Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When high school girls think cheering at games and stuff is actually cheerleading. haha

High school cheerleading and college cheerleading (without the stunts) is what came first. All Stars is a recent development. I don't know why you think something without a cheer (because most don't cheer doing routine anymore) can be called cheerleading. High School girls actually cheer. As the name implies. All Star cheerleaders don't. I think All stars is cheerleading too (I do both) but I think that high school cheerleading should be respected because it came first.

not to be offensive but for the most part, anything that the high school routinese have annoy me. the routines are slow, sloppy, timing is terrible and their skill level just aren't up to par. another big pet-peeve is bent wrists in any basic motion
Not all the high school routines are like that. Every team has a different skill level. Maybe the high school routines in your area aren't that exciting? also, if you spend a majority of the time watching all stars then you are going to think that H.S. cheerleaders don't have their skills up to par. But they obviously do have enough skill to make the team. So stop hatin.

Not all the high school routines are like that. Every team has a different skill level. Maybe the high school routines in your area aren't that exciting? also, if you spend a majority of the time watching all stars then you are going to think that H.S. cheerleaders don't have their skills up to par. But they obviously do have enough skill to make the team. So stop hatin.
can't agree any more!! people are so rude to high school cheerleaders and give them no credit! I can show you many many high school routines that are better than senior level 1-5 teams!! love both types of cheer and think that both need respect from cheerleaders all over : )

can't agree any more!! people are so rude to high school cheerleaders and give them no credit! I can show you many many high school routines that are better than senior level 1-5 teams!! love both types of cheer and think that both need respect from cheerleaders all over : )
One of my biggest pet peeves about cheer - All star cheerleaders discriminating against high school cheerleaders

My biggest pet peeve as a coach is the teammate who thinks that they are better then everyone else on the team.

High school cheerleading and college cheerleading (without the stunts) is what came first. All Stars is a recent development. I don't know why you think something without a cheer (because most don't cheer doing routine anymore) can be called cheerleading. High School girls actually cheer. As the name implies. All Star cheerleaders don't. I think All stars is cheerleading too (I do both) but I think that high school cheerleading should be respected because it came first.

I'm a high school cheerleader that couldn't agree with you more!! It definitely doesn't get the respect it deserves. So thank you, I guess. :) haha

Most of mine have already been said, but I'll put in my two cents!! :)
-When a flyer hits the ground; inexcusable... this goes for practices too, but especially at competition! If it's going on the floor, I shouldn't have to fight the urge to run onto the mat and spot your stunt for you...
-When flexibility isn't really flexibility; if you're going to show me a scale that like bends at a right angle or an arabesque that's not perpendicular to the floor, keep stretching... don't put it in a stunt
-People who save seats at venues...
-Teams that don't clap for other teams at awards
-Teams who scream and jump up and down when they've realized they've won after second place is announced; let everyone have their moment... you'll get yours in about 45 seconds...
-ANYONE who gives up... it's only 2.5 minutes; I totally get being frustrated and disappointed if a stunt doesn't hit or your tumbling pass isn't perfect, but don't just sulk on the floor or hold your flyer in smush and look around confused... every second is an opportunity to make up points!
-Flyers that look terrified... love what you do... trust your bases... I hate watching someone in the air who looks like they're about to cry! :(
-Teammates that don't support each other... even if the routine doesn't go perfectly, it's only one routine and you still have to see each other in the gym at the next practice! Don't come off the floor and start blaming!
-Skills that are obviously just put in because an athlete can "do" it, but have no technique: bent arms/legs in back handsprings, crossed legs and bad angles on fulls/doubles, feet that come apart in smush, etc.

- when cheerleaders have tattoos or piercings showing during practice/comps
- when people walk around in sports bras and spanks at comps
- when people say cheerleading isn't a sport
- when, as a flyer, people tell me i give up. OBVI IF IM GETTING IN THE AIR IM TRYING.
- when i perform at 9am and awards aren't until 11pm
- when awards take forever
- when other teams giveyou dirty looks because you're competing against them

UGH!
in what way? cause i roll up my sleeves and you can just see them, and my piercings i cant hide!

in what way? cause i roll up my sleeves and you can just see them, and my piercings i cant hide!
I agree. Cheerleaders are people, too! We should be allowed to show our tattoos if we want. If it was a serious problem, there would be a rule against. And if girls have piercings in while competing, that's one thing. But just hangin' at comp? That shouldn't really be an issue.

Cheer pet peeve: When all star cheerleaders think HS cheering isn't a sport! If you're defending cheerleading but then switch up your argument when saying it's a sport and saying only all star is, it hurts us hs cheerleaders. We work just as hard as you. @alexismarie is 100% correct! :)

-People who cheer because they think it's easy or we're just there to jump around and look "cute"

O my gosh...On my high school team, We had a girl get hurt the week before competition. I had already recommended to the coach a girl who could tumble and stunt and could fill in perfectly. However, they had to have a "try-out" just to be fair. My idiot co-captian brings all of her friends (obviously none of which I'm friends with) to this try-out. Not one of them had ever cheered, did gymnastics, or even danced before. She spent the whole night teaching them motions. Needless to say they just wanted to put on the uniform on for the guys and my co-captain just wanted to cheer with all of her friends....and my co-captian was trying to convince the coach to take all of them....

I would never quit over a coaches decision but if my co-captian would have convinced them to take all of those girls who could not cheer what so ever, I would have quit on the spot, because thats ridiculous.

Back