Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While I can see your point, I don't fully agree. I can't do a backhandspring but I can sure as heck tell someone that she needs to keep her feet together/ legs straight.

Well yeah of course there's stuff like that, but i was more meaning along the lines of how to stunt or body shapes and flex and what not.

Had this girl at my old gym, drove me nuts telling me I was standing wrong, I was stretching wrong, my grip in extension was wrong cause I turned one of my hands to make it more comfortable while we moved. I cradled wrong, I pulled a shape incorrectly when I was pulling it correctly. That type of stuff

Well yeah of course there's stuff like that, but i was more meaning along the lines of how to stunt or body shapes and flex and what not.

Had this girl at my old gym, drove me nuts telling me I was standing wrong, I was stretching wrong, my grip in extension was wrong cause I turned one of my hands to make it more comfortable while we moved. I cradled wrong, I pulled a shape incorrectly when I was pulling it correctly. That type of stuff
Sounds like basically you had a know-it-all in the gym. Lol. She was telling you stuff was wrong when it was working anyway. Yeah I'd put that on my list of cheer pet peeves too!

Sounds like basically you had a know-it-all in the gym. Lol. She was telling you stuff was wrong when it was working anyway. Yeah I'd put that on my list of cheer pet peeves too!

We also did dance together while I was working doubles and fortaes she had to condition cause she wouldn't hold herself up. She then goes to complain that I'm not conditioning and then correct me cause I fell out of an attempt at a triple (please excuse me while I hit my head against this lovely and pretty brick wall!! )

If you have to switch gyms (for any reason) & old teammates/old coaches hold a grudge... It's nobody's business but the athletes!

Omg! This is me right now!! Just switched gyms (already more happy at my new gym then my old one) my coaches at my old gym never really liked me so I'm sure they'll have one or five things to say when they find out :/ I am not looking forward to seeing them at our first comp

Also coaches that tell you the basics of how to do the stunt/tumbling skill and say "just do it", rather than to take the time and actually show the proper technique.

My other favorite thing from other coaches that makes me cringe is the ever-popular "JUST THROW IT."

Especially in regards to kids who are recently cleared from injuries.

If you have ever been injured doing a skill, you know that "just throw it" is not going to make it happen.

Same with mental blocks.

You can yell at blocked kid and threaten to replace all you want, but that won't make it happen faster.

Is there a time when you may need to move forward with someone else if a kid is not throwing something? Sure.

But standing at the side of a mat going "JUST THROW IT! I don't have time for this!" is not appropriate.

Back