All-Star Cali Allstars Is Doing All Of Ata Routines 2012-2013 Season!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

not a fan of other gyms doing other teams routines. just my thing. i respect in-house choreo so much more. nothing against either gyms, i love them both, i just hate when other coaches who are getting paid to be coaches pay other coaches to make them a routine that is not going to be better than what cali would do for themselves. it's like setting yourself up to have an average routine. who would ever give another team a routine that would be good enough to beat them, on top of that, ata and cali both have teams in similar divisions and will meet at worlds.............................i can see maybe help in one area, but that would be it, be original and do your own stuff.

The coaches at ATA clearly have strengths, they have some beastly tumbling and some pretty solid coed stunting from what I've seen, but not everyone excels in choreography, in fact many people are rather terrible at it. Why do you think people like Wes Haley, Eric Little, etc. have jobs? Although some may coach full time at one gym, there are MANY choreographers out there who get paid simply because they have a brain that is more geared towards that part of the routine and not just a knowledge of stunting technique, tumbling technique, etc.

The coaches at ATA clearly have strengths, they have some beastly tumbling and some pretty solid coed stunting from what I've seen, but not everyone excels in choreography, in fact many people are rather terrible at it. Why do you think people like Wes Haley, Eric Little, etc. have jobs? Although some may coach full time at one gym, there are MANY choreographers out there who get paid simply because they have a brain that is more geared towards that part of the routine and not just a knowledge of stunting technique, tumbling technique, etc.
cut its not eric little, its another gym doing another gyms routine. if a choreographer who is not attached to a certain gym wants to, that would be my only exception. to have another gym choreograph your gyms routines is kinda like...why? i dont like coaches that just facilitate, rrri admire coaches that do their own thing and are successful with it.

cut its not eric little, its another gym doing another gyms routine. if a choreographer who is not attached to a certain gym wants to, that would be my only exception. to have another gym choreograph your gyms routines is kinda like...why? i dont like coaches that just facilitate, rrri admire coaches that do their own thing and are successful with it.

The thing is that's not always an option. Some people just aren't as gifted in choreography as others, and that doesn't mean a person shouldn't coach a team or own a gym.

But how would you know if they are doing it themselves or bringing in someone? How many actually advertise they bring in outside choreography (besides this thread lol)?

Our coaches do choreo for other gyms all the time. I just thought that's how the cheer world worked. I don't see what the big deal is either. It's not like they'll be competing the same routines.

But how would you know if they are doing it themselves or bringing in someone? How many actually advertise they bring in outside choreography (besides this thread lol)?
The thing is that's not always an option. Some people just aren't as gifted in choreography as others, and that doesn't mean a person shouldn't coach a team or own a gym.
So Courtney Pope needs to stop teaching other teams pyramids and Jamie Parrish needs to stop giving out dances? :cow:
Exactly. Happy does choreo and many ACE coaches do choreography for other gyms.
It's just my preference. I've seen smaller gyms get old routines or recycled dances. To me it's something where I wouldn't give a team something better than mine, so already your getting something sub par of the choreographers ability. Unless I'm wrong and choreographers do better routines for other gyms than their actual gyms. For smaller gyms I guess it's whatever, but if your ATA and on the rise, I dont think I would want Cali, who is in your division at worlds, to do my choreography. Nothing personal to any gym or choreographer. That's just my theory and why I would rather do all my own choreography. That's half the fun part of the job right? To authenticate your program with your own style of choreography? At least thats where I would find joy in it. I see all your points of view, I hope you can understand mine.

It's just my preference. I've seen smaller gyms get old routines or recycled dances. To me it's something where I wouldn't give a team something better than mine, so already your getting something sub par of the choreographers ability. Unless I'm wrong and choreographers do better routines for other gyms than their actual gyms. For smaller gyms I guess it's whatever, but if your ATA and on the rise, I dont think I would want Cali, who is in your division at worlds, to do my choreography. Nothing personal to any gym or choreographer. That's just my theory and why I would rather do all my own choreography. That's half the fun part of the job right? To authenticate your program with your own style of choreography? At least thats where I would find joy in it. I see all your points of view, I hope you can understand mine.

I understand your point in not wanting recycled choreography, that makes sense, and yes it might make sense to put your own stamp on your teams' routines, but just because there's assistance coming from outside the gym doesn't mean the coaches at ATA have no influence, or are not able to adjust to suit their style. California is a well-respected and very successful program that is clearly doing something right, ATA might need that help for a season or 2 and I don't see anything wrong in that. It is just a matter of opinion though.

Side question. I've wondered this for a bit. Is Wes Haley a part of a gym or just a freelance choreographer?

Side question. I've wondered this for a bit. Is Wes Haley a part of a gym or just a freelance choreographer?

He is a former Louisville athlete so I am sure at one time he was part of Gym Tyme but he is a freelance choreography from what I have seen. He seems to work with the same big teams season after season.

You're definitely free to run your gym/teams however you like. But I disagree with your contention that it would be recycled or sub par.

You're definitely free to run your gym/teams however you like. But I disagree with your contention that it would be recycled or sub par.
again, i was not addressing that it would be the case for all gyms. Would ACE make an entire routine for (a Large Coed) team that had innovation we have never seen before or give them everything they know and new ideas when it could beat their Large Coed team? Sure, maybe your friends, which is why CEA and GA work together, that I can see. From a business/competitive perspective I would never do choreo for a team that was in my same division. Helping them out with parts I can see, but I would never want to have an entire routine made by someone in my own division. It would kind of be like Bill Belichick (Patriots Head Coach) giving the New York Jets and Offensive strategy.

Back