All-Star Can't Wear Other Gyms Shirts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yeah that post messed up sorry.

I understand just throwing on a shirt. I am taking it from the point of view that this has been a rule that has been in place therefore there shouldn't be a big deal because it should have been followed from the get go. Sometimes it sounds like athletes would rather wear their Top Gun shirt to practice then a shirt from their own gym which is why I threw out the be proud to wear your gym's clothing. If there is no rule in the handbook I can understand being confused by it, but if it has been in the handbook year after year then I am not sure why there should be confusion. Also if there were other people wearing shirts from other gyms and not getting in trouble I would also be confused, but as someone else posted it is a known rule.

I will say I don't understand the Louisville thing, my guess is because it was just a tshirt for the school and not a cheerleading shirt. Most people have plain Louisville shirts unless they get one of their national shirts that they sell.
Actually this wasnt a rule last year that I know of. I had seen plenty of people walking around in other programs shirts last year and I wore some too. The rule was never made clear to anyone last year if it was in place.

Handbooks were handed out and reviewed at all parent meetings at the start of the season. That specific rule was pointed out and everyone was told it would be enforced. In addition, you should have reviewed the rules again at your one-on-one coach meeting at the beginning of the season, when you (or your parent) would have been asked to sign in agreement.

If you haven't had a meeting with your coach, you need to follow-up and get on her schedule. I know everyone was given multiple opportunities to sign up for these meetings, at the parent meetings and during the first week of practices.

I was in practice during the parent meeting. And I was at woodward during the parent/coach meeting. My mother was at both of those and our director looked directly at her when saying the thing about shirts obviously making it a point that I am the only one who wears them. I don't agree with the rule and neither does my mother. I hadnt been told to not wear them personally by my coach until last week. Like I said I have to follow the rule regardless but its interesting how many people on here also agree that its ridiculous.

I was in practice during the parent meeting. And I was at woodward during the parent/coach meeting. My mother was at both of those and our director looked directly at her when saying the thing about shirts obviously making it a point that I am the only one who wears them. I don't agree with the rule and neither does my mother. I hadnt been told to not wear them personally by my coach until last week. Like I said I have to follow the rule regardless but its interesting how many people on here also agree that its ridiculous.

Yes, many people on here may think it is a ridiculous rule, and you are entitled to your opinion as well. However, if you have a problem with it, you should take it to your coach or a director for an explanation, instead of complaining on here which will not do anything to help you understand the gym's rationale behind the rule or possibly do something to get it changed.

Yes, many people on here may think it is a ridiculous rule, and you are entitled to your opinion as well. However, if you have a problem with it, you should take it to your coach or a director for an explanation, instead of complaining on here which will not do anything to help you understand the gym's rationale behind the rule or possibly do something to get it changed.
I thought I might ask what everyone else thought first. Who knows I could have been the only one with a problem with it. Who knows how many gyms also had this rule in place? Im not going to say I was wrong in making this thread because its interesting to know what everyone else thinks.

We have quite a few cheerleaders who came over from a local competitor. In their gym, they were required to wear mandatory practice clothes (in their gym's colors with their logo). At our gym, you can wear whatever you want to practice (except just a sports bra - that is a whole different topic). I have personally seen tons of t-shirts from the local competitor and nobody cares -- it is practice clothes. They are just transferring over what they practiced in at their gym. Would we want to go to a local parade and sport that? Of course not. But it is practice clothes! Sweat and get dirty in whatever you want.

Now, that particular local gym has a fit if someone comes to watch our practice -- one of their cheerleaders was actually suspended over coming to watch a practice at our gym. Talk about insecurity. :chillpill:

They were suspended because they went mid comp season. I'm sure more than several on here would agree that checking out another gym mid season isn't acceptable. It's in our handbook, and agreed upon before our year starts. It's not insecurity, that's just how we do things. Clearly, there have been some boundaries that have been overstepped in the past, and we have that rule to avoid any conflict. I would appreciate it if you stopped speaking on our gyms behalf.

They were suspended because they went mid comp season. I'm sure more than several on here would agree that checking out another gym mid season isn't acceptable. It's in our handbook, and agreed upon before our year starts. It's not insecurity, that's just how we do things. Clearly, there have been some boundaries that have been overstepped in the past, and we have that rule to avoid any conflict. I would appreciate it if you stopped speaking on our gyms behalf.
@NEliteSteven - I am not speaking on your gym's behalf; I was speaking on my gym's behalf. My post was about wearing other program's shirts to practice. We see our members sporting your gym's practice clothes all the time and nobody gives a hoot. We don't despise your gym, despite the fact that you guys sure would like to think so. The point was that nobody in our gym feels threatened when they ANY local or national gym's shirts at practice..not just your program, but any program. Gym pride extends way beyond a simple shirt. Besides, it's just practice!!!

Regarding the insecurity comment - You have a good gym and a good program - it should stand on its own merits, don't you think? I had no idea it was written in your handbook - I have a copy of your handbook from when we were members and I don't see it in there, but it's obviously not a current copy. It just doesn't make any sense to me - I can see the opposite being true - how you wouldn't want another cheerleader from another program to come visit your gym mid comp season ("spying") - but the opposite? It perpetuates unnecessary animosity, IMO.

@NEliteSteven - I am not speaking on your gym's behalf; I was speaking on my gym's behalf. My post was about wearing other program's shirts to practice. We see our members sporting your gym's practice clothes all the time and nobody gives a hoot. We don't despise your gym, despite the fact that you guys sure would like to think so. The point was that nobody in our gym feels threatened when they ANY local or national gym's shirts at practice..not just your program, but any program. Gym pride extends way beyond a simple shirt. Besides, it's just practice!!!

Regarding the insecurity comment - You have a good gym and a good program - it should stand on its own merits, don't you think? I had no idea it was written in your handbook - I have a copy of your handbook from when we were members and I don't see it in there, but it's obviously not a current copy. It just doesn't make any sense to me - I can see the opposite being true - how you wouldn't want another cheerleader from another program to come visit your gym mid comp season ("spying") - but the opposite? It perpetuates unnecessary animosity, IMO.

:rolleyes: Uh, you did speak on their behalf.:D You described their practice clothes policy in your second sentence. Telling someone to take a chill pill is a little like unnecessary animosity.
That said, back to the topic. We have a very strict policy on what to wear down to the color bow once practice clothes arrive, but given the amount of t-shirt trading that goes on at Worlds, we have t-shirts show up all summer from all over the place provided they are black. ;) MY CP's team rocks the Johnny Cash look all summer, they practice all in black.

:rolleyes: Uh, you did speak on their behalf.:D You described their practice clothes policy in your second sentence. Telling someone to take a chill pill is a little like unnecessary animosity.
That said, back to the topic. We have a very strict policy on what to wear down to the color bow once practice clothes arrive, but given the amount of t-shirt trading that goes on at Worlds, we have t-shirts show up all summer from all over the place provided they are black. ;) MY CP's team rocks the Johnny Cash look all summer, they practice all in black.
I did not speak on their behalf. I did not mention their gym's name. I was very vague. All I said was a local gym. We have several local gyms in our area. The chill pill icon was in reference to the suspension incident. I never told anyone to take one. Nice try, though. ;)

Oh my goodness people are touchy here. It was in reference to the suspension incident, and it was meant to support the incident in general. Yes, I think the entire program should chill out on that issue. That's my opinion. As I indicated, the program is a good one and should stand on its own merits. Telling people that they can't visit other programs is kind of like saying "you committed to my program and for the entire year, no matter what, you can't look at any other programs, no matter how unhappy you are. If you are unhappy - too bad, you can't look elsewhere or else you're suspended." THAT is what I think portrays itself as insecure, and should be "chilled out", hence the :chillpill:.

Back to the topic at hand, I feel bad for someone who cannot wear another gym's shirt to practice. This, of course, goes to the people who do not have mandatory practice clothes.

I really didn't know what gym she was referring to nor did I care or did it mean that much to me to try to look it up and figure it out....

But now I know and it's not because of her! Just sayin'...

Oh my goodness people are touchy here. It was in reference to the suspension incident, and it was meant to support the incident in general. Yes, I think the entire program should chill out on that issue. That's my opinion. As I indicated, the program is a good one and should stand on its own merits. Telling people that they can't visit other programs is kind of like saying "you committed to my program and for the entire year, no matter what, you can't look at any other programs, no matter how unhappy you are. If you are unhappy - too bad, you can't look elsewhere or else you're suspended." THAT is what I think portrays itself as insecure, and should be "chilled out", hence the :chillpill:.

Back to the topic at hand, I feel bad for someone who cannot wear another gym's shirt to practice. This, of course, goes to the people who do not have mandatory practice clothes.

And we do have mandatory practice wear, so I really don't understand your issue.

You can look elsewhere, absolutely. But if you can do it between March and May, that'd be great. Our gym has continuously gotten better every year, even with losing kids, so it's not really an insecurity. It seemed to have helped. Sounds like you're more concerned with our lack of reaction.

Back