Bhs On Trampoline To Floor

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While I agree that the trampoline is detrimental in this case, (and most cases) I have seen it help athletes too. Myself included! I took my handspring and tuck from trampoline to tumble track to spring. I was also willing to try everything and apply changes my coach told me as well, (sit more, swing more, more arch), so I'm likely a special case.

From a coaches perspective, the number ONE thing to help her get her back handspring faster is to STOP practicing it at home on the trampoline!!! It feels like it is helping, but it is not! In reality it is ingraining poor habits and technique that are detrimental and take more time to break!

Instead she should practice core/leg/shoulder/arm strength and perhaps shoulder flexibility! Ask her coach to give her a strengthening/stretch routine to do at home. It will help so much more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately she started taking gymnastics when she was 5 but never really got much there - she's been in cheer for the last 4 years and only just last year got her back walkover.
She's been practicing handsprings at the gym for over 2 years and is afraid she just doesn't have the body for it and will never get it. I know that sometimes no matter how hard you try you can't do something with your body and it sucks when it's your daughter.

How often does your daughter tumble at the gym? Does she take privates or classes? I agree with previous posters. While it is great your daughter has developed the confidence to throw her back handspring, having her continue to practice at home will only engrain the bad habits already visible in the video you posted. These are things that a trained tumbling coach can correct, but progress may come at a slow pace, especially if she continues to try to practice at home. The "hop" that others have mentioned can be a very hard habit to break. There is a girl on CP's gym who developed a tumbling block while her tumbling coach was trying to correct her "hop." She hasn't thrown her back handspring (with or without the "hop") all season.

My advice: Have your CP ask her coach for conditioning exercises that will help her develop the strength and muscle memory necessary for her back handspring. These exercises are things that your CP can do at home to her hearts content that will greatly help with her tumbling without actually having her throw her back handspring.

My CP is also not allowed to throw tumbling at home that she is working on at the gym. But her coach gives her exercises to do at home or after her lesson that helps improve her tumbling at the gym.

It's been almost a year...still not able to do the BHS on the floor at the gym.
However she's still working on it.
She is able to do it on the cheesemat (wedge) without any problems. Her coaches keep telling her she's got it but she's still too scared to do it herself on the floor. How much help is the cheesemat giving her?
She was able to do it on the floor with a coach just holding the back of her shirt but still won't attempt it by herself.
Any advice from others on getting over that fear?
thx

I agree with everyone re: privates & classes. It's been a while, but I remember cp getting this skill. Other than her full, I believe this one took the longest. Nothing replaces a great, motivating coach doing privates, but I remember one thing one of her friends taught her that REALLY sped up the process. She was 7, and it was during the summer when her friend told her to do this...standing in the pool facing the side with hands on the ledge, water about shoulder high, pull up hard and do a high back flip/somersault into the water.

Now, I have no idea if this is "proper" but when they were doing it that day at the pool I didn't see any reason to stop them bc it was the kind of stuff kids do in the pool. They kept flipping back over and over. A few days later when cp went to her tumble class, it was the first time she did her BHS on the rod floor without a spot. Could have been coincidence, but it seemed to help her get over that unnatural going backward thing. I think the key to the water trick was REALLY propelling yourself up high out of the water so it wasn't just like a regular back flip in the water. Again, I defer to the pros, but cp has really pretty, high tumbling.

It's been almost a year...still not able to do the BHS on the floor at the gym.
However she's still working on it.
She is able to do it on the cheesemat (wedge) without any problems. Her coaches keep telling her she's got it but she's still too scared to do it herself on the floor. How much help is the cheesemat giving her?
She was able to do it on the floor with a coach just holding the back of her shirt but still won't attempt it by herself.
Any advice from others on getting over that fear?
thx

Oh man, I feel so bad for you and her!! Once you get 'The Fear' it is the absolute hardest thing to shake. And as the parent it is heartbreaking. My guess is you've moved beyond technique issues right on over into a mental block - which can happen at any level, time or skill. My CP has been struggling with her BHS (a skill she used to have) after hyper-extending her elbow. It all started with a broken elbow (not cheer related) and it has been years of issues ever since. She now knows how much it can hurt...I keep thinking once she moves on to no-hands down skills she will be thrilled. For her, actually sitting down and talking about her fears with an understanding coach made a HUGE difference...much more than "just throw it" or bribery...they talked about fear of injury, how crippling it can be & ways to focus your thoughts. She was also given some home exercises to specifically improve her BHS/arm strength. The last thing we did was buddy up for privates...having a teammate cheering her on has helped more than I ever imagined! They challenge each other in a very good way. We specifically paired up with someone that has the same body type & concerns as my daughter and both girls have started thriving.
Hopefully some of our experience helps you...my daughter has times where she throws it and times where she still insists she needs a "one finger spot", but we are making forward progress again...and I guess that's all any cheer parent really wants, forward progress.

I told her that I'd film her doing it with her coach spotting her so she can see exactly how much help he's giving her. Once she sees that he's not doing much, maybe she'll feel a little more confident in it :)

I agree with the trampoline giving a false sense of accomplishment. It is very different like many have said. It took my CP longer to get a BHS than a double full. I would sign her up for tumble classes and have her keep at it. She can work drills at home not on trampoline.
I'm really not coaching her - I have no idea how to do it myself and am just encouraging her to keep trying. I keep telling her to talk to her coach about it. I feel like she has gotten over the biggest issue which was just being able to go back into it on the trampoline and now hopefully she has an idea of what it feels like and it would help her on the floor and with the coach. I just kind of wanted to see if she was doing anything right at all.
Her coach already tells her over and over about her hand placement.
Right now she is really motivated and excited about what she can do and I really don't want to discourage her but I do want her to do it correctly.
It's just really frustrating for her that she sees the girls younger than her able to do these skills and she is struggling so much with it.

Finally was able to book some private time with her coach. This was her first session with him. It's not super pretty and she's got some form issues but she is getting closer.. It was exactly one year ago today that she was able to do it on the trampoline ;)

She's able to do it on the floor now w/o him spotting her but she's got some serious arm issues. Other than push ups, what other things are helpful for her to:
A - stop them from being too wide
B - not bend when she lands on them

Any ideas on how to make her keep her legs straighter too? Would love some stuff she can do at home..

She's able to do it on the floor now w/o him spotting her but she's got some serious arm issues. Other than push ups, what other things are helpful for her to:
A - stop them from being too wide
B - not bend when she lands on them

Any ideas on how to make her keep her legs straighter too? Would love some stuff she can do at home..
CP has spent the better part of 3 years perfecting that BHS. Here is what her coach told her about arm issues:

"If you can execute a blocking handstand and hold a handstand for 3 seconds, your arm issues are not actually in your arms at all. They are either in your shoulders, your hips, or both."

Shoulders- lack of shoulder flexibility means its difficult to impossible to keep your arms by your ears when executing the BHS, they are wider apart. You don't transfer weight into your shoulders effectively like that, so they bend.

Hips- (this was the big one holding CP's technique back, and causing bent arms) hHips are not lifting aggressively enough, so you are not in a good handstand position when hands make contact with the ground. You are bearing too much weight on your wrists and elbows, so you buckle. He told her to think of the beginning of a handspring as jumping into a handstand position, and the end as the snap down out of that handstand. If you never hit the handstand, you cannot snap down. If at any point in the handspring you break the "rainbow arch" and you rear sticks out, you are guilty of this.

the straight legs is often a strength in the hip flexors issue. According to CP's coach, it is less of an issue for actually getting the skill, and more something that needs to be cleaned up once they have it.

things she can do at home (these are what CP's coach recommended for these issues):
Shoulder stretches
Handstand snap downs (holding the handstand first)
blocking handstands
Core conditioning, focusing on the hip lift
Clean sit, swing, jump drills onto a raised surface, focusing on proper athletic stance, keeping arms by the ears, reaching up, arms quickly reaching the top.

Back