Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Teams that show up to UCA Nationals with abysmal crowd-leading skills.

Teams that use a "beat those cats" cheer in a UCA routine. Not every game cheer is okay for competition.

Last edited:
-A coach that tells everyone on the team that they're replaceable.
-The level 5 athlete who clearly can't tumble so they squat in the back during running tumbling.
-Coaches who are always late to practice.
Omg couldn't agree with you more. Coaches who are late to practice is very unprofessional. Especially when they know they're going to be a few minutes late and they don't have a temporary substitute there until she/he gets there.

What really irritates me the most, is when high school and all star team uses voice overs that talks about another team, and they're routine has been looking a hot mess all season. It's different if you start off good but then have a few bad competitions, but if you just flat out had a horrible season from day one, then you shouldn't use voice overs that talk smack about your competition.

It really ends up looking bad when you loose to then and then you end up becoming a non-intimidation factor.

You don't have to agree me, but a little competition is fun! However, if you know you don't have a shot at a beating the certain team or teams you're calling out, don't talk smack about them in the voice overs. Especially if the voice overs stand out.

It's really embarrassing.

1- Girls/Boys that do not come prepared to practice (missing sneakers, no practice wear, etc)
2- Loose hair then I get the complaints "This one pulled my hair when she pushed off my shoulders" well don't leave your hair down- THIS DRIVES ME INSANE!!! PICK YOUR HAIR UP!!!!
3- Unorganized competitions (i.e., original mat time is now 30mins later because a team showed up late, or a last minute team signed up, or there isn't enough staff to help)
4- Not all but some competition Food Vendors or Just their own concession stand... seriously? FEED ME!!! I'M HUNGRY!! I've been up since possibly 4am/5am and its already 2pm haven't eaten and all you have is a shriveled cold hot dog?? argh
5- Girls that wait until the last minute to get what they need for a competition whether local or away - I've been harrassing you for 4 months with a list and we are leaving in 20 mins, now you're going to cry that you couldn't find black spanx for under your skirt??? SERIOUSLY!!! or the best one was i lost my sneakers 2 months ago so i've been practicing for months with my old ones that don't feet but decided to wait until friay at 5pm to try to find cheer sneakers and we compete saturday at 9am
6- Coaches that don't know how to have a good time (yes I stress as a coach but come awards whether they do bad or good I am on that mat dancing and singing with them... my girls need to know yes if we lose it hurts but u have the memory of saying remember how funny our coach looked trying to do the wop or wobble or whatever lol) PRICELESS!!0
7- Coaches that are numb while their team performs... come on get up yell happily tell them they can do it... yes they're watching the judges but they're watching u too!!!! They want your approval!!! or at least show them you got energy with them...
8- Coaches that shut down middle of a bad season... you're just making excuses and showing your athletes that you give up... I had a horrible season (Second Place Stump the entire season).... but kept pushing through until the end and showed my girls we can do this.... if not for the win we are going to entertain the crowd!!!
9-unmotivated parents - so many events so many opportunitie to share in your child's success and you ditch... please coach/parent here and I wouldn't miss anything for the world

Final one: more for my CP then me... yea who am I kidding?!?!?!

10- WHY CAN'T WORLDS BE ON TV LIKE LIVE!!! have to wait to get aired on espn to watch just a handful of teams.... or pay to watch online (which i did this time) but when my wifi was acting up in the middle of a performance i was going to toss my MAC out the window!!! argh!!!!

Cheer coaches that don't teach tumbling that make all these demands on Suzie to get some new skill in 3 weeks or else, thereby stressing Suzie and her parents out.

Gyms that just chuck tumbling and then wonder why their kids are always getting hurt.

Assuming that because one or two kids throw a janky skill (or maybe they just missed it that one time you saw) assuming the entire program is the same way.

Coaches that find the need to comment how to fix athletes tumbling that they don't coach! You don't do it for stunting, jumps or dance but somehow feel you have the right to correct kids you haven't worked with at all and have no clue what their coach has been instructing them on. (If they ask you that is different, but still crosses a line IMO)

Coaches that change gyms more than they change their underwear, that always claim nobody treated them right as the reason they have moved so much. Uhmmmm ok. Life happens so we get that, but a new gym every 6 months to year? No.

Bad motions and sloppy transitions. Easiest points to get, why give them away?

Miserable cheerleaders. Come on it is called CHEER for a reason! Smile!!! Have fun!!!

Coaches and parents that forget that they are not the ones competing, it is the kids. Maybe you were the best cheerleader ever, or maybe you wish you were - but there comes a point where you let it go and let the kids have their time in their spotlight.

[QUOTE="
10- WHY CAN'T WORLDS BE ON TV LIKE LIVE!!! have to wait to get aired on espn to watch just a handful of teams.... or pay to watch online (which i did this time) but when my wifi was acting up in the middle of a performance i was going to toss my MAC out the window!!! argh!!!![/QUOTE]

I would love to see at least the finals of every division - it seemed like last year they only showed the top 5 of senior large coed and senior large all girl. How hard would it have been to do some other shows w/ the other divisions? And you do not know how much I hate the bad camera angles where espn won't show things like the jumps or pyramids from the front? Like they'd ever show a goofy angle where can't see what's going on in a football or basketball game!

When people complain about not doing conditioning and that they need abs and that they want a meal plan and Blah blah blah. At my gym the girls who say these things are the girls that cheat, don't try, take it for granted , get wasted before practice, etc. It's awful and VERY hypocritical.

PS.
Sorry about the rant.

Stay to Play competitions! This is the first year we are attending comps that have the Stay to Play requirements and it is extremely frustrating - and expensive. At this rate, we'll be doing the Half Year team next season and just attending local competitions.

Back