All-Star Can't Wear Other Gyms Shirts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Im not cheering this year but my old gym did this. The coaches would freak out if you wore another gyms shirt. We were senior coed 3, I dont think wearing a shooting stars shirt is really supporting a competitor lol On a serious note, I think you should be able to wear what you want when you arent in a set practice uniform. Just because you wear a shirt with a certain gym on it doesnt mean you support them over yourself.

I mean you wouldn't see a Yankee walking around in a Red Socks shirt. You wouldn't see someone who works at Gatorade drinking Powerade.

While not entirely the same, I think it follows the same logic. While you may look at it as just a fun shirt, the owner sees it as wearing the competitors name. (I mean competitor in terms of the business)

But you DO still want my daughter to rock her World Cup school supplies in the lobby of her gym here, right? :cool:

I think it's one thing if it's a rival or a gym down the street. But I think it's totally different if my cp is at practice here in Chicago and she's wearing a shirt from Fame or Top Gun or something.

unless we are supposed to wear something specific, i don't see the problem with wearing another gym's shirt. your cheering here, not there. we also encourage our worlds teams to trade shirts at worlds so we would look a little hypocritical if we told them they can't wear them. come to practice on time and we're 5x5.

I think it's ridiculous. As an athlete, if I'm showing up to practice every time and on-time, I think that shows I'm dedicated to my team and my gym. If I wear a World Cup shirt (y'all may be surprised, but I have QUITE a few) to practice, that in no way, shape or form means I'm considering leaving you to cheer there; it means I can respect another team in my own sport that puts together a skilled and impressive routine. I think it's a thing that's pretty unique to cheerleading, but I think it's healthy.

We have to wear our set practice wear for practice, Our gyms shirts and sports bra's only. But the last week in every month we are allowed to wear whatever we want, so long as we pay £1 to wear anything. So its kind of like a fundraiser too, aswell as being able to wear our favourite american teams clothing :)

IMO I don't think it is fair to pick and choose which team's shirts you allow to be worn. Even if I wear the shirt of a team that's down the street, if I wanted to be there, I would, just wearing a shirt means something totally different. I think that unless you have required practice wear you should be able wear whatever practice clothes you like.

We have quite a few cheerleaders who came over from a local competitor. In their gym, they were required to wear mandatory practice clothes (in their gym's colors with their logo). At our gym, you can wear whatever you want to practice (except just a sports bra - that is a whole different topic). I have personally seen tons of t-shirts from the local competitor and nobody cares -- it is practice clothes. They are just transferring over what they practiced in at their gym. Would we want to go to a local parade and sport that? Of course not. But it is practice clothes! Sweat and get dirty in whatever you want.

Now, that particular local gym has a fit if someone comes to watch our practice -- one of their cheerleaders was actually suspended over coming to watch a practice at our gym. Talk about insecurity. :chillpill:

My gym doesn't care if you wear other gyms t-shirts in the summer before we get our practice clothes set, I used to wear CA and Twist and Shout shirts all the time to practice and my coaches didn't mind! Even though CA is about 30 min. or so from us I don't consider them a 'rival' because we compete in different divisions (small & large gyms) but I still support them and their program and I have a lot of friends that go there! I don't think it's a big deal really, you're obviously cheering at your gym and are hard working and commited to the team, and wearing another gym's shirt you traded doesn't mean you like them over your gym...just that you support them. :)

If you are tumbling or practicing in my gym and you are wearing my biggest local competitor's shirt, doesn't that mean you left my competitor to come to me???

That's what it would look like anyhow. So gyms should encourage it, not discourage it!

i loved wearing other gyms shirts or supporting other gyms i loved and people always said how un-loyal i was. my response i pay the same amount i go the same amount if not more and im one of the main people in the routine? #lookatmenow

i would say i believe you should be allowed to wear other gyms shirts. its apart of cheerleading to trade shirts and get new ones to wear and show off. you look up to the team its not like your going to move to there team or influence others to do so. i understand were your coach is comiing from but seriously this is not a big enough deal to band you from wearing them, she needs to let it go!

I don't think you should wear local gyms shirts and practice wear, but if my daughter, who lives in TX, wants to wear a shirt from CEA or Maryland Twisters, I don't think it's a big problem and it should be allowed.

the "gym down the street" from us makes kids turn their shirts inside out if our logo is on it (tumbling classes for rec or school and open gyms, etc)..... at our gym there are 10 different gyms' shirts on any given day (including the 2 other gyms within 2 miles of us). I personally don't understand what the big deal is... I'm not concerned that someone may see Gym ABC's t-shirt and decide to go cheer for them

Although I can see where they're coming from, I think you should be able to wear whatever you want! I know at my gym we have practice uni's but at privates and open gym I work my other gyms shirts. No one minds. That being said, if I wore the t-shirt of a rival gym I think we would have some problems.

Back