Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I understand that but I really meant was one athlete who may be younger and not advanced as you tries to give you corrections on a skill they do not have. Also coaches go through training in order to understand the skill more than they did in the past. So there fore their corrections will benefit you.
I can understand that, since teammates can sometimes give incorrect advice For that treason, you are better off sticking with a coach's advice. However, do not make the mistake of underestimating the knowledge of those with less skill than you. :)

Last edited:
I can understand that, since teammates can sometimes give incorrect advice For that treason, you are better off sticking with a coach's advice. However, do not make the mistake of underestimating the knowledge of those with less skill than you. :)
True, not to pick a fight or anything but sometimes their advice is not always the best advice to stick with or take since they have never thrown the skill themselves.

:deadhorse: I forgot one: when, in the comments under an article insulting cheerleading (written by some bubblebrained fool, of course) cheerleaders try to defend cheer by resorting to base insults and curse words and using (what they don't realize to be) deplorable grammar.

Way to make us look bad.

#2 (I know I said that I only forgot one but now I'm angry again so the peeves are flowing): When a cheer team sucks and gets mad that nobody respects them.
#3: Ugly uniforms. This has been said countless times, but ugly uniforms are truly an insult to cheerleading and a slap to the soul.

#4: When articles about cheer, written by non-cheer people (let's call them NCPs from now on) open their pieces with some cheddary line from the 1950s (e.g. gimme an A!).

#5: I wish I could use some choice words to talk about this one, but I have a reputation to uphold: when people claim that cheer started in the NFL, or that it was invented to oppress women (I had no idea that such stupid people exist, I'm not sure whether I want to laugh or vomit when they open their mouths...)

#6: Parents that behave as if Armageddon has begun when their son or daughter asks to do cheerleading, and frantically try to get him or her (usually her) interested in something else.

#7: People who claim, "you can have pickup soccer/basketball/football/baseball/tennis matches when you're an adult, but you can't have pickup cheerleading matches!"

True, but you can still tumble and stunt. Well, not YOU (or 99% of the population, for that matter), but you get my point.

#8: When parents in other sports get mad when cheerleaders get celebrated for their hard work and claim that cheerleading is pointless (only because they don't like it), and claim that spotlight is being taken from other students. Funny how their tune changes when it's their kid being celebrated.

#8: When gymnasts rag on cheerleading. This part really needs no explanation. I get that you guys hate our hanky tumbling, but those of you that insult us with stereotypes aren't doing yourself any favors.

#9: People-- I'm sorry, numbskulled fungus-eating toefaces who say,"cheerleading? Why can' you put your daughter in dance or gymnastics? It's the same thing. What's cheerleading (insert digusted face) going to teach her? How to date the football team?
:cow:

MOO YOU, CHEER HATER!

(shortened your post)
On #9 I actually had someone say something very similar to me when my daughter first started. And, no lie, my response was, no, it's going to teach her to kick your *ss because she can lift another human. WTH can you do?

And I wanted to add, now go over there and tell her dad that and, yes, that IS a gun in his pocket. Good luck!

I mean, really, who says stuff like that?

(shortened your post)
On #9 I actually had someone say something very similar to me when my daughter first started. And, no lie, my response was, no, it's going to teach her to kick your *ss because she can lift another human. WTH can you do?

And I wanted to add, now go over there and tell her dad that and, yes, that IS a gun in his pocket. Good luck!

I mean, really, who says stuff like that?

Um. Wow.

When kids are so pressed to pull a "needle" even though they're nowhere close to having the flexibility for it.

They post "needle pics" on social media, get comments such as "OMG you're so flexible, I wanna BE YOU" but you can look at the pic and tell that they're pulling and holding on to that back leg for dear life.

Why thank you, @ACEDAD .

@Cheermom1969 I can only imagine the look that he/she had on her face! Seeing your kid's skills would probably shut them up for good!

I find it funniest when people like that happen to live in hardcore cheer states.

Why thank you, @ACEDAD .

@Cheermom1969 I can only imagine the look that he/she had on her face! Seeing your kid's skills would probably shut them up for good!

I find it funniest when people like that happen to live in hardcore cheer states.

It was a friend of ours and he just laughed. It was something about her cheering so she can flirt with the football players. Idiot.

Why thank you, @ACEDAD .

I have a friend who moved here from Atlanta last year. She was asking me questions about allstar cheer like she had never heard about it before. I was like "you've never heard of stingrays?" Nope. Nothing.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

*HS B-Ball team wins state, they're overjoyed.*
NCP Reaction: Great job, kids! It must be wonderful to achieve something so great in HS.

*HS Cheer team wins Nationals, they're overjoyed.*
NCP Reaction: Wow, sad that their biggest goal in life is to win a silly little competition. Where will that take them in life? I bet they'll all end up in abusive relationships with tons of kids and no money because they got by in HS on their looks. You won't always be popular!
-----------------------------------------------
Yes, people actually say things like that. Grown people.

I'm sure you guys have also heard the stereotype that all cheerleaders have daddy issues... some people never cease to amaze me with their ignorance.

Last edited:
When coaches can't coach teams to win at all star and they can't coach them to win at school. So they resort to cheating in the rec division.

Hey if you can't hang with the big dogs then go kick the little ones.

I forgot one: when, in the comments under an article insulting cheerleading (written by some bubblebrained fool, of course) cheerleaders try to defend cheer by resorting to base insults and curse words and using (what they don't realize to be) deplorable grammar.

Way to make us look bad.

#2 (I know I said that I only forgot one but now I'm angry again so the peeves are flowing): When a cheer team is awful and gets mad that nobody respects them.

#3: Ugly uniforms. This has been said countless times, but ugly uniforms are truly an insult to cheerleading and a slap to the soul.

#4: When articles about cheer, written by non-cheer people (let's call them NCPs from now on) open their pieces with some cheddary line from the 1950s (e.g. gimme an A!).

#5: I wish I could use some choice words to talk about this one, but I have a reputation to uphold: when people claim that cheer started in the NFL, or that it was invented to oppress women (I had no idea that such stupid people exist, I'm not sure whether I want to laugh or vomit when they open their mouths...)

#6: Parents that behave as if Armageddon has begun when their son or daughter asks to do cheerleading, and frantically try to get him or her (usually her) interested in something else.

#7: People who claim, "you can have pickup soccer/basketball/football/baseball/tennis matches when you're an adult, but you can't have pickup cheerleading matches!"

True, but you can still tumble and stunt. Well, not YOU (or 99% of the population, for that matter), but you get my point.

#8: When parents in other sports get mad when cheerleaders get celebrated for their hard work and claim that cheerleading is pointless (only because they don't like it), and claim that spotlight is being taken from other students. Funny how their tune changes when it's their kid being celebrated.

#8: When gymnasts rag on cheerleading. This part really needs no explanation. I get that you guys hate our janky tumbling, but those of you that insult us with stereotypes aren't doing yourself any favors.

#9: People-- I'm sorry, numbskulled fungus-eating toefaces who say,"cheerleading? Why can' you put your daughter in dance or gymnastics? It's the same thing. What's cheerleading (insert digusted face) going to teach her? How to date the football team?
:cow:

MOO YOU, CHEER HATER!

#10: The phrase, "if cheerleading is a sport, then (insert ridiculously easy everyday activity) is a sport.

Please, don't embarrassing yourself.

#10: Overbearing relatives and "friends" that that dedicate as much time as possible to convincing you to take your daughter out of cheerleading because according them, it will scar her for life and ruin her future, and they're "only trying to save her". After all, they know what your kid needs better than you do.

#11: People who give you a dirty look when you say that you or your child are/is a cheerleader.

#12: When people claim that "one day, all you cheerleaders (disgusted tone of voice) are going to wake up and realize that cheerleading is useless and won't get you anywhere in life. And your looks will fade eventually (because we all look like models...). And people won't worship you like they do now."

Just shut up. Trust me it's for your own good.

#13: Mediocre conditioning.

#14: Risque uniforms on young teams.

#15: Parents that will support their kid at games, etc for a conventional sport but won't support their kid at games and competitions because they don't like cheer. It's even worse when one kid cheers and the other doesn't, and they give all of their support to the one that doesn't, but none to the one that cheers.

#16: Parents that complain that cheer uniforms are inappropriate while allowing their child to play a sport that requires its athletes to wear much less than the average cheerleader (some of them don't even blink when their kids attend school scantily clad).

#17: People who claim that their school's cheerleaders are doing every bad thing imaginable (drinking, drug use, bullying, etc.) when in reality, those girls are at practice, games, comps and fundraisers. The complainers' kids, on the other hand, are getting buckwild at a weekend party.

I think I've spewed enough lava for tonight. Good night, cheer world.

No, I haven't.

#18:

New Mom #1: I really want my infant daughter to run track someday.
Response: oh how cute, maybe she ran track in high school.

New Mom #2: I really want my infant daughter to be a cheerleader someday.
Response: STOP TRYING TO RELIVE HIGH SCHOOL THROUGH YOUR KID! ALERT! ALERT! CRAZY CHEER MOM! BURN THE WIIIIITCH!

#19: People who fear that their son is gay because he likes cheerleading.

#20: People who get suspicious of heterosexual adult men that are passionate about cheerleading. No, not every man that loves cheer is a pedophile.

#21: People who think that they understand cheerleading competitions without ever having been to one.

#22: Shady, crooked judges.

#23: Ridiculous scoring systems (I'm looking at you, Comparative Scoring).

#24: Weak libs and bent-leg arabesques. Believe me when I say that nothing looks more beautiful than a straight-leg arabesque with open hips.
On #17....I love this one! I'm not very sure why people have created such a negative portrayal of a cheerleader. At CP's HS it's made very clear before you even tryout the expectations and standards that you have to uphold. Cheer is not "huge" in our state compared to others, but this season I was very impressed @ the parent meeting when we found out that we are getting support from the athletic club. During FB season whether it's raining, snowing, ect.. They are out there stunting, cheering, tumbling, ect. They do so much fundraising, responsible for pep rallies, maintaining GPAs and also the Varsity squad decided to "big sister" the middle school squad. On top of that they also have gymnastics 2-3 days per week and other activities. And making the team is not about being the most popular girl. The coaches decide who is on the team and there is no favoritism nor does any athlete have any input on the coaches decision. No captains either! The coaches depend on the seniors to lead! I'm a admittedly "reformed" parent as my CP's always did all star. I gained a whole new respect for HS cheerleaders when my oldest cp decided to switch and do HS cheer. You can't do all star and HS comp cheer in the same season. Again I have a whole new respect for the cheerleaders and coaches.
It does make a very long cheer season for me as between Friday football games and HS comps and my all star CP's comps schedule will be crazy!

On #17....I love this one! I'm not very sure why people have created such a negative portrayal of a cheerleader. At CP's HS it's made very clear before you even tryout the expectations and standards that you have to uphold. Cheer is not "huge" in our state compared to others, but this season I was very impressed @ the parent meeting when we found out that we are getting support from the athletic club. During FB season whether it's raining, snowing, ect.. They are out there stunting, cheering, tumbling, ect. They do so much fundraising, responsible for pep rallies, maintaining GPAs and also the Varsity squad decided to "big sister" the middle school squad. On top of that they also have gymnastics 2-3 days per week and other activities. And making the team is not about being the most popular girl. The coaches decide who is on the team and there is no favoritism nor does any athlete have any input on the coaches decision. No captains either! The coaches depend on the seniors to lead! I'm a admittedly "reformed" parent as my CP's always did all star. I gained a whole new respect for HS cheerleaders when my oldest cp decided to switch and do HS cheer. You can't do all star and HS comp cheer in the same season. Again I have a whole new respect for the cheerleaders and coaches.
It does make a very long cheer season for me as between Friday football games and HS comps and my all star CP's comps schedule will be crazy!
Yes, PLD's cheerleaders were practicing 27 hours a week to prepare for states (not even Nationals, but states) a couple of years back.

Back