybe the girl was just a liar. But I guess I just don't like this thread because there a lot of assumptions and I hate that. Obviously lots of them are lies...a lot of them I think maybe they just didn't feel like telling their cheer gym their life story.
I've seen what happens when parents try to lie for their kids. Or when they don't realize they're lying for their kids and the truth comes out..OOoh it ain't pretty. I get not wanting to share every detail about life...but having grown up in sports, I've heard SO many excuses and watched them fall apart, I'm naturally suspicious.

We also had a Monday practice on a day off from school. Coach checked with everyone to make sure they all had rides (as some parents had jobs and might not be able to make it)..and if not, they had both the Head Coach, My mom's #, heck even MY #, so no excuses. Sure enough, 3 girls (all of whom are friends) didn't show up..their mother tried to tell our coach it was HER fault that she didn't wake them up in time, because she thought practice was later. No dice..my coach said 'There are 3 of you. All 3 of you knew the time you had to be here. All 3 of you have cell phones..all of those phones have alarms. You are capable enough to know WHEN you are supposed to be here, and WHAT TIME you have to get up to do so. It is not the mother's responsibility to wake you up. It is yours.' Needless to say, the punishment for missing a practice before a game is conditioning AND you don't get to play. The game just so happened to be a game we needed to win, and girls we needed to play well. Nope, they had to sit on the bench and watch the team get HAMMERED (One game was 25-1, only because the other team's server missed the court), all the while watching their team knowing they weren't contributing. Think it drove the message home a bit..

Although I wonder- For those coaches who have access to facebook/social media: If you catch a lie on a person's facebook, how do you address it? Say they told you they have MOUNDS of tests, but then they check in at the mall? How do you handle that?

I've seen what happens when parents try to lie for their kids. Or when they don't realize they're lying for their kids and the truth comes out..OOoh it ain't pretty. I get not wanting to share every detail about life...but having grown up in sports, I've heard SO many excuses and watched them fall apart, I'm naturally suspicious.

We also had a Monday practice on a day off from school. Coach checked with everyone to make sure they all had rides (as some parents had jobs and might not be able to make it)..and if not, they had both the Head Coach, My mom's #, heck even MY #, so no excuses. Sure enough, 3 girls (all of whom are friends) didn't show up..their mother tried to tell our coach it was HER fault that she didn't wake them up in time, because she thought practice was later. No dice..my coach said 'There are 3 of you. All 3 of you knew the time you had to be here. All 3 of you have cell phones..all of those phones have alarms. You are capable enough to know WHEN you are supposed to be here, and WHAT TIME you have to get up to do so. It is not the mother's responsibility to wake you up. It is yours.' Needless to say, the punishment for missing a practice before a game is conditioning AND you don't get to play. The game just so happened to be a game we needed to win, and girls we needed to play well. Nope, they had to sit on the bench and watch the team get HAMMERED (One game was 25-1, only because the other team's server missed the court), all the while watching their team knowing they weren't contributing. Think it drove the message home a bit..

Although I wonder- For those coaches who have access to facebook/social media: If you catch a lie on a person's facebook, how do you address it? Say they told you they have MOUNDS of tests, but then they check in at the mall? How do you handle that?

This has happened multiple times... and each time I have walked up to the girl and said, "I'm glad your back (insert injury/excuse here) was better in time for you to go snowboarding last night, those were great pictures...." Then I inform them how much conditioning they need to do in order to make up for the conditioning they would have received at that practice, and a little extra to bring them up to speed. I never EVER friend a kid on facebook, I tell them that if they want to friend ME they are more than welcome, but they should know that by doing this they WILLINGLY open their world up to me.... I'm actually thankful when kids mess up like that, i'd rather they be slightly 'stupid' by throwing themselves under the bus than have them be sneaky and get away with their lies.

I actually did this once... I couldn't sleep at all the night before and had to help clean the house all day. I took a nap and accidentally woke up an hour after practice started. I still ended up throwing my clothes on and rushing to the gym, but I felt SO STUPID telling my coaches that I overslept for an evening practice.
Ive done that too hahaha.

My team's practice fell on Halloween this year and my coach didn't want to cancel because it was the week before our gym's showcase. Anyways, she told us that if anyone missed practice even if their mom emailed and said they were sick, they would get kicked off the team. She even shortened practice a half an hour. One girl's mom emailed the coach saying her daughter was in urgent care and he daughter proceeded to post picture of her out with her friends on Halloween.
Oh. my. gosh.

My gym does an hour and a half of tumbling, and this one girl is ALWAYS late, missing all of tumbling. She gets out of school earlier than anyone else, and we have practice 5-6 hours after she gets out of school, but she always has sooo much homework.....

I really hate, Hate, HATE when parents LIE for their children! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Me too. I mean really, what example is that setting for the child???? That you don't have to be dedicated just cuz you don't want to? That everyone in life will bend over backwards if you don't feel like doing something????? That it's okay to LIE!?! I mean, I could go on and on.

There was this one practice the day after (or it might have been a few days after, i can't remember) a competition, a girl called and said she was "sick" but that she was "sorry" that she couldn't come to practice...
It was on facebook that she was hanging out with friends, and then later that week she said on facebook, "ugh. still have this fever</3" so we aren't quite sure if she was sick or not, but regardless, ifshe was, she shouldn't have been with friends, especially if she did in fact have a fever, and if she is well enough to be with friends, she should have come to practice, and also, if she wasn't sick, and all of it was an act, she shouldn't have lied, and should have just came to practice... it bugs me.

Oh another one we got:

"She transfered to the wrong tram and ended up in the wrong part of town."

Um, from her school to practice you just have to take 1 tram...dunno why she was transferring??

Back