All-Star Boys Shouldn't Fly???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Coed stunting has a particular definition in all star cheerleading, based on scoring grids for both Varsity and JamBrands. On each score sheet, a female basing a female (or a male basing a male) can, depending on the situation, count as a coed stunt. Not intuitive, I know, but I wanted to clarify that yes, "coed stunt" could be the proper term for a single-gendered stunt, again, depending on the situation.
It will never be a "proper" term. It may be the term that Varsity and jambrands is using, but that doesn't make it *not wrong* when describing a stunt with only one gender.

It will never be a "proper" term. It may be the term that Varsity and jambrands is using, but that doesn't make it *not wrong* when describing a stunt with only one gender.
I'll respectfully disagree with you. Many professions and activities have words or phrases (jargon) that are particular to that profession or activity. In the same way that a "scorpion" in cheerleading is not literally a predatory arthropod, a coed stunt in cheerleading can mean a particular type of stunt that is not literally "coed". Just because you don't care for it, doesn't make it wrong. I guarantee you that multiple teams at competitions throughout the country this weekend will be scored on coed stunts that do NOT include both males and females. These stunts are coed by definition particular to this activity... Even if you don't like it, lol.

Eta - whoah that came out way more snarky than I intended. Sorry! I don't want to delete because I'll own my words but please know that I didn't intend to be such a jerk. I'm apparently terrible at trying to have a light tone when I'm tired. Sorry!!!

Last edited:
I'll respectfully disagree with you. Many professions and activities have words or phrases (jargon) that are particular to that profession or activity. In the same way that a "scorpion" in cheerleading is not literally a predatory arthropod, a coed stunt in cheerleading can mean a particular type of stunt that is not literally "coed". Just because you don't care for it, doesn't make it wrong. I guarantee you that multiple teams at competitions throughout the country this weekend will be scored on coed stunts that do NOT include both males and females. These stunts are coed by definition particular to this activity... Even if you don't like it, lol.

Eta - whoah that came out way more snarky than I intended. Sorry! I don't want to delete because I'll own my words but please know that I didn't intend to be such a jerk. I'm apparently terrible at trying to have a light tone when I'm tired. Sorry!!!
I shimmied for the edit! Nice to see.

I get what you said. It is more coed style than actual coed.

A co ed stunt is technically a stunt that has both male and female participants is it not? Just because it's the 'norm' for there to be a male base and a female flyer, wouldn't it be the SAME thing if it were all girl bases and a male flyer?

I feel a little uncomfortable watching boys pull body positions.

I feel a whole lot more uncomfortable with a teams score being affected JUST because he's a boy.
Some gyms post a video of a team every day, some have horrible uniforms, some coaches love the music which we dislike. If a gym wants to fly a boy, to me at least - it shouldn't affect the score unless said boy is on the floor lying next to his bases on the ground during a stunt section.
If half of the uniforms and half of the tumbling technique that I see are allowed to slide at competitions, then why can't Freddie Flexible pull his needle?

Last edited:
We watched a male flyer on I believe Dream today - not sure where they are from - but he was amazing. Incredible flexibility. He also based coed stunts and was a phenomenal tumbler. He may have caught your eye initially because he was a male flyer but his overall skills were just top notch. Well done Dream!!

I recently saw a boy flier at a competition and quite honestly although he was good, he wasn't any smaller and was probably heavier than his bases and his stunt group struggled to keep him in the air, and since he was point it was extremely noticeable. Their stunt variety was also limited (not sure if it was because of the male flyer or the ability of each group). I can see this being an example of a judge suggesting replacing him as a flyer.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

I saw the boy on Vizion in Providence... I was totally impressed! He gave me everything! Props to him... I have never been that impressed by a male flyer before. My opinion is if the boy can hang all power to him!
@notimeforthat....he is my one of my CP's teammates and is not only extremely talented, but also very passionate about what he does! Thank you very much:)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you too. I just wouldnt say it because i thought people would hate me. I am a big fan of male flyers but ialso love female flyers. But it shouldnt matter what you think. Or what gender the fleyrs on your team have. the one that is best at what he/she is doing should do it. Period.

If we want to develop the sport we need to think about recruiting all types of people. not only the bulkier strong boys but also the smaller built boys. Not every boys is over 6 feet tall and not everyboy can base or backspot.
Also he is quite "capable" of basing. I'm not the coach and I don't make those decisions but I would have no issues with him basing my cp!

It should not matter if the flyer is a girl or boy only who performs the skills the best... I think the sport can move forward a lot quicker, if we get the boys and girls use to all the cheerleading positions by starting really young, like on Tiny and Mini teams... Maybe, if it is started at younger ages the judges will be accustomed to seeing it...
@Fierce_DeLite...thank you:)

Also he is quite "capable" of basing. I'm not the coach and I don't make those decisions but I would have no issues with him basing my cp!

Ok maybe so.. but should we stop him from flying even though he can base?? A lot of girls can both base and fly...

Back