All-Star Cali Aces Jamz Incident

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I 100% agree that the USASF needs to implement a standard system for stopping a teams music after an injury, these are the issues we need to be focusing on!

In relation to why the EP/Coaches took so long to stop the music I will share my view on todays accident...
First off the "Coaches Box" at this competition is directly in front of the floor, this makes it pretty difficult to see the floor in it's entirety. I was squatting about 2 or 3 panels to the left of the Coaches Box & happened to be right next to Paige's Mother. As the collision occurred I immediately stood up to see if anyone was seriously injured. It was extremely hard to tell as both the girls stood up & moved to the back of the floor. As soon as Paige crossed center and turned her face it was clear she was bleeding. At this point her Mom took off around the left side of the floor and met Paige as the spotter guided her off towards the medic. **This is when the EP should have stopped the music. Paige exited the floor at the music table where multiple Jamz staff members were present**. The Coaches most likely did not see Paige exit the floor due to their obscured view.
It was very difficult to see if Tayler was injured as the routine continued to progress. She got right up & went into her stunt. Clearly something was wrong as her basket failed to go but the extent of her injury was not apparent(Atleast not from my view). As soon as Tayler became visible again in the stunt leading into the pyramid & it was clear that she was not ok(blood was visible) Ranna was on her feet with the rest of the staff on her heels to stop the routine. Looking back on the situation it's quite apparent to me that Tayler was in shock and did not realize how badly she was injured.
Of course these coaches push their athletes but please do not think for one second that they would ever put their health or wellbeing in jeopardy. This is a team that I only have the pleasure of seeing a few times a year at large competitions. The love that surrounds this team is intoxicating, the bond that these athletes have with their coaches is one of a kind! So while the situation may seem "clear" from a video it was much different as it was happening. So instead of questioning how events played out or how they should have lets switch our focus towards putting a plan into effect that will minimize situations like this.

Completely agree. If a kid needs to leave the floor, then the routine needs to stop. That NEEDS to be the standard! As bad as this was, it could have been even worse. As it was mentioned before, what if a base is hurt, missing, in shock, ect... And no one knows until she is not able to catch a flyover in a pyramid or something... So scary to me! My thoughts are with this team. On a side note, the routine looks awesome!

Completely agree. If a kid needs to leave the floor, then the routine needs to stop. That NEEDS to be the standard! As bad as this was, it could have been even worse. As it was mentioned before, what if a base is hurt, missing, in shock, ect... And no one knows until she is not able to catch a flyover in a pyramid or something... So scary to me! My thoughts are with this team. On a side note, the routine looks awesome!

Exactly what I was worried about! People missing in the pyramid could end sooo badly

This looks like it was a snowballing effect. The girl who first tore her ACL (going to the front right corner) was then obviously in pain and limping. I wonder if she cam in too much and threw off the girl doing the standing tumbling to the backs lineup. Then we know what happened there. Realistically, if that is what happened, I don't think the second injuries could have been avoided.

However, I think there needs to be a rule about if someone walks off the mat for more than 5 seconds the routine needs to be stopped. That would take of if a routine should be going or not.

As well, for stopping a routine I do understand it is ultimately the coach who has to decide when to say stop. I know when Orange had an injury last year it was waiting until the standing tumbling section was over because the risk of injury goes if you stop it mid tumble pass. So there is no perfect answer of when to stop during the routine, but it did seem to take too long on this video.

The 3rd injury the torn Acl she comes some where from the back I didn't see a TD anyway I just saw that girl grab her leg and got off the mate and the bruised rib she had to gotten hurt between the stunts baskets or the pyramid!! but then when the music finally stopped you see the coach grab another girl dragged her off the mate idk what happen to her

That is the girl from the collision. It looks like she is point flyer, you can watch her wiping blood off her face in the stunt. By the pyramid she misses something on the right and when she goes up in the middle she looks pale.

As a mother this makes me tear up, as a nurse it makes me cringe.

First, I want to say I am so glad that it was not worse than it was. It was comforting to see the girls smiling for the cameras later, although I am sure they are still in an amazing amount of pain. As a parent of a Level 5 athlete, I have seen many injuries over the 10 years she has cheered. We have been very blessed that her injuries have been minor. In the beginning, I would have been likely to go on the mat in a situation like this. Over time, I have realized that the coaches know more than I do and are more educated in these situations. As parents, our first impulse is to go to our children, but as parents of advanced athletes, we have to trust their coaches. I would have done exactly what Paige's mom did. Go to the side of the mat and meet the officials. Remember, they know where the EMT's are and how to navigate the back areas better than we do. Would I be having a "crazy cheer mom moment"? You betcha, but our athletes look to us for support and will react to our "reactions", so keeping ourselves as calm as possible is best for them.
On another note, I was truly moved by this team and how AMAZING they were. They did exactly what they were trained to do. They didn't miss a beat. They put up stunts that many teams in their division can't do with a full team. They are true champions and should be so proud of themselves. I cannot wait to see them in Dallas!!!! Cali Aces...you have a new fan in me!!!

Was one of the girls in the collision the point flyer? That made me cringe seeing the picture of her news and then seeing her try to finish the rest of the rountinr.... I've always loved cali aces but right now I have a whole new level of respect for them

Injuries are NEVER a call of a coach in ANY sport it is the officials. Which doesn't mean the coach can't call it if they see it to the official.

This is gross negligence. An attorney would have field day with this.

I am happy to hear all are going to be ok. My thoughts and prayers are for a full recovery.

Every competition should have a certified athletic trainer, an emergence plan that was rehearsed, and a designated person (safety judge is my suggestion) to see and follow protocol if there is an injury whether in warm ups or while competing.

First, I want to say I am so glad that it was not worse than it was. It was comforting to see the girls smiling for the cameras later, although I am sure they are still in an amazing amount of pain. As a parent of a Level 5 athlete, I have seen many injuries over the 10 years she has cheered. We have been very blessed that her injuries have been minor. In the beginning, I would have been likely to go on the mat in a situation like this. Over time, I have realized that the coaches know more than I do and are more educated in these situations. As parents, our first impulse is to go to our children, but as parents of advanced athletes, we have to trust their coaches. I would have done exactly what Paige's mom did. Go to the side of the mat and meet the officials. Remember, they know where the EMT's are and how to navigate the back areas better than we do. Would I be having a "crazy cheer mom moment"? You betcha, but our athletes look to us for support and will react to our "reactions", so keeping ourselves as calm as possible is best for them.
On another note, I was truly moved by this team and how AMAZING they were. They did exactly what they were trained to do. They didn't miss a beat. They put up stunts that many teams in their division can't do with a full team. They are true champions and should be so proud of themselves. I cannot wait to see them in Dallas!!!! Cali Aces...you have a new fan in me!!!
I couldn't agree with you more. It is so easy for us to sit back a judge a situation and the decisions made or not made by a coach, however cheer being the truly team sport it is tends to attract athletes that will complete the job at all costs. Coaches know their athletes and at times have to follow their lead, if the athlete continues then I can see why a coach would not intervene. I work in health care and I still defer to the coaches decision when my child is in their hands. They have nothing to gain from having an athlete injured. God bless the girls of Cali Aces.

Was one of the girls in the collision the point flyer? That made me cringe seeing the picture of her news and then seeing her try to finish the rest of the rountinr.... I've always loved cali aces but right now I have a whole new level of respect for them

I'm pretty sure she's point flyer, I won't say positive since I wasn't there.

I have a lot of respect for that team, they looked really good, even with all of that going on.

My cp and I were there and saw the whole thing, she was down by the floor supporting the team. On the way home I talked to her and reminded her that if she is badly injured she needs to leave the floor. Her response? "Mom I know! But sometimes when you get hurt during a routine your brain turns off. It doesn't understand so your body keeps going because your brain is all confused by it!" Honestly that is probably the single most accurate answer I have ever heard. Which is why I agree that USASF's time would be better spent looking to situations like this and not worrying about my child's middrif.

Injuries are NEVER a call of a coach in ANY sport it is the officials. Which doesn't mean the coach can't call it if they see it to the official.

This is gross negligence. An attorney would have field day with this.

I am happy to hear all are going to be ok. My thoughts and prayers are for a full recovery.

Every competition should have a certified athletic trainer, an emergence plan that was rehearsed, and a designated person (safety judge is my suggestion) to see and follow protocol if there is an injury whether in warm ups or while competing.

Can we get on this right away? It should require a focus group, it just needs to be done, I cant get the image of those pics out of my head

When I was in 8th grade a girl on our high school's JV team broke her arm in the first 10 seconds of the routine at State. She got up to spirit after her back handspring and her arm just flopped there like a wet noodle (its on video, ick) and then goes to try to back spot. The music stopped and I guess her mom like leaped on stage. I wasn't there so I've just heard stories. Some say the girls on the team yelled stop the music and others say differently. She ended up coming back the next year and got her back handspring back.

Back