All-Star Change Of Small Gym To 125 Or Less

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If they don't cross compete among locations, I don't see a problem with that.

There are many huge advantages to being part of a big gym. With that said as long as the rules allow this, it is what it is.

Under these rules, I believe CP's gym would be small or if not small, very close.

I still think the easiest way to do all of this is to have a "World division" and a "National Division" for gyms and let every gym self-select at the start of the season. Only "Worlds" gyms are eligible for Worlds bids. Divisions are split when numbers warrant it.

You either want to go against the (typically) strongest gyms in the country or you don't. You shouldn't get to cherry pick by division or competition. No counting athletes or trying to keep up with Tax IDs, etc.

This was always my favorite option, with a D2/D2 set up for Worlds only second and then D2 only coming into play if the former options were not implemented. IMO with Summit, Varsity is not going to lose the money they once would of with people not chasing Worlds Bids. It will just come in under a different line item, so to speak.

There are many huge advantages to being part of a big gym. With that said as long as the rules allow this, it is what it is.
If they don't cross staff or athletes, what competitive advantages are there? Honest question because I can't think of any.

If they don't cross staff or athletes, what competitive advantages are there? Honest question because I can't think of any.

Large gyms usually have more money, experience, and expertise behind them. They also have connections to top Coaches, choreographers, and more. Imagine being able to consult with BlueCat as needed to help make your team as strong as possible.

Last edited:
Top Gun Orlando has two locations that are about 30 minutes from each other. The smaller of the locations will be competing as a Division 2 gym for this upcoming season. Per the information they have advertised so far, this gym will have lower tuition and will not travel to any overnight competitions. The competition schedule will be different from the one the larger location will have, and will they be going for bids to the NSPA Summit. These teams will wear the less expensive uniform that was worn by the half season teams during this last season. They hope to have levels 1, 2, and 3, but are waiting to see who attends tryouts. I believe the hope is to provide a lower cost, full season option for families.

Last edited:
I will give an example last season we were at Woodlands elite. We were at the Magnolia location. It had 4 competitive teams. At first glance it looks like a small gym. We loved it. The only reason we aren't there again is the long drive (we live 1 1/2 hours one way) and my finances. We had so many amazing advantages. Our Coaches could collaborate with the owners and other directors to constantly improve our teams. We had access to experts in stunting and all areas of cheer. If the choreography wasn't working our gym was able to bring in top choreographers to make changes as needed throughout the year. We had the best of everything. Our music was awesome, it was very unique and designed specifically for our team. If athletes left or were injured we were able to replace them quickly because the name "Woodlands Elite" attracted customers through out the season. We were previously at a true small gym for many years. I can honestly say the two experiences were drastically different. Small gyms are great too, but very different. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

Want to add all the Woodlands Elite locations competed as large gym.

Last edited:
Top Gun Orlando has two locations that are about 30 minutes from each other. The smaller of the locations will be competing as a Division 2 gym for this upcoming season. Per the information they have advertised so far, this gym will have lower tuition and will not travel to any overnight competitions. The competition schedule will be different from the one the larger location will have, and will they be going for bids to the NSPA Summit. These teams will wear the less expensive uniform that was worn by the half season teams during this last season. They hope to have levels 1, 2, and 3, but are waiting to see who attends tryouts. I believe the hope is to provide a lower cost, full season option for families.

This information is absolutely true. If anyone on the board is curious about the small gym location tryout information please feel free to contact me! With the cost of competitive cheerleading on the rise, I believe it is extremely important to offer families another alternative.

I don't even know how to feel about this. Obviously totally different since cheer is way way smaller in Sweden so there's really no such thing as small/big gym, no true gyms at all really since no one has their own building to be in. But anyway. My 'gym' would be considered big for this upcoming season with the interest we have. This season we have about 100 athletes, even though it's only our second season existing and first competing. We have 2 teams competing this season + non comp, but will have 4 full teams and 2 group stunts next season + two non competing teams. But I could never even imagine us being considered near a large gym yet. We do all the choreo ourselves, are non-profit, never had an outside coach of any kind come in to help. Isn't 125 athletes very few?? And how can that be the only factor into whether or not a gym is small or large? Why isn't economics and such considered?

It can be confusing. In the past it was called small gym and large gym. Division 1 & 2 are the new terms.

Also, important to note, is that we don't all necessarily know how any program is "organized". What may appear to all be ONE program... may, in fact, be franchisees or a combination of "owned and operated" and "franchises". Of course that also should impact the cross competing between different locations. I mean if you are a small gym with one location... you really shouldn't then be a small gym "borrowing" athletes from another location.

Also, important to note, is that we don't all necessarily know how any program is "organized". What may appear to all be ONE program... may, in fact, be franchisees or a combination of "owned and operated" and "franchises". Of course that also should impact the cross competing between different locations. I mean if you are a small gym with one location... you really shouldn't then be a small gym "borrowing" athletes from another location.

You shouldn't be, but it will happen because there is no effective way in place to monitor it.

Back