Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

prob one of my biggest pet peeves would have to be ...... people saying cheering is NOT a sport ??? REALLY? and you think chess playing is ? i have to say i dont think side line cheering is a sport but allstars ?? come on how is it not a sport ??? i would love to watch everyone who calls it not a sort try it and then tell us its still not a sport cause when you go up against 20 teams in one division .... how do you say thats not a sport ? we prob compete against more teams in one year then some people play other "sports" against in the whole life
ikr! Like one of my friends said, we may wear sparkly make up and curl our hair but we are athletes so get over it!

No it's good sportsmanship to WAIT until your team is announced to start celebrating.......that's what we teach our kids in my gym. Every team deserves their OWN time to celebrate, whether it's 10th place, 3rd, or 1st. Every team deserves the chance to celebrate as if they won 1st place. So as hard as it is for them to contain themselves, they try to hold it in until the 2nd place team is done jumping and hugging and crying, etc. Once their name is called for 1st, then they can celebrate and do standing fulls on the awards mat for all I care, lol. It's about respect. I don't expect them to sit there like complete drones, but they do not burst out in true celebration until they are called. To me, that's just common courtesy.
I second that 100%

They actually do that? Oh my god.

Yeah, they do. This past year she was one of the oldest on the team, and a little heavier than some of the girls, she gets put in the air b/c of her experience at flying. Some parents get ticked (especially 1st year parents) b/c their kids are smaller, they should fly, whatever blah blah. And then comes the interrogation "how much does she weight" "has she flown" "they should put the littler ones in the air.." All of that. What they don't look at is that she is going to age out of mini after this season, and they want her to be ready to *really* fly next season when she is 9. She is small enough that when she goes to youth division, they won't have any other positions for her than to fly because a lot of the kids in that division are literally twice her size.

-When some teams win just because they're a well-known program and the other gyms are small (IMO, Iowa should have won instead of Top Gun at Jam Supernationals this year)
-When people show up late to competitions holding a Polar Pop
-When people don't stretch thoroughly before competitions
-When teams don't match their hair and makeup
-Teams that have some girls wear crop tops but have the bigger girls wear full-length tops- I would be so offended! If you have bigger girls, EVERYONE on your team should wear full-length tops!
-Small bows. 'Nuf said.
-People who don't put their hair up high enough or don't secure it so it falls down and you can't see our gorgeous bows!
-Small, pointless competitions. I want to get nervous and have that adrenaline rush, not feel like I have it in the bag and don't have to try!
-Cheer moms that gossip about girls on their daughters' teams.

fetus flyers, flyers that have no flexibility. toes not pointed. Teams that give up on their routine if they have an issue. parents who think if they brown nose they can get their child on a better team:D

- Negative attitudes. I really don't understand why you're here if you don't want to put the effort in to do anything.
- When someone who has never cheered in their life tells you how to do something or how to fix it. Example: "You should land on your toes when you go into your stunt." Why? So I can fall on my face?
- Sloppy motions. You barely have to try to get clean motions.
- Sloppy jumps. It's one thing to have low jumps, but can't they at least be clean?
- Flyers that don't hold their weight or keep tight. At all. I don't care if you're 10lbs. You feel like 500lbs when you're dead weight.
- Bent leg scales
- Spread eagle looking toe touches

Back