All-Star Can't Wear Other Gyms Shirts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think it is silly, but if it is in the rules then you follow and respect them.

I can see why a gym would want to make this rule (even if I think it is silly). Like Rich said that would be like working for Coke and wearing a Pepsi shirt to work. It is a bit different but it is basically what the gym seems to be getting at. Whether you want to believe it or not when you walk around with another gym's shirt on you are acting as a walking advertisment.

What about college cheer team shirts, are you allowed to wear those? So you can't wear a Shooting Stars shirt, but could you wear a Louisville shirt?

no offense but i think saying you cant wear another gyms shirt is weird...i find wearing them nice and it shows great sportsmanship...but i respect your coaches rules

at my gym we can wear any shirt we want, whether it be a big gym or the competitor from down the street (which people do wear) until we get our specific sports bras and shorts, but even then we can wear whatever shirt overtop into the gym
and we also listen to other gyms music during tumbling or open gym, just because it's fun! and it's fun to try to do the big peoples routine with your friends (when none of you are level 5!),
and its fun when someone wears another gym's shirts because it normally brings on conversation about competitions, routines, rivals, anything! i love it

Actually, no, you can't. Gym rules state it must be a shirt from the gym, or from a competition (either one you won, or one you purchased.

It is in the handbook that each cheerleader signs at the beginning of the season.

And this, IMO, is exactly the point. RESPECT for the rules that you agreed to follow.
Then why would I get called out for wearing another gyms shirt but nobody else gets called out for wearing piggly wiggly and other shirts that have nothing to do with cheer?

We have practice wear for practices. But at open gyms everyone wears other gyms stuff! I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying, as long as it's not like the gyms rivals, or a gym that you compete against in the same city as you or something like that, then it is perfectly fine. One of the coaches went to Top Gun to tumble and he even brought back one of the girls a sports bra. So I think it just kinda depends on if it is a really famous team or like your rival.

i don't think the issue here is why you can't wear other teams shirts- the issue is that you signed something that said you wouldn't- because that's the rule your gym decided on. It does't matter if you agree with the rule or not- it is your gym policy and you signed off on it so at this point you have to respect it and follow it.

i don't think the issue here is why you can't wear other teams shirts- the issue is that you signed something that said you wouldn't- because that's the rule your gym decided on. It does't matter if you agree with the rule or not- it is your gym policy and you signed off on it so at this point you have to respect it and follow it.
I understand that, but we havent been given the handbook to sign this year. At least I havent. All we got was the registration forms and future dates. Besides its during the summer! I understand during competition season but what if I traded all of my gym shirts and I dont have anything else to wear? I have to listen to the rule regardless but that doesnt mean I fully understand where they are coming from. Which is why I started this thread. I felt it was a tad preposterous.

I understand that, but we havent been given the handbook to sign this year. At least I havent. All we got was the registration forms and future dates. Besides its during the summer! quote]

Was the rule in last year's handbook? If so then you should have already known it was a rule. Rules should still be followed during the summer.

I understand that you are unsure why they have this rule, but it seems pretty obvious why they want you to wear clothing representing their gym. Really you should be proud to wear your gym's clothes while at practice, if not I question why you are at that gym.

I understand that you are unsure why they have this rule, but it seems pretty obvious why they want you to wear clothing representing their gym. Really you should be proud to wear your gym's clothes while at practice, if not I question why you are at that gym.
I assume you posted this part and meant for it to go outside the quotes..

I think the last bit is a bit of a stretch, at least on my assumption. It's never that I wouldn't be proud to wear my own gyms stuff, but if I just happen to throw on a shirt from, I dunno, North Dublin Wildcats, I wouldn't understand why that's such a big deal. Especially if it's a team you don't compete against (because they're foreign!). And it's not in competition season. If you're not designating practice wear but you're practicing multiple times a week, they may only have so many gym shirts and they're all dirty. I also believe she mentioned in her OP that a coach was allowed to wear a louisville shirt but 'It was different.' I'm sorry, but all or nothing. If it's the week of BUTBT and you're large coed and competing against TG, I can understand why that week they might not want you to wear one of their shirts. At a comp where I'm representing my gym, I was proud and happy to wear a Take One shirt. But if it was summer open practice, we had WC music blaring and people in TG t-shirts with zebra bows. Or stuff like that haha..

I assume you posted this part and meant for it to go outside the quotes..

I think the last bit is a bit of a stretch, at least on my assumption. It's never that I wouldn't be proud to wear my own gyms stuff, but if I just happen to throw on a shirt from, I dunno, North Dublin Wildcats, I wouldn't understand why that's such a big deal. Especially if it's a team you don't compete against (because they're foreign!). And it's not in competition season. If you're not designating practice wear but you're practicing multiple times a week, they may only have so many gym shirts and they're all dirty. I also believe she mentioned in her OP that a coach was allowed to wear a louisville shirt but 'It was different.' I'm sorry, but all or nothing. If it's the week of BUTBT and you're large coed and competing against TG, I can understand why that week they might not want you to wear one of their shirts. At a comp where I'm representing my gym, I was proud and happy to wear a Take One shirt. But if it was summer open practice, we had WC music blaring and people in TG t-shirts with zebra bows. Or stuff like that haha..

Yeah that post messed up sorry.

I understand just throwing on a shirt. I am taking it from the point of view that this has been a rule that has been in place therefore there shouldn't be a big deal because it should have been followed from the get go. Sometimes it sounds like athletes would rather wear their Top Gun shirt to practice then a shirt from their own gym which is why I threw out the be proud to wear your gym's clothing. If there is no rule in the handbook I can understand being confused by it, but if it has been in the handbook year after year then I am not sure why there should be confusion. Also if there were other people wearing shirts from other gyms and not getting in trouble I would also be confused, but as someone else posted it is a known rule.

I will say I don't understand the Louisville thing, my guess is because it was just a tshirt for the school and not a cheerleading shirt. Most people have plain Louisville shirts unless they get one of their national shirts that they sell.

I understand that, but we havent been given the handbook to sign this year. At least I havent. All we got was the registration forms and future dates. Besides its during the summer! I understand during competition season but what if I traded all of my gym shirts and I dont have anything else to wear? I have to listen to the rule regardless but that doesnt mean I fully understand where they are coming from. Which is why I started this thread. I felt it was a tad preposterous.

Handbooks were handed out and reviewed at all parent meetings at the start of the season. That specific rule was pointed out and everyone was told it would be enforced. In addition, you should have reviewed the rules again at your one-on-one coach meeting at the beginning of the season, when you (or your parent) would have been asked to sign in agreement.

If you haven't had a meeting with your coach, you need to follow-up and get on her schedule. I know everyone was given multiple opportunities to sign up for these meetings, at the parent meetings and during the first week of practices.

Back