Bra Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 13, 2011
Okay so i know im posting like crazy on here but I have another question for u guys...everyone has been soo helpful on stuff in the boards!

So what is the best bra to wear when cheering? Sports bra or a regular bra, like victorias secret or any traditional type. The other day wearing our uniforms for our first game i wore a normal style bra under the shell. Since we were not wearing a bodyliner i figured it would give me a little more support. I was fine, no straps showing and completely comfortable, but all the other girls on my squad were killing me about it, saying I should have worn a sports bra.....whats the big deal? is it really that much different? what do all you girls think?

I personally love to wear a normal push up bra from victorias secret always, whether its cheering or at school. It just makes le feel more confident and they are soo comfy! I dont like sports bras because they are so tight against me and make me look super duper flat!!

agreed. not a fan of that constricted feeling. Although when wearing a crop top under the shell i pretty much have to wear the sports bra or that underwire from the VS bras would hurt so bad!

I always wear my VS 'everywhere push-up bra'. Its so comfy, but still lifts and makes the girls look great :). But, the 'wear everywhere t-shirt bra' is good too. There both really soft material and they are usually on sale!

I'm rather busty and genuinely can't train without a good sports bra to strap them in! When I compete my uniform has cut out shoulders so I wear a strapless bra with a skin colored sports bra/crop top which has criss-crosss clear straps.

A regular bra is fine, until years later, when you realize that constant bounce without proper support can traumatize tissue and break down essential muscle fibers in the chest that provide natural lift. Though you may not like "looking flat," or having what I lovingly refer to as "uni-boob," your top half will thank you later for having the support of a good sports bra. Let's just say they will stand up and salute you for your generous support in years to come.
Seriously, ladies, trust me on this one. Or go check out a National Geographic article about indigenous peoples in third world countries.

@Mamarazzi I am taking your post to my cheerleaders and gymnasts! I seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time telling them they must wear sports bras and that they will thank me in years to come.
Over the summer we started sending girls home if we could see they were wearing a normal bra so they could change and it seems to have worked, every now and then someone slips up.
We weren't allowed normal bras in the gym at all or in dance class, my coaches just said it was part of our uniform and had to be treated the same as any other part of it. I'm only 30 but after meeting up with a group we used to compete against for drinks over the summer I and some of my former team are very pleased our coaches enforced the sports bra rule lol

I seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time telling them they must wear sports bras
im the exact same!!! mine have started wearing crop tops over a normal bra and im like ...seriously that doesnt count!

not only the benefits they will have when they are older but we train in a public sports centre and often share the hall with 2-3 other groups of people (including men) when our kids tumble and condition if your upside down your top falls down... im sick of seeing their brightly coloured bras! and im sure their parents wouldnt be happy with the men we share a hall with seeing them!

There are sports bras that do not give you uni-boobs. As a militay mom (with 4 kids) and a D cup, I workout 3-5 times a week. I order my sports bras from Title 9' s website. They offer great supporting bras for workouts, however, they are not very "cute", but I gave up "cute" a long time a go. There are several other companies that offer great sports bras, however, they do not come cheap.

I also sometimes wonder who designs and picks out these cheer uniforms that do not allow girls to wear good fitting sports bras. I have heard, "well they can go for 2.30 min without a bra". Hmm... I assume the person saying that is an A or B cup, not a C or D cup. LoL. In addition, you wear the uniform all day at competions. It is quite uncomfortable/insecure for some to go braless or in poor supporting bras.

A regular bra is fine, until years later, when you realize that constant bounce without proper support can traumatize tissue and break down essential muscle fibers in the chest that provide natural lift. Though you may not like "looking flat," or having what I lovingly refer to as "uni-boob," your top half will thank you later for having the support of a good sports bra. Let's just say they will stand up and salute you for your generous support in years to come.
Seriously, ladies, trust me on this one. Or go check out a National Geographic article about indigenous peoples in third world countries.

:eek:I think I know which National Geograpic picture you are talking about. It scarred me when I was about 12. My next comment is about to be graphic. So don't read if you have just eaten. I assisted a large breasted elderly woman with her care once. She bent over (in a night gown). There was something showing under her gown by her feet. It was her boobs stretched that low. Dang it people...wear support. That is nothing you want to see on yourself! I still get the shivers when I think about it. :confused: I could not believe the human body could fall apart that bad.:eek:

You MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST wear a sports bra. They are specifically designed to support your girls. You need that support because of all the bouncing that goes on. My HS coach explained this to us my freshman year: Each time your breasts bounce the little fibers that hold up your breasts get microscopic tears (similar to when you lift, the muscles tear and then repair). Well, when they repair, they aren't as tight as before. When you're older you'll have saggy boobs. Perfect example: My HS coach scared me with this. I wore an A cup in high school, but I ALWAYS wore a sports bra. My friend, who was also an A cup, didn't think she needed one. Flash forward 20 years: we're in our 30s, have kids, and our breasts are both much bigger (D cup for me, C cup for her).....guess who's saggy and who's perky? Yup, she can't figure out why she's smaller but saggy and I'm bigger and my girls stand up on their own. I reminded her of her choice to wear a regular bra during HS cheer.

Back