All-Star Cheer Extreme Questions And Answers From Courtney

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Courtney's method is something you would just have to see to understand. Im going to use my cp as an example. Madison tried out last year with a standing tuck that she could land 75% of the time and a full. No jumps to back. Most gyms would have deemed her a level 4 athlete. Courtney took a leap of faith hoping that she would rise to the challenges of level 5 and be motivated by the veteran kids on that team.She was placed on a youth level 5 team. It must have worked. Madison tried out this season with a double full, 2 to full, jumps to back, ect...
First, congrats to you child for improving that much over the year.

Now, can you tell me which youth level 5 team in the country would NOT have put a kid with those same skills on the team.

First, congrats to you child for improving that much over the year.

Now, can you tell me which youth level 5 team in the country would NOT have put a kid with those same skills on the team.

Thanks Socrates. I have never coached a team. I just know some gyms around town local to me require you to have the minimum running and standing skills required for the level you are trying out for. For level 5, it was 3 jumps to a tuck and a full on the floor with out a spot. She met the running but did not meet the standing. I have had friends that had a child who only met half the criteria, and the coaches made them do the level that they met all of the requirements for. Like I said, I have never coached a team. I just think Courtney's method was extremely beneficial to my daughters skill development this year. :) Oh, and I have heard that some gyms around here wont let you compete a skill you didnt try out with. Courtney is different in that respect too. She encourages new skills all the time and lets the kids compete them as long as they can be done safely (and hopefully reliably) :)

Thanks Socrates. I have never coached a team. I just know some gyms around town local to me require you to have the minimum running and standing skills required for the level you are trying out for. For level 5, it was 3 jumps to a tuck and a full on the floor with out a spot. She met the running but did not meet the standing. I have had friends that had a child who only met half the criteria, and the coaches made them do the level that they met all of the requirements for. Like I said, I have never coached a team. I just think Courtney's method was extremely beneficial to my daughters skill development this year. :) Oh, and I have heard that some gyms around here wont let you compete a skill you didnt try out with. Courtney is different in that respect too. She encourages new skills all the time and lets the kids compete them as long as they can be done safely (and hopefully reliably) :)

A.) Im curious which level 5 youth team around you has these squad skills. I'm thinking off the top of my head and there were about five youth 5 teams this past season. CEA, CA, Rays, WC, and ECE. I'm sure I am missing one or two, but, I don't know of one in the NC/SC area.

B.) Really?!?!? Are they trying to go out of business?

Oh, and I have heard that some gyms around here wont let you compete a skill you didnt try out with. Courtney is different in that respect too. She encourages new skills all the time and lets the kids compete them as long as they can be done safely (and hopefully reliably) :)

I have never heard of a gym that suggests that you can only compete the skills you tried out with. If that was the case, our mini 2 team last year would've had about four kids doing robhs instead of 85 percent of the team.

Anyone else know of the kind of rule?

I have never heard of a gym that suggests that you can only compete the skills you tried out with. If that was the case, our mini 2 team last year would've had about four kids doing robhs instead of 85 percent of the team.

Anyone else know of the kind of rule?

Sounds like your gym is a lot like CEA in that respect. I know quite a few gyms that would have made that mini team a level 1 team rather than taking the risk..

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they weren't talking about youth 5 when they were talking about having all the required skills.

my guess is that its an exaggeration of the truth about not letting you compete what you didn't tryout with, but if you already had to have the skills at tryouts to make that level team then you would already have the skills that you would throw in the routine.

Do you ever watch 2by2 videos' slow-motion shots and pick on your athletes for finer points in detail? Like legs crossing or bending in fulls etc? Not suggesting your athletes aren't perfect ;) just that I know I've watched myself on video and look totally different to what I think I'm doing in my head!

Courtney's method is something you would just have to see to understand. Im going to use my cp as an example. Madison tried out last year with a standing tuck that she could land 75% of the time and a full. No jumps to back. Most gyms would have deemed her a level 4 athlete. Courtney took a leap of faith hoping that she would rise to the challenges of level 5 and be motivated by the veteran kids on that team.She was placed on a youth level 5 team. It must have worked. Madison tried out this season with a double full, 2 to full, jumps to back, ect...

First bolded section: I don't understand how a youth teams has veterans.

Second bolded section: Did you pay for private lessons? If so, this is not "Courtney's method".

How did you/your program come up with the goal of Senior Elite doing squad stretch to stretch tick tocks for the first time (2006-07, correct me if I'm wrong)? Did you just see it and work at it for a few years, or did it just happen to be one fateful year?

and for everyone on this thread, leave @cljacks99 alone. God, you think she would have said she made her daughter pull the car to practice with a rope the way some of you guys are wording your responses/sassy comments.

Back