OT Book Club

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Love Harry Potter! I read a really good book on the plane to DC - "Brain on Fire". There's a lot of psychology talk sprinkled throughout it, and I might be biased bc I'm in AP Psych but I thought it was really interesting!
I'm over the dystopian society books too. They're all the same at this point. I went to see divergent and it's literally almost identical to "Matched".... So that was annoying. Seeing the movie made me even less likely to read it.

My all time favourite book is Speak.
I like the Divergent series, I still think it has one of the worst endings ever though.
The Stephanie Plum books are fantastic, definitely 18+
I have a "booket list" (a bucket list of books) and on it I have all of the old classics, Pride and Prejudice, A Tale of Two Cities, etc. and the Harry Potter books.

@Eyes On The Prize I love going to thrift stores for books too! They're all $.50 - $2.50 it's great! And you can get really cool special editions that aren't in regular stores.

speak has been my favourite book for the past nine years, it is amazing.

I just now started listening to Amanda Palmer's "The Art of Asking" (yes, that's the level of my obsession with Neil Gaiman. I hope he won't feel the need for a restraining order.)

In honor or Margaret Atwood's birthday (is it today, or yesterday?), I really liked "A Handmaid's Tale"

First off "The Kite Runner" and "World War Z" I thought were both awesome. The World War Z Book (IMO) is sooo much better and more interesting than the movie.

I am also halfway through "Allegiant", i had really liked "Divergent" and then got so bored with the series as it progressed. I thought it had good potential as a post-apocolyptic/dystopian society novel/series and it completely fell flat. I might not finish it (which I NEVER do, no matter how awful a book is I feel obligated to get though it)

I'm on a bit of a Stephen King kick! I'm just finishing "Carrie" and "Under The Dome" is next on my list.

That's what I've heard about World War Z. I saw World War Z in theaters when it came out and fell in love with it. I used to love Zombie things but it's so over the top now and annoying and I hate it. I'm waiting for it to die down. But I will watch World War Z over and over. I just love the story and I love the ending. I'm not even 50 pages into the book but I love the way it's written. I brought it to jury duty over the summer but we were let out in under an hour and a half so I didn't get too far.

I feel the same way about the Divergent series. I've just about given up on Alliegent. I can't do it. It started so strong and then fell into this pattern of something happens, but Tris is separated from four, then she finds him and describes how much he loves every bump on his body in great detail, and then something happens again. If I wanted to read a book about teenager's first romance I could've picked up any other book. So stupid.

I've only read one other Stephen King book called Cell. It was really good just long and so much description. I was also in 10th grade so I decided to give it another shot. I love thrillers and horror stuff and it was only $2. Usually the Stephen King books at the thrift store are well loved and missing covers. This one was not. Under the Dome is also on my list :p

@Eyes On The Prize I love going to thrift stores for books too! They're all $.50 - $2.50 it's great! And you can get really cool special editions that aren't in regular stores.

It's so great! The thrift store has the coolest things. I found the 2nd HP book as a complete unabridged cassette audio book last week along with a 2005 unused HP calendar. Someone must've gotten rid of all their Harry Potter stuff recently :p I almost bought the whole "Left Behind" series for $10 (12ish books) but decided against it. I figured I'd just go to the library to read those.

I posted this on the other thread, but my favorite books/series:

My forever favorite: Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (currently 8 in the series; # 9 will come out in 2-3 years)

The Bronze Horseman trilogy by Paullina Simons
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian

I've heard great things about the Wilderness series by Sara Donati and the Witches series by Deborah Harkness.

I also really enjoyed The Mortal Instruments series - even the last one which I though was not going to be a good read and it completely surprised me.

I like series if you can't tell :)

ETA: I left out Jane Porter and am feeling a little guilty about that so I now need to add her in. She writes both modern chick lit/romance and bodice-ripping Harlequin-type books. I've only read the former and really enjoy her books.

Last edited:
My all time favorite book is Looking for Alaska by John Green. I met him at a book festival at a college near me in May and got my copy signed. I've read it so many times so it's kind of falling apart and has coffee/tea stains on it. When he signed it he said "I can tell this book is really loved. Thank you so much." I definitely had a bit of a nerdy happy moment then!
I also love the Divergent series (met Veronica Roth the day after I met John Green :) ). The Great Gatsby and The Catcher in the Rye are also two of my favorites.

Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events are my all time favorites. A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra is also one of my favorites. It's such a great book and I was an emotional wreck reading it and for about three weeks after. So good haha.

Some of my favorite classics are Anna Karenina, Pride and Prejudice, and the Count of Monte Cristo. I'm trying to re-read a lot of the books that I had to read during high school and some other classic literature. I plan on re-reading Jane Eyre soon and then Emma. And definitely some more Jane Austen because I really like her.

I recently finished Capital by John Lanchester and it was pretty great. I would definitely recommend it if anybody is looking for something to read. I'm currently reading Americanah by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie. I really like it so far and I'm excited to see how it ends.

I love to read so I love this thread, haha. I've got about five books on my "To Read" list, but I keep buying more and I'm always open to recommendations! :)

Reading Yes Please by Amy Poehler and I am seriously in love! I would suggest it to anyone wanting a good read that's not fiction but not really serious non-fiction.

Also just finished reading a YA called Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer that I found randomly at B&N but really enjoyed it. Have recently read Lets All Be Brave by Annie F. Downs that I also really enjoyed.

Harry Potter series will always be one of my favorites. I really liked all of Sarah Dessen books, and liked all of John Green's but the one I liked the most (and one of my favorite books) is Looking for Alaska.

However I would love to find a new series to read because I have reached the end of my most recent ones.....

I'm also currently reading Yes Please by Amy Poehler. So far I'm loving it.

My favorite books of all time are :

Little Women
The Great Gatsby
The Harry Potter Series
To Kill A Mockingbird

And there's this great dystopian novel that's only available on the kindle by Lauren Nicolle Taylor that I really enjoyed called The Woodlands.

I have so many books in my to be read pile that it's ridiculous! I need to go on a book buying ban. But with websites like the book outlet and thrift books, and the used book section at Barnes and noble, can't stop won't stop.

My all time favourite book is Speak.
I like the Divergent series, I still think it has one of the worst endings ever though.
The Stephanie Plum books are fantastic, definitely 18+
I have a "booket list" (a bucket list of books) and on it I have all of the old classics, Pride and Prejudice, A Tale of Two Cities, etc. and the Harry Potter books.

LOVE the Stephanie Plum books! I read like one a day while on vacation.

I recently read the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver. The first two were solid, third one dragged and there was no real ending. I was drawn to it because the first book is set in my hometown, which was kind of odd but mostly cool. (It made things *very* easy to imagine, haha)

I read "I Am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe immediately after I graduated from college, and it was a really good read in that context. One of my favorites for sure, although I would wait until after college to read it. It's spooky how spot-on everything was.

I liked Divergent, tolerated Insurgent, and hated Allegiant. I wish Divergent were a standalone book, and I have no idea how on earth they're planning on squeezing two movies out of Allegiant. The book is 200 pages and the writing isn't exactly JK Rowling level.

I just started Stephen King's newest, "Revival." I don't really have any strong opinions about it yet, but I did get the opportunity to see him speak and respond to an audience Q&A last week in DC, which was amazing. He's surprisingly funny for someone whose mind is capable of coming up with some of the most twisted stuff I've ever read.

Plato's Republic. Read. Now. ASAP.

ETA: gahh I forgot about The Giver! I first read this book in third or fourth grade and it completely rocked my worldview and helped to shape me into the person I am today.

annndd then I like nonfiction political books but I'm not going to bore you all with that.

Last edited:
I recently read the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver. The first two were solid, third one dragged and there was no real ending. I was drawn to it because the first book is set in my hometown, which was kind of odd but mostly cool. (It made things *very* easy to imagine, haha)

I read "I Am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe immediately after I graduated from college, and it was a really good read in that context. One of my favorites for sure, although I would wait until after college to read it. It's spooky how spot-on everything was.

I liked Divergent, tolerated Insurgent, and hated Allegiant. I wish Divergent were a standalone book, and I have no idea how on earth they're planning on squeezing two movies out of Allegiant. The book is 200 pages and the writing isn't exactly JK Rowling level.

I just started Stephen King's newest, "Revival." I don't really have any strong opinions about it yet, but I did get the opportunity to see him speak and respond to an audience Q&A last week in DC, which was amazing. He's surprisingly funny for someone whose mind is capable of coming up with some of the most twisted stuff I've ever read.

Plato's Republic. Read. Now. ASAP.

annndd then I like nonfiction political books but I'm not going to bore you all with that.

I also love nonfiction political books, so feel free to talk about them.

I recently finished The Prince of Providence, which was perfect timing because I finished about a day before Election Day and then Cianci lost. But it was really, really interesting reading about the crazy amount of corruption in his multiple administrations. I intern for my mayor and love municipal government so maybe that's why I loved reading about it so much.

My all time favorite books are the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness even though I read them in 8th/9th grade. How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff and The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan are up there too.
I'm trying to get away from YA dystopian, so I'm currently reading Atonement by Ian McEwan and asking for The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and Under the Skin by Michel Faber for Christmas.

My all time favorite book is Looking for Alaska by John Green. I met him at a book festival at a college near me in May and got my copy signed. I've read it so many times so it's kind of falling apart and has coffee/tea stains on it. When he signed it he said "I can tell this book is really loved. Thank you so much." I definitely had a bit of a nerdy happy moment then!
I also love the Divergent series (met Veronica Roth the day after I met John Green :) ). The Great Gatsby and The Catcher in the Rye are also two of my favorites.

John Green is awesome. "Paper Towns" is a great book too. I didn't love "The Fault in our Stars."

I also love nonfiction political books, so feel free to talk about them.

I recently finished The Prince of Providence, which was perfect timing because I finished about a day before Election Day and then Cianci lost. But it was really, really interesting reading about the crazy amount of corruption in his multiple administrations. I intern for my mayor and love municipal government so maybe that's why I loved reading about it so much.

haha BUDDYYYYYYY. I was kind of hoping he'd win just for the lulz. (I went to school in Providence.)

Back